Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
heimana
heimana

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

The first indications that left spinning Mercedes concern a muzzle tapering in "broomstick" at its end.

Shakeman

kooleracer wrote:
What i don't understand is the difference between Bob Bell and Paddy Lowe role within the team. Or could we see Bell also departing in the near future?
I remember Ross Brawn answering "those too many cooks" comments with there are non-trivial changes in 2015 and in any case the sooner the car starts development the better. The more design philosophies that are trialled earlier the better leads to better decisions down the line. So while the 2014 car was being designed so was the 2015 in embryonic state.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Shakeman wrote:
kooleracer wrote:
What i don't understand is the difference between Bob Bell and Paddy Lowe role within the team. Or could we see Bell also departing in the near future?
I remember Ross Brawn answering "those too many cooks" comments with there are non-trivial changes in 2015 and in any case the sooner the car starts development the better. The more design philosophies that are trialled earlier the better leads to better decisions down the line. So while the 2014 car was being designed so was the 2015 in embryonic state.
from what i understand is what Willis does

diego.liv
diego.liv

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:Ok.. here we go..

From what we know already:
the Mercedes Power Unit has RUMORED to have 100 more HP than it's rivals.
it's major components have already clocked over the required 5000km reliablility testing without failures
aero - unknown
mechanical/suspension - unknown
The DRD, as cars will face a loss in rear DF.
In the W04 thread we also discussed that those hypothetical 100 (or whatever) HP could be used for a better gearing in low-speed sections (+ the added DF allowed by the DRD in off-mode) and thus have a small advantage in top speed, in DRD on-mode

Cocles

markn93 wrote:Now I think about it properly it is a case of the engine being built specifically for this specific car, working in tandem with the aero designers etc, not the engine team building the best they can and slotting it into the chassis and therefore effectively being the same for both works and customer teams. Potentially a huge benefit provided they take advantage of it.
Besides overseeing everyone else, Bob Bell's primary job for quite some time has been heading "engine integration". You better believe they're taking advantage of it.

turbof1

Speaking about DRD... Will it be worth to use it? With the exhaust pipe exiting at the back things are quite stacking up there. With the Y75 wing being much more important next year, they probably don't like a pipe hanging in front of it.

The maximum effect will be less outspoken anyway; the rear wing will be shallower and thus less drag to shed off. If mercedes uses DRD, I think they'll aim to stall perhaps something else.

Something left untouched yet: the FRIC system. They've been building on it for several years now and in 2013 they started to reap results with it, arguably having the best slow corner mechanical grip in the first half of the season. I believe going into 2014 cars will become more dependent on mechanical grip anyhow and with further finetuning, I believe they can serious results out of it. What do you guys think?
#AeroFrodo

Cocles

kooleracer wrote: Aldo: Chief W06 project
Willis: Chief W05 project
You've got these two switched. Think of it sort of like an assembly line. Willis is working a year ahead of Costa. When Willis's project becomes current, Costa takes over and Willis moves another year ahead.

This was slightly tweaked for 2013, because fairly early on Willis moved onto the W06, Costa onto the W05, and Lowe took over the W04. This was one of the many ways they were able to focus on 2014 so much and so far in advance.

Anon123
Anon123

turbof1 wrote:Speaking about DRD... Will it be worth to use it? With the exhaust pipe exiting at the back things are quite stacking up there. With the Y75 wing being much more important next year, they probably don't like a pipe hanging in front of it.

The maximum effect will be less outspoken anyway; the rear wing will be shallower and thus less drag to shed off. If mercedes uses DRD, I think they'll aim to stall perhaps something else.

Something left untouched yet: the FRIC system. They've been building on it for several years now and in 2013 they started to reap results with it, arguably having the best slow corner mechanical grip in the first half of the season. I believe going into 2014 cars will become more dependent on mechanical grip anyhow and with further finetuning, I believe they can serious results out of it. What do you guys think?
I think your right, it's interesting how they went from having the best mechanical grip to having quite bad mechanical grip, I wonder if the FRIC system was partly to blame for tyre deg issues. I hope Pirelli go as conservative as they say they will because they could probably ruin Merc's chances next year if they want to.

dren

The FRIC system will certainly help them next year, but it will still be an aero dominated formula. Red Bull still has the advantage in that reguard. The works teams will have the large benefit of engine integration to suit their aero needs. I look to see Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull all a step ahead of the rest due to this. Newey stated the front wing design is one of the largest hurdles; deciding to route the air inside or outside of the front tires. It'll be interesting what direction the teams go. The Brawn car pioneered the outwash front wing. Maybe we'll see something new towards the inside?
Honda!

dans79

Anon123 wrote: I think your right, it's interesting how they went from having the best mechanical grip to having quite bad mechanical grip, I wonder if the FRIC system was partly to blame for tyre deg issues.
I'm pretty sure it was the biggest part of the issue, but not in a bad way. Fric let's the car really work the tires hard, unfortunately the 2013 spec tires couldn't handle is, because Pirelli underestimated how much down-force the 2013 cars would have. In my opinion the switch to the 2012 structure hurt Merc a lot. Then the new Renault mapping was the nail in the coffin.

I hope the W05 has a refined Fric that has a more natural feel under breaking for Lewis's sake.
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

Some really interesting info from a guy who toured the factory and drove the simulator, talked to Sam etc.

apparently they have been driving the 14 car in the sim since 2012.
http://f4h.es/index.php?option=com_kune ... d=53#19655

lots of other interesting bits, especially the weight thing.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

dren wrote:The FRIC system will certainly help them next year, but it will still be an aero dominated formula. Red Bull still has the advantage in that reguard. The works teams will have the large benefit of engine integration to suit their aero needs. I look to see Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull all a step ahead of the rest due to this. Newey stated the front wing design is one of the largest hurdles; deciding to route the air inside or outside of the front tires. It'll be interesting what direction the teams go. The Brawn car pioneered the outwash front wing. Maybe we'll see something new towards the inside?
It's been aero dominated for a long time. Red Bull have excelled since 2010 which is when refueling was banned and exhausts/engine maps became more prevalent. It'll be interesting to see what happens next year with a different drive train.

Burgess
Burgess

Surely everyone will try to keep outwash front wings? Wasn't McLaren's inwash front wing part of the problem in 09?

ringo

It was a relative problem because everyone had outwash wings.
However if everyone had inwash wings, it's best to have them.
When the season does start i feel that the teams will be aware of the different benefits to each design, and will copy the faster cars accordingly.
For Sure!!

Shakeman

ringo wrote:It was a relative problem because everyone had outwash wings.
However if everyone had inwash wings, it's best to have them.
When the season does start i feel that the teams will be aware of the different benefits to each design, and will copy the faster cars accordingly.
Surely the teams would already know which design is best for the rest of their aero philosophy. If a team has to change direction with the front wing that means they've got everything wrong.