2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
27 May 2024, 01:40
2 McLarens in hectic top 4 at Indy! 6 laps to go! Bit more exciting than Monaco!
I stopped watching when Andretti was eliminated. Later I saw a short clip where one of the McLaren drivers took the lead.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SilviuAgo wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:44
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:38
SilviuAgo wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:36
So this weekend was P2 in F2, P2 in Formula E, P2 in F1 and wondering what will follow in Indy500 😄 For the moment the race is under threat due to rain.
Let's hope not P2.
😄😄😄
--- hell.

What a weekend.
F1 P2 and P4
FE P2
IndyCar P2 and P3
F2 P2

SilviuAgo

FittingMechanics wrote:
SilviuAgo wrote:
So this weekend was P2 in F2, P2 in Formula E, P2 in F1 and wondering what will follow in Indy500 😄 For the moment the race is under threat due to rain.
Let's hope not P2.
And isssss...P2 for Pato and P3 for Rossi :) Sorry for Zak. Was an amazing race, but lost in the last corners. That's racing.

BMMR61

LionsHeart wrote:
27 May 2024, 01:18
mwillems, this is what I found. But I am not ready to admit that this schedule can be considered realistic.
https://i.ibb.co/bdDqJtL/8918302-E-0-C5 ... BCBC64.jpg
Clearly the way the race was manipulated by Ferrari and George these graphic representations are a waste of effort. There's limited scope for making conclusions given the two traffic jams 1-4 and 5-7, and that goes for effective race pace. We need to take our hats off to the winners, we'll accept they had a narrow points victory! How much the floor damage did to Oscar's tyre situation could be argued but I'm already looking forward knowing we seem to have an effective car everywhere.

Stella mentioned some time ago 3 major upgrades fro the season, so far we are clear winners overall on upgrades. We don't know how much the Ferrari upgrades will affect the overall position v McLaren but the gap between the two teams looks like it will sway back and forth - until we introduce the next killer stroke upgrades that is!

BMMR61

SilviuAgo wrote:
27 May 2024, 01:48
FittingMechanics wrote:
SilviuAgo wrote:
Let's hope not P2.
And isssss...P2 for Pato and P3 for Rossi :) Sorry for Zak. Was an amazing race, but lost in the last corners. That's racing.
Indeed, and some time ago, Zak was questioned on the wisdom of spreading McLaren's focus. I reckon it's what Bruce would have wanted for sure. McLaren are becoming a very serious brand again.

geogate
geogate

Id be really interested to figure out exactly where the field was when the red flag dropped. Cant quite understand how the Alpines were just about to enter the tunnel, yet all the remaining field would not have passed the first timing sector.
Could have helped to have Zak there making protestations to the race director if it turned out that the remaining field have in fact been timed

Vanja #66

Stella on restart order

McLaren team principal Andrea Stella had no complaints about that decision. “In terms of the way in which the restart order was determined, I think what the FIA did was the best thing to do,” he said.

“It is in agreement with the precedents whereby you use the Safety Car Line Two when sector time is not available,” Stella said. “I don’t think using the mini sectors is a good way of doing that.

“Obviously, the whole point that’s saved Carlos today was that Zhou had not crossed the sector time at the time the race was suspended.”
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
27 May 2024, 01:57
LionsHeart wrote:
27 May 2024, 01:18
mwillems, this is what I found. But I am not ready to admit that this schedule can be considered realistic.
https://i.ibb.co/bdDqJtL/8918302-E-0-C5 ... BCBC64.jpg
Clearly the way the race was manipulated by Ferrari and George these graphic representations are a waste of effort. There's limited scope for making conclusions given the two traffic jams 1-4 and 5-7, and that goes for effective race pace. We need to take our hats off to the winners, we'll accept they had a narrow points victory! How much the floor damage did to Oscar's tyre situation could be argued but I'm already looking forward knowing we seem to have an effective car everywhere.

Stella mentioned some time ago 3 major upgrades fro the season, so far we are clear winners overall on upgrades. We don't know how much the Ferrari upgrades will affect the overall position v McLaren but the gap between the two teams looks like it will sway back and forth - until we introduce the next killer stroke upgrades that is!
Yes. It looks like everything will go in this vein.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 May 2024, 08:35
Stella on restart order

McLaren team principal Andrea Stella had no complaints about that decision. “In terms of the way in which the restart order was determined, I think what the FIA did was the best thing to do,” he said.

“It is in agreement with the precedents whereby you use the Safety Car Line Two when sector time is not available,” Stella said. “I don’t think using the mini sectors is a good way of doing that.

“Obviously, the whole point that’s saved Carlos today was that Zhou had not crossed the sector time at the time the race was suspended.”
It would seem, what does Zhou have to do with it if Sainz dropped out of the fight through his own fault and actually has to pay for his mistakes himself. And so, by the will of the judges, he was teleported to the top of the table, although he entered the pitlane on his own, clearly not third.

The driver must always pay for his driving mistakes by losing positions. In his case, this is what happened. In the last three races he is trying very hard to touch Oscar, and in two out of three cases he succeeded. He would have tried in Imola, but he didn’t have the racing pace.

From a purely technical point of view, I don’t understand how this is even possible. This is the stupidest thing in F1 so far. The fact that the stewards take a long time to consider incidents is another oddity. This should not happen in a sport that is considered the most expensive and fastest cars.

Let me also add here the inconsistency of judges on different weekends, but in the same situations. Double standards and other things. Or how “successfully” VSC or SC comes out exactly after Lando passes the entrance to the pitlane. It always seems like one team is being pulled up.

Vanja #66

LionsHeart wrote:
27 May 2024, 08:53
It would seem, what does Zhou have to do with it if Sainz dropped out of the fight through his own fault and actually has to pay for his mistakes himself. And so, by the will of the judges, he was teleported to the top of the table, although he entered the pitlane on his own, clearly not third.
I'm not a person capable of explaining this better than Stella, so I'll just rephrase him - not all cars (Zhou was the one car) finished S1 by the time red flag was up, defaulting the restart order to Safety Car line 2 order, which is pit exit. There is a precedent, as Stella noted, and everything is clear for all teams. What's more, red flag was called extremely late, at least 40s after the incident which was obviously huge and was clear there was no way the race can go on with 3 cars on such a tight track and debris everywhere...

I was wrong about the details yesterday in race thread, I was sure they still used grid order if Lap 1 was not completed before red flag, but in fact now the sector orders are taken into account. Red flag in Japan and restart order was like grid order (minus DNF cars) and this lead me to a wrong conclusion.

LionsHeart wrote:
The driver must always pay for his driving mistakes by losing positions. In his case, this is what happened. In the last three races he is trying very hard to touch Oscar, and in two out of three cases he succeeded. He would have tried in Imola, but he didn’t have the racing pace.
There was no mistake from Sainz, Oscar had a bit of a poor start and Sainz saw a gap into T1. Sainz was extremely unlucky to get a puncture in the first place after such a tiny touch. I'll leave it at that, Miami is behind and I'm not sure why it keeps getting brought up after Oscar literally pushed Sainz off track and got away with it. If Sainz did that to Oscar yesterday in T1 they would both have crashed and Lando with them, so I think we can all be grateful Sainz didn't do that
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 May 2024, 10:55
LionsHeart wrote:
I'm not a person capable of explaining this better than Stella, so I'll just rephrase him - not all cars (Zhou was the one car) finished S1 by the time red flag was up, defaulting the restart order to Safety Car line 2 order, which is pit exit. There is a precedent, as Stella noted, and everything is clear for all teams. What's more, red flag was called extremely late, at least 40s after the incident which was obviously huge and was clear there was no way the race can go on with 3 cars on such a tight track and debris everywhere...

I was wrong about the details yesterday in race thread, I was sure they still used grid order if Lap 1 was not completed before red flag, but in fact now the sector orders are taken into account. Red flag in Japan and restart order was like grid order (minus DNF cars) and this lead me to a wrong conclusion.

LionsHeart wrote:
There was no mistake from Sainz, Oscar had a bit of a poor start and Sainz saw a gap into T1. Sainz was extremely unlucky to get a puncture in the first place after such a tiny touch. I'll leave it at that, Miami is behind and I'm not sure why it keeps getting brought up after Oscar literally pushed Sainz off track and got away with it. If Sainz did that to Oscar yesterday in T1 they would both have crashed and Lando with them, so I think we can all be grateful Sainz didn't do that
There was plenty of space to Sainz's right. But Oscar can’t go any further to the left, there’s a wall there. It was Sainz who ran into Oscar and punctured his left tire. Sainz's guilt is obvious.

Regarding the starting grid based on the red flags. Apparently, the race directorate does not look at the mini-sectors. Either entire sectors or the first or second line of the safety car. At least that's how I understood it.

Taking into account the fact that when crossing the first line of the safety car, Sainz was in third, and Ricciardo let Stroll pass, it is logical why at the restart of the race Dan was not given his position back, but Carlos was given it back. Very clear, logical, correct and fair.

You yourself know that every person has his own view of things. What do you think about the incident between Magnussen and Perez? Racing incident? Is it Kevin's fault? Is it Sergio's fault? From my point of view, I see Sergio's guilt, just as I saw Logan's guilt in Miami. Because the rider in front leaves no room. In the case of Sergio, everything is even obvious. He looked twice to the right in the mirrors and saw Kevin.

If the car behind gets into the wheelbase of the one in front, shouldn't that driver leave room? From my point of view, this is called “slamming the gate.” But Perez never knew how to admit his mistakes.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 27 May 2024, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Be that as it may, no matter what controversy flares up, so far in the last three races McLaren has been consistently fighting in the leading group. And all this on different tracks with different types of turns. So far so good. It's not a fact that anything will change in Montreal. I still think it's worth waiting for those tracks where C3-C1 tires will be used and where tire wear is much higher. Then we can see how well the updated chassis can protect the tires.

Last year, after the updates, the chassis was good for one fast lap, but could not keep up in the race as Verstappen's pace was much higher. Plus, points are awarded based on the results of the race. So qualifications should fade into the background a little.

mwillems

For me it was a racing incident. Sainz could have driven better for sure, but it wasn't a punishable offence I don't think. It is frustrating, but no more.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
27 May 2024, 14:19
For me it was a racing incident. Sainz could have driven better for sure, but it wasn't a punishable offence I don't think. It is frustrating, but no more.
I'm not saying the judges should punish Sainz. No. I say that Sainz punished himself. What happened in the first corner between Oscar and Carlos is completely a racing incident and no one should be penalized for it. Carlos fined himself, so to speak. He was only helped by a red flag, which returned him to third position. Without the red flags, his race would have ended outside the points.

mwillems

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 May 2024, 10:55

Pushing into a wall and pushing into space are different things. I'm not sure applying the same rules to Monaco really works that well. But I also agree that Sainz didn't go too far, it was hard racing and whilst Sainz could have done more to prevent the touch, it was a racing incident at the first corner.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit