2012 German GP - Hockenheim

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Teechnical

Re: 2012 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

@bob, as myurrs said, there are still lot of issues with this, hence I agreed.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

smellybeard
smellybeard

beelsebob wrote:
Teechnical wrote:Maybe a new rule, regarding the Hammy issue, could be that lapped cars aren't allowed to use DRS to unlap themselves.
Why would you want that? If a lapped car is faster than the person who lapped them, let them pass if they want, blue flags aren't there because you're lapped, they're there because you're so slow you're in the way.
Exactly. A race is a race. If lapped cars are to be excluded from racing, you should flag them off as they are lapped and declare their finishing position. Otherwise let them race and give them the benefit of the same blue flags.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Lastonedown wrote:[...]Alonso is a great driver and Vettel was not able at all to get him this time. But the stewards didn´t do a pretty good job.
Were you watching a different race?

Vettel was consistantly and deliberately driving with all 4 wheels off the circuit for the last 10 laps...

stefan_
stefan_

Fair penalty for Vettel. Raikkonen 3rd, Kobayashi 4th - good points.

It's frustrating that Lotus has a good racing material but still they are scoring points with only one car. Grosjean is good but it's taking him to damn less to fall off and distroy his race. If they have had scored with both cars they had been on 3rd by now in the constructors'.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

simos
simos

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... m-Hamilton
"That was not nice of him [Hamilton]. I don't see the point why he is trying to race us," Vettel complained.

"If he wants to go fast then he can drop back, find a gap and go fast there.

"But it's a bit stupid to disturb the leaders. He was a lap down so I don't see the point anyway. I think that potentially lost us the position to Jenson because soon after that we pitted, I think only two or three laps after that."
Hehe, so in other words Hamilton was stupid of helping his teammate??? Don't get me wrong, I'm not normally on Hamiltons side. In Valencia crash, I even put a bit of blame on him for not allowing Maldonado to pass, but in this case I see nothing wrong. He is lap down so he isn't risking anything by messing with two in front of his teammate.

Guisson

Following Fernando's Pace and Regularity ( The only one to snatch all the points for all 10 First GP's) without a DNF I say it will be VERY VERY difficult for Vettel and Hamilton to catch the Spanish .. One of Them is Obliged to win at the Hungaroring next week and hope for a DNF for Nando xD
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

Agerasia
Agerasia

People need to read up on what the blue flag rules are.
If you are faster than the cars in front you will never be shown the blue flags. Only when lapped by a faster car would they be shown.
Blue flags are never shown in "unlapping" situations.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

SeijaKessen

simos wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... m-Hamilton
"That was not nice of him [Hamilton]. I don't see the point why he is trying to race us," Vettel complained.

"If he wants to go fast then he can drop back, find a gap and go fast there.

"But it's a bit stupid to disturb the leaders. He was a lap down so I don't see the point anyway. I think that potentially lost us the position to Jenson because soon after that we pitted, I think only two or three laps after that."
Hehe, so in other words Hamilton was stupid of helping his teammate??? Don't get me wrong, I'm not normally on Hamiltons side. In Valencia crash, I even put a bit of blame on him for not allowing Maldonado to pass, but in this case I see nothing wrong. He is lap down so he isn't risking anything by messing with two in front of his teammate.
Vettel is a spoiled brat.

Don't want a lapped car passing you, drive faster.

f1316
f1316

I think we've seen in this race an example of some of the criticisms levelled at Vettel over the past few years. He loves leading from the front and controlling the race, but gets far too frustrated and upset when not leading. People have pointed to him running wide for an advantage throughout the race, but there were many cases of him running far too wide for it actually to benefit him (or his tyres). He was quite ragged at times, particularly after Button got past, and his frustration at (possibly) having the best pace whilst being unable to use it caused him to make mistakes.

The overtake on Button was actually a very good example of this. His tyres were in much better shape than Button's at that stage of the race and he still had time to make the pass if he didn't get it that time around. A cooler head would have said "not quite positioned quite right this time, but let's make sure I get it right next time round"; I get the feeling that he wanted to get past as soon as possible because he still felt he had a chance of getting Alonso, which was no longer a realistic possibility. The consequence of this impetuousness? A good shot at 2nd with a downside of 3rd turns into 5th and valuable points are lost.

Steven
Owner

The stewards did a good job at Hockenheim. Vettel's penalty is in line of what we have seen previously on this circuit, and I found it very very strange that once the investigation was in place, RBR did not tell Vettel to give up the place. It would have made a 5 point difference for the German at the end of the day.

Meanwhile, as Alonso keeps banging in the points for Ferrari, I've made a graph of the evolution in the championship standings:

nacho
nacho

I must say that Red Bull suffers the most when behind otherr cars, has been before like that.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

nacho wrote:I must say that Red Bull suffers the most when behind otherr cars, has been before like that.
well once again they were well down in the speed traps and, unlike what Horner would want the fans to believe, it is not due to HP deficit, but just the way they decide to setup the car.

myurr
myurr

Tomba wrote:The stewards did a good job at Hockenheim. Vettel's penalty is in line of what we have seen previously on this circuit, and I found it very very strange that once the investigation was in place, RBR did not tell Vettel to give up the place. It would have made a 5 point difference for the German at the end of the day.

Meanwhile, as Alonso keeps banging in the points for Ferrari, I've made a graph of the evolution in the championship standings:
That tail off in points for Hamilton is absolutely shocking, and painfully is not really his fault.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Tomba wrote: I found it very very strange that once the investigation was in place, RBR did not tell Vettel to give up the place. It would have made a 5 point difference for the German at the end of the day.
Can't help but feel that there is a little bit of arrogance in the Red Bull camp - it would have been easy for Vettel to have given the place back and then taken it again. He was obviously quicker than Button and any rational engineer or driver would have realised that and made amends. Hopefully they'll learn from it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shrieker

Me calling a certain individual somewhat involved in F1 horseface has rattled a few cages I see. Spot on then, spot on. Not only horseface, but also a race fixer and a cheater. No amount of success will change that. Still, hats off to him for dragging Ferrari up to where they are now compared to the start of the year though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qBzK9DUtRA
Last edited by Shrieker on 23 Jul 2012, 01:13, edited 5 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk