2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Re: 2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

I'd be all for dropping all but the most important safety information to be communicated to the driver over the radio but allowing much more freedom on the pit board.

ripper
ripper

Re: RE: Re: 2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

alc59 wrote:
Xwang wrote:According to me they should ban all radio and remote connection between cars and box (radio, telemetry and so on).
Then the pilot has to manage the car and the engineers have to create a steering wheel with the data and commands needed by the pilot to manage the car.
Couldn't agree more. I expect the man in the driving seat to understand and manage everything that his car is doing.
Imo those PUs are a bit too complicated to leave alone the driver, some kind of help is needed

Wynters
Wynters

Just out of interest, could Hamilton or Raikonnen driven into the pits for a pitstop and let a mechanic lean in and change their settings for them?

Juzh

Williams are desperate for some attention after their lackluster performance on a track which should favour them https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/stat ... 4693046272Onboard shot:
https://streamable.com/ubwi

Live timing and FIA speed beams however would suggest otherwise:
http://www.fia.com/file/43509/download?token=kBFi7F0I
From 366 at the finish line, bottas supposedly in the next 100m before braking zone managed another 12 clicks? Nope.
https://streamable.com/5ms9

diego.liv
diego.liv

Also, can teammates communicate during the race? Like
-kimi: "Seb don't pit, tyres are not that much better"
-nico: "Lewis here's what I did to fix the issue"
-romain: "Esteban you are terrible :P"

Sonador
Sonador

3jawchuck wrote:
A large portion of fans who support any specific driver/team are simply terrible people. Sport often brings out the worst in people.
I know i, was one of "them".

I watch the sport now with a neutral "eye" so i can enjoy whoever wins.

:mrgreen:

Jolle
Jolle

Wynters wrote:Just out of interest, could Hamilton or Raikonnen driven into the pits for a pitstop and let a mechanic lean in and change their settings for them?
Even better: they could have changed the wheel, with the correct settings as preset/updated.

FoxHound

Cold Fussion wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Track is awesome and most of the drivers agreed. I don't see how this is supposed to be a dull track? Mega high speed straight, massive elevation changes, high speed downhill double left hand, walls to crash into, lilmited run off... The race itself was Ok, maybe an 8/10 but was I watching the same track as you?
That's why I'm asking... only caught glimpses of the track and race this weekend, and it appears to have too many 90 degree turns and some silly kerb placements.
You weren't asking how the track was, you very explicitly said it was a dull track.

Problem with internetz these days, is people cannot be bothered to read.

Here, let me help you...
FoxHound wrote:As an aside, what was everyone's thoughts on the track itself? Seems apart from the straight, it's dull as dishwater!
But thanks for sharing your thoughts on the track Cold Fussion....oh wait.....you didn't.
JET set

basti313
basti313

Jolle wrote:
Wynters wrote:Just out of interest, could Hamilton or Raikonnen driven into the pits for a pitstop and let a mechanic lean in and change their settings for them?
Even better: they could have changed the wheel, with the correct settings as preset/updated.
I think it would have been enough to open his visor and tell him something like “The problem appears to be with the current mode that you are in, so change the mode!".
Don`t russel the hamster!

Jolle
Jolle

basti313 wrote:
Jolle wrote:
I think it would have been enough to open his visor and tell him something like “The problem appears to be with the current mode that you are in, so change the mode!".
The conclusion, it wasn't that easy. They could have asked the race director: we have a malfunction, are we allowed to ask for a different setting, or changed the steeringwheel, plugged in a laptop briefly, etc etc. with around 1 or even 2 seconds per lap, it would have been a easy investment. But they didn't, so it was something else

tomas6791
tomas6791

Nico Rosberg smacks himself in the face

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
Jolle wrote:
Not really that simple. Here's a brief overview of the Mercedes wheels. http://www.f1hub.net/index.php/technica ... el-3/9493/
Note that the drivers have different switch uses too. Saying "wrong mode" could mean any one of the settings on switches 13, 14 or 15. Sure, the drivers know what the switches do but you could hear Hamilton ask about HPP instead.

Mercedes said that Rosberg's issue happened when he made a change so he was able to change back. Hamilton's issue appears to have been something in the settings from the start and was the team's fault.
"Nico had made a change during the race that caused the issue," said a Mercedes spokesperson. "So when told it was an issue with the mode, as permitted by FIA, he switched back out of it.

"Lewis had the setting from start of race and it was not obvious that this setting was causing the problem. The fundamental problem is on our heads as it was a configuration not working properly, not the driver's fault.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36571236

Hamilton also confirmed that he didn't sort the problem out, it cleared itself briefly hence his sudden improvement in lap time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Chuckjr

Cheko should be in a top car. He is an outstanding driver and deserves a better drive. Ferrari should kick out Kimi and make room for him in 2017. Time to retire Kimi...you're just not what you used to be. :roll:

Grand schlem weekend from Merc—nothing less should be expected from a circuit like this and a car like that. Merc could make any driver in the field a champion. Enjoy it while you can Nico… :mrgreen:

Lewis had better start studying more and spend a lot less time partying. He gave it away on an easy to win weekend. A lack of focus resulted in many mistakes and could have been avoided with a more methodical, calculated approach. #-o

Nice, quiet drive VET. =D>

Red Bull eating rear tires points to an engine mapping issue possibly…can’t be a lack of rear downforce can it? Questionable pit strategy yet again... #-o

Hulk, what on earth happened? :wtf:
Watching F1 since 1986.

Jolle
Jolle

On the RedBull problems with the high tire deg, looks a bit like what Mercedes had in 2013. Speed over one lap is quite good, just eating away the tires for the last few GP's

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Nico Rosberg smacks himself in the face

that was funny as hell, especially vettel's look afterwards XD
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"