2012 Exhaust Blowing & Coanda

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

dan_f1 wrote:Personally, I'm sick of the 'intent' garbage, rules should be back and white. If someone finds a loophole, then close it for the next season.
The art comes with mixing the black and white to get grey and then implementing it so it goes undetected.

The teams know exactly how the game is currently being played. If they were really upset about it they would find a new sport.

I would say McLaren's exhaust channel is not that important to them or they would not have shown their cards so early. A early race season debut would have at least bought 3-4 races of value.

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

[quote="n smikle"I think hot blowing may still be achieved at any throttle position but it would ONLY work at full strength in that Narrow window when the throttle is wide open by the driver's foot - during acceleration out of the corner [/quote]

Please restate, this seems a normal condition, nothing to do with 'off throttle' blowing.

Brian

bhall
bhall

Re: 'Engine Manufacturer' highlights exhaust issues to FIA

One way or another, Ferrari's engine has been a handicap since 2006. So, it's not at all surprising then that they would doggedly insist upon strict enforcement of any regulations capable of weakening their rivals' performance.

This is "development" in the era of frozen engines.

the EDGE
the EDGE

bhallg2k wrote:One way or another, Ferrari's engine has been a handicap since 2006. So, it's not at all surprising then that they would doggedly insist upon strict enforcement of any regulations capable of weakening their rivals' performance.

This is "development" in the era of frozen engines.
why has ferrari's engine been handicapped?

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Exhaust Blown Tyres

Pup wrote:Not really - like I said, it's been done before...
Do you know who the author of this article is? He runs this form. Other than that what is his back ground? Why should we have any faith in the article?

To give any credence to this tire heating idea, you must articulate some benefit that correlates to the way these cars operate.

A fluff piece not worth posting. This is a technical forum which demands a little more effort on the part of the poster.

Brian

bhall
bhall

It's down on power (vs Mercedes) and down on efficiency and cooling requirements (vs Renault). I don't mean to suggest in any way that those are crippling handicaps, but they aren't exactly negligible, either. And if you're prohibited from making your engine better, all you can do is try to make the others worse.

Call it "political engine development."

Gridlock

Engine development to address reliability is allowed - and I believe Ferrari have taken advantage of this.

bhall
bhall

All engine manufacturers have taken advantage of that.

manchild
manchild

Since 1993. FIA is governing F1 just as nun would run a brothel.

Hail22

Re: Barcelona Pre-Season Test 2: 21-24 Feb

The Male Red Bull has been neutered.

Bye Bye Off throttle exploitation ;)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Exhaust Blown Tyres

Pup wrote:Not really - like I said, it's been done before...

http://www.f1technical.net/development/206

and...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSbv0ZINKeA[/youtube]
Looks more like inadvertent heating of a portion of the tire rather than really trying to heat up the tread.

There's a lot of questionable stuff in this thread in general. After I throw a ribeye on the grill for dinner I may try to step through some of it.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Why can't they see the blow diffusers as a sort of HERS? The exhaust is being reused to provide downforce, instead of power. Win win ffs.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Hail22

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97662

That update has got to Hurt Renault and Mercedes Engines ;)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

strad

Do You?,,,and I didn't say anything about "hot blowing"
Do you really intend to be the condecening jerk it seems?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Hail22

mx_tifoso wrote:Why can't they see the blow diffusers as a sort of HERS? The exhaust is being reused to provide downforce, instead of power. Win win ffs.

Honestly the rules around 2004/05 was the best, but we won't be seeing that ever again...

I would say the FIA are slowly trying to aim for a controlled field and make it up to the driver to win races not a better performing car.

Gilles Villeneuve