2012 German GP - Hockenheim

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andartop
andartop

Re: 2012 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

Shrieker wrote:Me calling a certain individual somewhat involved in F1 horseface has rattled a few cages I see. Spot on then, spot on. Not only horseface, but also a race fixer and a cheater. No amount of success will change that. Still, hats off to him for dragging Ferrari up to where they are now compared to the start of the year though.
Seb? Is that you? I thought you were done with name-calling after that whole cucumber-thing. Oh no, wait...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

I don't know if someone will be agree with me but it's seems the fastest car today was the Sauber. It's not the first time, it's a shame it's not Alonso and Hamilton at Sauber.

zeph
zeph

Viva Alonso!

Happy to see him nickel-and-dime his way to wins, rather than cruise-control to dominant victories. I sure hope he bags his third title this year.

Nice recovery by Button, so sorry to see circumstances force Hamilton and Massa to lose out (again). And Raikkonen is due for a win.

Finally, somebody take the US rights from Fox and give us a proper live broadcast. ](*,)

fiohaa
fiohaa

really fed up with people that keep saying Alonso doesn't have a good car, or one of the best.

It is quite clearly one of the best cars in the field now, if not the best. Pole at silverstone in the wet where you need downforce, pole again and controlled the race, against a much improved mclaren and a Redbull which dominated Valencia and won Silverstone - and that was only because ferrari got the tyre strategy wrong.

its been consistent, ultra reliable, and it seems to work in whatever temperature - so it quite clearly IS a brilliant car now, and has been for the last 3-4 races.

Here are my thoughts:
i was there, sat at the last corner.

1. Both Caterhams, (initially Petrov, than after lap 6 or so, Kovi followed) were COMPLETELY off the race track, every single lap, on purpose (obviously), to widen the angle for the last corner.
I also noticed that when drivers, who had been following the caterhams, saw this, they started doing it to - you could see a trend in people who changed their line once they'd come across the caterhams!

Does anyone know the actual rule in the regulations regarding the definition of the track, and how much car needs to be on it?

in f1 simracing, we have a very clear rule - 2 wheels on the track, defined by the white lines, Or 2 wheels on kerbs - at all times.
you'd have thought they'd be something like this in real f1.

2. the whole redbull engine mapping fiasco has highlighted a serious problem with the way the FIA writes these rules - it reminds me of accounting and law, in Europe Versus USA. In USA the rules are written by prescription, with no room for judgement - hence the amount of litigation and loopholes people find.
In the UK - the law and accounting are principle based, and so judgement is required when interpreting the written statutes.
They need to apply this to the f1 rules, desperately - how many times have we had these grey areas?

We need a situation where judgement can be passed based on intent of the law.

You cannot blame redbull at all for reading the grey areas differently, its the FIA's fault, blame them.

3. Surprisingly cheap food at the grand prix, 6-8 euros for a decent meal.

4. Watching F1 cars in the wet is simply AMAZING, compared to the dry. They need to take a ton of grip off these cars, it was simply amazing watching the drivers work hard in the wet, in quali yesterday.

5. I can't reference anything, but I do remember seeing plenty of races in the past where lapped cars have unlapped themselves - i dont know why anyone is complaining about it.....i thought it was normal procedure in f1....i mean what was ham supposed to do then, just park his car? He is perfectly entitled to unlap himself.

6. The pace of the mercedes is just depressing.

7. the noise of the V8's was rubbish compared to my experience at Monza 2004. Really miss the v10 days.

Cuky

fiohaa wrote:Does anyone know the actual rule in the regulations regarding the definition of the track, and how much car needs to be on it?
Part of 20.2 regulation is about that
20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track. [...]

andartop
andartop

Cuky wrote:
20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
A driver may or may not be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track. [...]
Fixed it.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

nhojekim
nhojekim

GrizzleBoy wrote:What about the fact that Vettel was constantly using the run off areas as a part of the track lap after lap?

It wasn't just that one time. He was "going wide" almost every opportunity and was gaining time all the while.

And if you watch alonso's pole position qualifying drive he also used some of the run off area and gained pole for doing it.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

nhojekim wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:What about the fact that Vettel was constantly using the run off areas as a part of the track lap after lap?

It wasn't just that one time. He was "going wide" almost every opportunity and was gaining time all the while.

And if you watch alonso's pole position qualifying drive he also used some of the run off area and gained pole for doing it.
his previous lap would have been good enough for pole anyway so it's a moot point.

nhojekim
nhojekim

fiohaa wrote:really fed up with people that keep saying Alonso doesn't have a good car, or one of the best.

It is quite clearly one of the best cars in the field now, if not the best. Pole at silverstone in the wet where you need downforce, pole again and controlled the race, against a much improved mclaren and a Redbull which dominated Valencia and won Silverstone - and that was only because ferrari got the tyre strategy wrong.

its been consistent, ultra reliable, and it seems to work in whatever temperature - so it quite clearly IS a brilliant car now, and has been for the last 3-4 races.

Here are my thoughts:
i was there, sat at the last corner.

1. Both Caterhams, (initially Petrov, than after lap 6 or so, Kovi followed) were COMPLETELY off the race track, every single lap, on purpose (obviously), to widen the angle for the last corner.
I also noticed that when drivers, who had been following the caterhams, saw this, they started doing it to - you could see a trend in people who changed their line once they'd come across the caterhams!

Does anyone know the actual rule in the regulations regarding the definition of the track, and how much car needs to be on it?

in f1 simracing, we have a very clear rule - 2 wheels on the track, defined by the white lines, Or 2 wheels on kerbs - at all times.
you'd have thought they'd be something like this in real f1.

2. the whole redbull engine mapping fiasco has highlighted a serious problem with the way the FIA writes these rules - it reminds me of accounting and law, in Europe Versus USA. In USA the rules are written by prescription, with no room for judgement - hence the amount of litigation and loopholes people find.
In the UK - the law and accounting are principle based, and so judgement is required when interpreting the written statutes.
They need to apply this to the f1 rules, desperately - how many times have we had these grey areas?

We need a situation where judgement can be passed based on intent of the law.

You cannot blame redbull at all for reading the grey areas differently, its the FIA's fault, blame them.

3. Surprisingly cheap food at the grand prix, 6-8 euros for a decent meal.

4. Watching F1 cars in the wet is simply AMAZING, compared to the dry. They need to take a ton of grip off these cars, it was simply amazing watching the drivers work hard in the wet, in quali yesterday.

5. I can't reference anything, but I do remember seeing plenty of races in the past where lapped cars have unlapped themselves - i dont know why anyone is complaining about it.....i thought it was normal procedure in f1....i mean what was ham supposed to do then, just park his car? He is perfectly entitled to unlap himself.

6. The pace of the mercedes is just depressing.

7. the noise of the V8's was rubbish compared to my experience at Monza 2004. Really miss the v10 days.

Alonso used run off areas at q3 to get the pole.

dave34m
dave34m

Lastonedown wrote:In my opinion, many of the steward decisions are totally stupid. First of all don´t penalizing Hamilton for ignoring blue flags and then this unnecessary penalty for Vettel...
Really, boy do we see this differently. Firstly Hamilton was fine for racing the leaders and unlapping himself, there werent blue flags because he wasnt slower than the leaders, how could you possibly show a blue flag to the car that just set the fastest lap, so he didnt get blue flags so he didnt ignore them. It Vettel didnt get a penalty for that pass then it would have been an absolute joke, period

dave34m
dave34m

MrBlacky wrote:So after this race I think we have our new WDC.
Lol, maybe we have a favorite but waaaaaay too early to call it done yet, just a thought

nacho
nacho

Ferrari reminds me a bit of McLaren in 2009, though they were worse off and took longer to recover.

Hail22

A very good race from Raikkonen, Perez, Button and finally Alonso.

I may be missing a few...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Mr Alcatraz

Prop's to Alonso, he hardly put a foot wrong and was in total control all 67 laps! Saaaaanap for the win!! :P
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand