Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

How can Honda fix a fundamental design flaw in oil tank overnight?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

GoranF1 wrote:How can Honda fix a fundamental design flaw in oil tank overnight?
Fundamental design flaw? Who said that? (except you)

godlameroso

Not fundamental, just a new part that wasn't perfect, I'm sure they have spares.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

Jef Patat wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:How can Honda fix a fundamental design flaw in oil tank overnight?
Fundamental design flaw? Who said that? (except you)
Forgot to wrote "hypotheticaly"

ncassi22
ncassi22

godlameroso wrote:Not fundamental, just a new part that wasn't perfect, I'm sure they have spares.
Also if it's cracking they can just slap some carbon reinforcement onto a new one for now. Like the suspensions last year.

GoranF1
GoranF1

godlameroso wrote:Not fundamental, just a new part that wasn't perfect, I'm sure they have spares.
Goldy

If you read Alonso interview i posted in car thread you will realize it is not a simple defect. They changed entire PU and whit that a brand new oil tank and even whit that they had to run very detuned engine in the afternoon as Fernando said.
Postive thing is that they achived a solid lap time whit that PU setup.

GoranF1
GoranF1

The shape is the problem...Alonso said he had to brake 3 secs before breaking zone to watch oil level.

YUSUKE HASEGAWA, Honda R&D Co. Ltd Head of F1 Project & Executive Chief Engineer

“This morning, we detected an oil systems issue during Fernando’s installation lap. In the interest of time we decided the best course of action was to change the PU.

“Based on initial investigations, we think the issue is related to the shape of the 2017 oil tank, but it requires further investigation before we can confirm this.

“In the afternoon, we were able to continue with our test programme for today. We will continue our efforts through the night to improve the situation for tomorrow’s running
Last edited by GoranF1 on 27 Feb 2017, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

Moose
Moose

GoranF1 wrote:
Goldy

If you read Alonso interview i posted in car thread you will realize it is not a simple defect. They changed entire PU and whit that a brand new oil tank and even whit that they had to run very detuned engine in the afternoon as Fernando said.
Alonso didn't say they had to. He said they did, because it's testing, and that's what you do in testing.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Moose wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Goldy

Alonso didn't say they had to. He said they did, because it's testing, and that's what you do in testing.
He also said he had to brake 3 secs before br. Zones to watch for oil level.

McL-H
McL-H

GoranF1 wrote:
Moose wrote:
GoranF1 wrote: Goldy

And he said he hopes they'll find a way to keep it under control for the rest of the week. They are not expecting a short-term fix.

GoranF1
GoranF1

McL-H wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Moose wrote: Alonso didn't say they had to. He said they did, because it's testing, and that's what you do in testing.
And he said he hopes they'll find a way to keep it under control for the rest of the week. They are not expecting a short-term fix.
Sounds like a fundamental design flaw of oil tank to me.....in Honda's defence it is understandble not to see this in dyno or filming day where speeds and forces are not as big as today.

ncassi22
ncassi22

GoranF1 wrote:The shape is the problem...Alonso said he had to brake 3 secs before breaking zone to watch oil level.

YUSUKE HASEGAWA, Honda R&D Co. Ltd Head of F1 Project & Executive Chief Engineer

“This morning, we detected an oil systems issue during Fernando’s installation lap. In the interest of time we decided the best course of action was to change the PU.

“Based on initial investigations, we think the issue is related to the shape of the 2017 oil tank, but it requires further investigation before we can confirm this.

“In the afternoon, we were able to continue with our test programme for today. We will continue our efforts through the night to improve the situation for tomorrow’s running
I wonder if what they saw was pressure drop? Hopefully it can be solved by redesigning the internals and not the shape because that might impact the chassis.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

I am sure there are people overnight working on a fix/workaround and others on a design change for next week.

It could prove costly as you can't maximise testing/development on other areas when you can't push the car in the corners.

KingHamilton01

I hope they manage to come up with something suitable, hopefully a solution that allow's them to push car more 2morrow. But if not they will have to push through a redesign to arrive before end of week surely?

I don't pretend to know how difficult it could be to re-design and manufacture this part but very important they do.
McLaren Mercedes

PhillipM
PhillipM

If it's a baffle problem half the issue will be figuring out exactly what sequence is causing the oil slosh/pressure drop.
Time for an old school solution - stick a lot of stainless steel pan scourers in the tank :D