2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

McHonda wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 17:15
Joseki wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 16:40
At the moment McLaren has not lister fuel/oil partner on their website.
I'm wondering if they've decided to be a customer with Esso so they can use the same stuff as Red Bull if Esso have a performance advantage over BP/Castrol at this time?

:-k
Makes no sense. BP/Castrol is working directly with Renault, why would Esso have a fuel advantage over them. I expect that Petrobras will be one of their new sponsors, but that they will be running fuel that's being developed by Castrol.

McHonda
McHonda

RonDennis wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 19:23
McHonda wrote:
Joseki wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 16:40
At the moment McLaren has not lister fuel/oil partner on their website.
I'm wondering if they've decided to be a customer with Esso so they can use the same stuff as Red Bull if Esso have a performance advantage over BP/Castrol at this time?

Makes no sense. BP/Castrol is working directly with Renault, why would Esso have a fuel advantage over them. I expect that Petrobras will be one of their new sponsors, but that they will be running fuel that's being developed by Castrol.
Well they've been working in the V6 regs for longer, have experience with 3 different engines,have been up and running and developing fuel for this formula since pre-2014 and Red Bull are working with both Renault and Esso so it's not like they'd be in the dark about what's needed. Then it's just a matter of quality of product. Last I read Marko was saying there's little difference but he omitted to say which way.

Anyway I too thought that about Petrobras, this was just an alternative thought if that proves to be a false rumour and Macca think RB are getting a better product from Mobil.

RonDennis
RonDennis

McHonda wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 20:29
RonDennis wrote:
McHonda wrote:

Well they've been working in the V6 regs for longer, have experience with 3 different engines,have been up and running and developing fuel for this formula since pre-2014 and Red Bull are working with both Renault and Esso so it's not like they'd be in the dark about what's needed. Then it's just a matter of quality of product. Last I read Marko was saying there's little difference but he omitted to say which way.

Anyway I too thought that about Petrobras, this was just an alternative thought if that proves to be a false rumour and Macca think RB are getting a better product from Mobil.
I also highly doubt McLaren would go back to Mobil after they ditched them, Red Bull probably won't like it either.

zeph
zeph

Squid wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 23:54
McLaren strikes Dell deal as it seeks return to F1's fast lane

https://news.sky.com/story/mclaren-stri ... e-11240552

It will be also a technical partnership rather than just sponsorship:
The deal will involve the computing giant providing software and hardware to McLaren's various businesses, including the F1 team and its Applied Technologies division, according to a source close to the alliance.

Am I the only one who's not optimistic about this?

Because to me it seems like a pairing of two brands past their prime.

McHonda
McHonda

RonDennis wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 20:59
McHonda wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 20:29
RonDennis wrote:

I also highly doubt McLaren would go back to Mobil after they ditched them, Red Bull probably won't like it either.
Possibly on the Red Bull front but I doubt McLaren are that annoyed to rule out ever working with them again. That kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face doesn't work in F1 when there's only a certain amount of suppliers and potential sponsors/partners for the future.

RonDennis
RonDennis

zeph wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 21:28
Squid wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 23:54
McLaren strikes Dell deal as it seeks return to F1's fast lane

https://news.sky.com/story/mclaren-stri ... e-11240552

It will be also a technical partnership rather than just sponsorship:
The deal will involve the computing giant providing software and hardware to McLaren's various businesses, including the F1 team and its Applied Technologies division, according to a source close to the alliance.

Am I the only one who's not optimistic about this?

Because to me it seems like a pairing of two brands past their prime.
Well I don't believe McLaren is past their prime and I don't know why you would say a thing like that anyway, but it's probably just a small deal.

bauc

Mclaren Automotive, which from this year is again part of the Mclaren Racing & Mclaren Technologies is in its prime I believe

As for the racing team itself, the last 3-4 years did damaged the brand, but I see Mclaren as a wounded lion ready to reclaim its territory and those who understand F1 know that F1 is a cycle sport, so I'm super optimistic that in the next 10 years Mclaren will keep its place among the F1 giants
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

marmer
marmer

bauc wrote:Mclaren Automotive, which from this year is again part of the Mclaren Racing & Mclaren Technologies is in its prime I believe

As for the racing team itself, the last 3-4 years did damaged the brand, but I see Mclaren as a wounded lion ready to reclaim its territory and those who understand F1 know that F1 is a cycle sport, so I'm super optimistic that in the next 10 years Mclaren will keep its place among the F1 giants
One hell of a cycle only been constructor champ once since 1991 and only 1 drivers championship since 99

bauc

marmer wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 23:12
bauc wrote:Mclaren Automotive, which from this year is again part of the Mclaren Racing & Mclaren Technologies is in its prime I believe

One hell of a cycle only been constructor champ once since 1991 and only 1 drivers championship since 99
By this are you saying that Ferrari are no longer a prime team? one championship in the past 10 years?

Ferrari had is run in the 00's with all of the FIA help a team can get, then it was to Redbull to take the flag and now Mercedes, and I beleive Mclaren's turn will come again, they have all of the tools in place to do so.

While its true that Mclaren has 1 constructors and 3 drivers championships in the past 20 years, it was always (-last 4 seasons) been a regular front runner and a title condenser till the last race so its really a no brainier.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

RonDennis
RonDennis

bauc wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 23:40
marmer wrote:

By this are you saying that Ferrari are no longer a prime team? one championship in the past 10 years?

Ferrari had is run in the 00's with all of the FIA help a team can get, then it was to Redbull to take the flag and now Mercedes, and I beleive Mclaren's turn will come again, they have all of the tools in place to do so.

While its true that Mclaren has 1 constructors and 3 drivers championships in the past 20 years, it was always (-last 4 seasons) been a regular front runner and a title condenser till the last race so its really a no brainier.
It happened before and it will happen again. Just look at the number of views this topic has and compare it with other teams. It exactly shows the potential of McLaren.

zoroastar
zoroastar

the conspiracy theory where a racing team conspires to sabotage their engine partner, who pays them 300 million a year + free engines for no VERY good reasons, is a very dumb conspiracy theory. only a truely blind person wouldnt see the flaws in this charade.

Talisman
Talisman

bauc wrote:
marmer wrote:

Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull all spend far more than McLaren does or did even when they had Honda funding. Mclaren’s income now is on a par with Williams although the shortfall should be covered by the owners for a season or two.

F1 isn’t fair or cyclical, ultimately it’s about funding and using it wisely. It is no coincidence at all that when McLaren had a top two budget it was challenging for championships and that stopped when their budget declined around 2010 ish. Nor is it a coincidence that the chassis improved markedly once Honda money flowed in after 2014.

Nor is it a coincidence that Mercedes went from midfield to untouchable at the top following a huge cash injection that resulted in their budget rivalling Ferrari after 2012-3.

If McLaren are to challenge for championships again they need two things, one is the kind of sponsorship deal that simply hasn’t been seen in F1 since the credit crunch and the other is a top engine. They have neither at the moment. Getting the top engine is far easier than getting the budget for a championship challenger, after all it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that Renault finally catch up with the others.

As SFW said F1 is a business that turns into a sport every other Sunday afternoon. Always follow the money.

NathanOlder

RonDennis wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 00:16

It happened before and it will happen again.
In that case, I cant wait for Brawn to win another championship :lol: sorry , couldnt resist.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

RonDennis
RonDennis

Talisman wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 01:44
bauc wrote:
marmer wrote:

Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull all spend far more than McLaren does or did even when they had Honda funding. Mclaren’s income now is on a par with Williams although the shortfall should be covered by the owners for a season or two.

F1 isn’t fair or cyclical, ultimately it’s about funding and using it wisely. It is no coincidence at all that when McLaren had a top two budget it was challenging for championships and that stopped when their budget declined around 2010 ish. Nor is it a coincidence that the chassis improved markedly once Honda money flowed in after 2014.

Nor is it a coincidence that Mercedes went from midfield to untouchable at the top following a huge cash injection that resulted in their budget rivalling Ferrari after 2012-3.

If McLaren are to challenge for championships again they need two things, one is the kind of sponsorship deal that simply hasn’t been seen in F1 since the credit crunch and the other is a top engine. They have neither at the moment. Getting the top engine is far easier than getting the budget for a championship challenger, after all it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that Renault finally catch up with the others.

As SFW said F1 is a business that turns into a sport every other Sunday afternoon. Always follow the money.
There are many reasons why McLaren failed after Mercedes announced they would be leaving them. Mercedes had been working on their engine for years and wasn't even miles ahead of a customer team like Williams. Ferrari only get their act together last year and Red Bull is also not spending that much more. You can't expect McLaren to sign new sponsors when you are fighting with Saubers.

Webber2011
Webber2011

RonDennis wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:29
Talisman wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 01:44
bauc wrote:

There are many reasons why McLaren failed after Mercedes announced they would be leaving them. Mercedes had been working on their engine for years and wasn't even miles ahead of a customer team like Williams. Ferrari only get their act together last year and Red Bull is also not spending that much more. You can't expect McLaren to sign new sponsors when you are fighting with Saubers.
Well they really need to show what they can do this year then, because as has been said they only have 2 years of corporate backing .
If they really don't look the goods this year as far as top five and fighting for podiums there's going to be a lot of headshaking I'd imagine.

I hope they do well, but it will be a huge shame if they ditched Honda a year too early.