2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

It's going to be hot this weekend so hopefully that will be a boost.

Not sure how the altitude will affect us relative to other teams, but otherwise the track should suit us so we should have a decent race.

Renault will be a threat here in the race.

Fingers crossed Lando can get a trouble free weekend and claim some good points.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

mwillems wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 09:51

Not sure how the altitude will affect us relative to other teams, but otherwise the track should suit us so we should have a decent race.

Fingers crossed Lando can get a trouble free weekend and claim some good points.
The Renault engine works great in high altitude (especially the turbo) I don'tt know if that is the case with this years engine though.

M840TR
M840TR

New upgrades.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 12:52
New upgrades.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-D8UW6XkAA_3Gr.jpg:large
Definitely a game changer, ready to shake up the grid. =D>
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

kfrantzios wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 10:21
mwillems wrote:

The Renault engine works great in high altitude (especially the turbo) I don'tt know if that is the case with this years engine though.
I'm not sure there's much evidence behind this 'rumor'. It got started in Mexico 2017 where Renault failed to de-tune the engine enough which led to a comedic series of engine blow-outs but didn't effect Max's Rb13 which had good pace from chassis & because of others' relatively greater conservative maps. The Rb14 was very strong late season and their better tyre management was the most significant factor in pace during Mexican gp. Not much else to it.

_cerber1

M840TR wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 12:52
New upgrades.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-D8UW6XkAA_3Gr.jpg:large
It seems to have removed a couple of small wings, I don’t see any more updates. :D

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 12:59
kfrantzios wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I'm not sure there's much evidence behind this 'rumor'. It got started in Mexico 2017 where Renault failed to de-tune the engine enough which led to a comedic series of engine blow-outs but didn't effect Max's Rb13 which had good pace from chassis & because of others' relatively greater conservative maps. The Rb14 was very strong late season and their better tyre management was the most significant factor in pace during Mexican gp. Not much else to it.
I think there’s some validity and credibility to the Renault compliments. Even the works team were strong there last year, qualifying 7th & 8th, Hulk finishing 6th and captain slow (Stoffel Vandoorne) had a strong race and finished 8th. Let’s not forget the rare praise from Horner as well. Clearly the RB14 was strong and played a big role, but for Horner to tip his hat to Renault....

“Credit where credit is due,” Horner reflected. “Renault have provided us with an engine this weekend in these conditions that is competitive with our opponents.”...... The altitude of this circuit obviously does constrain some of our rivals, and it puts Renault into a window where they are competitive. Which is why we put an awful lot of focus into this race, taking the penalties to get another B spec into the pool to have for this weekend.”
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

mwillems

Then I guess that if this pans out to be true then with luck we may be able to trouble the Red Bulls a little in Qualifying or at least separate them, although I'd happily just take both our cars above the rest of the midfield.

Out of interest, what kinds of timings do you think this car would have to achieve for folks to state we are no longer in midfield. A few tenths off Red Bull and pushing them close every race? I bet as soon as that happened folks would say Mclaren and Red Bull were leading the 1st tier of midfield rather than Mclaren elevated to front runners.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mansell89
Mansell89

mwillems wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 14:04
Then I guess that if this pans out to be true then with luck we may be able to trouble the Red Bulls a little in Qualifying or at least separate them, although I'd happily just take both our cars above the rest of the midfield.

Out of interest, what kinds of timings do you think this car would have to achieve for folks to state we are no longer in midfield. A few tenths off Red Bull and pushing them close every race? I bet as soon as that happened folks would say Mclaren and Red Bull were leading the 1st tier of midfield rather than Mclaren elevated to front runners.
I think to be clear of the midfield and talked about with Merc, Ferrari, and Red Bull is quite some way away. Andreas Seidel indicated he felt there was another 1.0-1.5seconds to find and that the McLaren focus is on making that progress as opposed to comparing itself with the Renault works team.

I’m pleased with the signs for McLaren. Some excellent hirings within the team, addressed the drag issues from last year, complete humility running from top to bottom, an acknowledgment of the size of the gap that needs to close in the coming years, and even some progress from Renault as a PU.

If James Key can come up with the right direction for 2021, hopefully McLaren will be well set.

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 13:21
M840TR wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 12:59
kfrantzios wrote:

I think there’s some validity and credibility to the Renault compliments. Even the works team were strong there last year, qualifying 7th & 8th, Hulk finishing 6th and captain slow (Stoffel Vandoorne) had a strong race and finished 8th. Let’s not forget the rare praise from Horner as well. Clearly the RB14 was strong and played a big role, but for Horner to tip his hat to Renault....

“Credit where credit is due,” Horner reflected. “Renault have provided us with an engine this weekend in these conditions that is competitive with our opponents.”...... The altitude of this circuit obviously does constrain some of our rivals, and it puts Renault into a window where they are competitive. Which is why we put an awful lot of focus into this race, taking the penalties to get another B spec into the pool to have for this weekend.”
Renault came into the weekend with a more ideal setup direction than others. They were around p3 or p4 on Friday, 1-1.5 sec off Redbull. Almost everyone else was struggling with tyres, which accentuated the Mcl33's good tyre management too during the race. It could be argued however that Renault utilize the turbo much less relative to others but that was still much less significant a factor. Also the 2019 PU is much different than previous iterations.

Lucky
Lucky

_cerber1

Why not put Lando, he is without a penalty?

Emag
Emag

_cerber1 wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 15:15
They probably will put it on Lando's at Silverstone. They clearly want a good home grand prix, and that's why Sainz is taking the penalty here. They don't want to risk it with Lando, in case something unlucky happens in Austria.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 15:15
Maybe saving it for Silverstone.

PhillipM
PhillipM

As above, they'll put Lando's engine in for Silverstone, they put Carlos's in now to save having a penalty, that sounds like the next major package is ready for Silverstone then otherwise they would have probably left it as it is.