McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DiogoBrand

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

McG wrote: Actually McLaren said they were running conservatively. I doubt that means sandbagging which is a silly term anyway.

Alonso confirms this in a recent interview.

Go and troll yourself in a mirror.
Will you tell me that after the 2015 season you still believe all of McLaren/Alonso's statements? If everything they said was true they would've won both championships last year by a fair margin. It's always that 'lots of potential to unlock', 'new parts will bring a great improvement' talk and very little results.
As I said before, I can't say for sure that they're not actually running conservatively, and that they won't bring their car up a notch for the start of the season, but them saying so is not a very good reason on it's own to bring anyone's hopes up.

Pany
Pany

Hello I'm new!!
Actually I support McLaren/honda/Alonso; I hope this team can be in 5° position in Melbourne, but after lot of considerations i observed in forums and according to my personal technical opinion i fear this year the risk of remaining below this position is very high. Probably at the end of the season McLaren/Honda will not be where they want, i.e. 3° or 4° position. Let's see what happens. In this case i think Alonso will finish and i will be obliged support Ricciardo or Verstappen and consequently RedBull teams.
Ciao everybody

hollus

Hi Pany. Welcome.
Please read the first post of the thread (from the mods) about what should and should not go into what is called "The car threads".
Rivals, not enemies.

GoranF1
GoranF1

I would like to ask someone whit the knowledge of German to help translate this, because google translate sucks....

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 33998.html
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

f1rules
f1rules

> Mclaren are on schedule
> Honda not yeat, but they greatly improved

> New pu problems same as old? No

> Deployment issues? works alot better

> Alonso drove his fastets lap in the vers1 mp431, on day 6 upgrades where introduced
> Car still not where they want it to be. The 16 PU hasnt reached the planned targets
> For melbourne, they have reasonable amount of time left in the car, that they havent shown yet
> FA thinks they can reach podium at some point this season, EB agrees

>PU development more free helps? yes but you still cant catch mercs easily

> Did you use melbourne spec: Yes, from token point of view, but software is still being developed. And we expect a decent increase in output from that
> Depending on how you setup "idontknowwhat" there is 30ps to gain
> We still have tokens left since some of the 15 upgrades where meant for the 16 PU
> Im not gonna say well beat merc, but we can improve a lot

> Honda in Japan still a logistic problem: yes but some things has been moved to milton keys

> So far we delivered to alonso what we promissed. He likes the numbers coming out, from future updates. And what we see in the sim is what we get on the track now

> How did you improve the chassis. Started 2years ago, with clean sheet and developed. Last year ending as the 3rd best chassis(really eb?) The steps made over the winter and until the spanish gp should see us get even closer to the top cars

kaepernickus

f1rules wrote: > Depending on how you setup "idontknowwhat" there is 30ps to gain
It's the knock limit of the engine if I'm not totally wrong.

GoranF1
GoranF1

f1rules wrote:> Mclaren are on schedule
> Honda not yeat, but they greatly improved

> New pu problems same as old? No

> Deployment issues? works alot better

> Alonso drove his fastets lap in the vers1 mp431, on day 6 upgrades where introduced
> Car still not where they want it to be. The 16 PU hasnt reached the planned targets
> For melbourne, they have reasonable amount of time left in the car, that they havent shown yet
> FA thinks they can reach podium at some point this season, EB agrees

>PU development more free helps? yes but you still cant catch mercs easily

> Did you use melbourne spec: Yes, from token point of view, but software is still being developed. And we expect a decent increase in output from that
> Depending on how you setup "idontknowwhat" there is 30ps to gain
> We still have tokens left since some of the 15 upgrades where meant for the 16 PU
> Im not gonna say well beat merc, but we can improve a lot

> Honda in Japan still a logistic problem: yes but some things has been moved to milton keys

> So far we delivered to alonso what we promissed. He likes the numbers coming out, from future updates. And what we see in the sim is what we get on the track now

> How did you improve the chassis. Started 2years ago, with clean sheet and developed. Last year ending as the 3rd best chassis(really eb?) The steps made over the winter and until the spanish gp should see us get even closer to the top cars
Thanks a lot mate..;)

Quite positive interview, but things always seem positive for Mclaren Honda when there are no actual driving of the car.(between GP weekends or after or before tests) ,when action is acctualy on, it looks quite bad......so Mclaren is doing quite good PR work i think.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

basti313
basti313

PhillipM wrote:
basti313 wrote: No. The central pylon is just "shaping" the flow to have less turbulent flow, thus extracting a bit more and having better flow for the monkey seat and crash structure. There is no way by the rules to have the exhaust gases directed/exited towards the rear wing.
Less turbulant? Have you seen flow around a pillar at high velocity? It's more turbulant, you make little vortices that eddy off left and right.
Which is why I wondered if they were using them to attach the flow to the monkey seat earlier.
Good point. Actually I doubt, that it is a simple pillar.
There are two possibilities, pillar or streamline:
- If it is a pillar, the reason is rather in the engine, than in the aero. If you really have turbulent flow out of the exhaust I do not think, that you can effectively use it on the monkey seat. A pillar would produce, as you said, just simple turbulent flow over the full pipe, turning outside to inside. In this case I think they are just reducing the exhaust diameter to have less turbulent flow before the pillar, thus, extracting more from the TC.
- If it is not a pillar, but a streamline shape device it would rectify the flow to non turbulent as said above. This non turbulent flow would be pulled upwards by the overall flow round the exhaust, thus, you can make good use of it on the monkey seat.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Pierce89

palimpodio wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:I am not sure due to poor translation but i think it say that the slots in FW pilars do not work as ecpected.

https://twitter.com/Motorsport_IT/statu ... 0004940800
Yes, I understand they're saying that the McLaren aerodynamicists are quite disappointed with on-track test - CFD comparison. They had expected a better behaviour of their very much sculpted nose and front wing. I really wonder how motorsport.it can assure this.
Boo eeee aaayy . The "man" at Mclaren, had been quoted that they're very happy with the correlation between cfd,wt, and track. That was on Autosport.com and f1i.com, so I take the above with less than a grain of salt.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

McG

It's looking very positive indeed!
F1 is dead.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Why do people think the pillar is there for some kind of aerodynamic purpose. I can think of two far more plausible reasons:
1. The original support in the exhaust was bending and allowing the rear wing to flex, therefore a thicker support was added into during testing as a stopgap measure until a better and stronger design can be made.
2. It is placed there to test the effects of back pressure, temperature of the exhaust gas or to see how back pressure effects the engine.

I'll go with the former reason if I were a betting man.

Looking at it, it is highly unlikely that placing that there will have any meaningful positive effect of the exhaust flow. If you wanted to turn the exhaust flow upwards you would use a horizontal vane and it will have to be close to the edge of the exhaust. A vane placed so far in will have exactly zero effect on its direction as the exhaust flow will straighten pretty much immediately after.

For those who mentioned that the exhaust plume was still moving up without the monkey seat.....well of course it is. The rear wing creates a large low pressure area below and behind it, the exhaust gasses will take the path of least resistance upwards into the low pressure region. The diffuser also is helping to turn airflow upward further reinforcing this upward flowing exhaust trend.

Edit: turbof1, the exhaust gasses are not "blowing" the rear wing. While they may move upwards at quite a steep angle you can see in many shots that the plume does not actually connect with the underside of the rear wing. So yes while it may help to keep flow attached, it cannot be considered as blowing the rear wing.

DiogoBrand

I think we should take into account that with the turbo engines, as well as burning less fuel, therefore producing less gases, the energy from the exhaust is drawn into the turbine. So the exhaust probably has a way smaller use in aerodynamics than it used to have with the N.A. engines. Also, I really doubt that pillar is permanent.

godlameroso

What kind of exhaust temperature do you think they run post turbine?
Saishū kōnā

bill shoe
bill shoe

godlameroso wrote:What kind of exhaust temperature do you think they run post turbine?
I think sometimes very high. If they're in qualifying mode and the compressor is powered exclusively by the battery instead of the turbine, then the turbine ain't taking energy out of the exhaust. At that point I suppose they could choose to run the exhaust out through the turbine anyway, or otherwise just dump it straight out the wastegate pipes.

Andres125sx

George-Jung wrote:Why should I discuss football or a boat on a F1 forum? :D
That´s exactly the reason it´s quite weird reading "Barca" around here. Maybe you refer to Barcelona, but the meaning is what it is, not what you want it to be :wink:

Enough OT anycase, case closed