The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the new engine sounds?

Love it!
14%
Pretty good, better than the V8s
10%
Pretty good, but not as good as the V8s
11%
Acceptable
18%
Don't really like it
15%
They've taken its soul away
32%

Total votes: 241

Powershift

Re: The new engine sounds

Holm86 wrote:Heat and noise are bi-products of the combustion in the internal combustion engine. The more efficient the engine is the less heat and noise it creates. The 2014 engines are much much more efficient than the engines back in the 80's. And yes you are right regarding the MGU-H. In todays engines the boost is controlled as much as possible by the MGU-H. In the old days it was controlled 100% by the wastegate. Wastegates bypasses the exhaust turbine and thus the exhaust of the wastegates are much louder.

But back then fuel wasn't limited. So they used fuel even when off throttle to keep spinning the turbo. This also contributed a lot to the noise and yes that did sound pretty nice. Today no fuel is wasted at least not during the races. I wonder if they in the future when they've solved the reliability issues will start dumping fuel into the exhaust again to get as much power out of the MGU-H as possible during qualifying.
Fuel & Boost was limited in the '88 turbos, but other than that your points are valid
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

rich1701
rich1701

Perhaps one solution is putting a chavtastic muffler in the end of exhausts. Vauxhall Nova style :D

Pup
Pup

langwadt wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:Is there any way to fix the sound issue? Will higher rpm ( around 20 k ) do any change to the sound?
nothing will change that the turbo acts as a "muffler" on both intake and exhaust
Nothing for volume, but higher rpm still means higher frequency.

WhiteBlue

siskue2005 wrote:Is there any way to fix the sound issue? Will higher rpm ( around 20 k ) do any change to the sound?
There is no point in doing that. The technical concept of direct injection and energy efficient downspeeding is not compatible with high rpm. In my view there is no real issue. The sound is different. Some like me like it. Some don't like it. In my view the sound will stay with us for the time the engines will be used. AFAIK we will have to live with it until at least 2020.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Holm86

I like the sound as well. I've followed testing a lot but only just saw FP3 and qualification. The clips I've seen from testing sounds pretty nice IMO. The onboard 360° clip Mercedes released on their webpage is also pretty good noise wise.

Though when watching on the TV the onboard shoots sound muted. I'm sure this can be solved by the broadcasters and then we shouldn't have any problems. No reason to crank up the RPM and sacrifice efficiency of the engines just to get a different engine note.

gandharva

[x] Love it!

But volume needs to be pumped up by FOM during broadcasts!

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Wasn't on the track to hear it live, but from the TV it just sounds sad.

With the V10s and V8s you could feel your whole body shaking and vibrating when a car was approaching, but if its true that you are now able to chat while at the track than I doubt that feeling of pure power is there anymore :(

Future generations will miss that for sure. (If they get the possibility to enjoy such machines in a historic event...)

rich1701
rich1701

When the European season starts. People will look forward to the noise of the gp2 cars over the F1 cars. That is a problem. Spectacle has been compromised by these regulations. There seems to be a universal dislike from pundits and fans after watching skyf1 this weekend. Next year if race attendances fall, that will spur Bernie into action.

mistrx
mistrx

Unfortunately I have never heard an F1 car or engine in person. But I have been following the sport closely for 20 years. I have to say that I extremely angry sad and dissapointed at the same time by that "sound" and above all by the fact that the volume is so low. Don't get me wrong - the high torque and less down force is perfect to watch. I do not mind the sound of the turbo...I loved the turbo powerful beasts of 1300+ hp.I have also say that personally I have never liked the sound of V8 since it was way too high pitched.

I loved Honda V10 3.5l sound.When Senna drove that pole position in Suzuka with that beast of an engine that was just like something from different universe! That part when he downshifted from 6th to 5th at the end of the lap keeps giving me goosebumps. I can listen to that music for hours! But what I heard today was a joke!OMFG you could hear gravel bouncing of the car during onboard from the main straight,that "loud" it is!Are they f'in serious?!

IMHO they are just ruining the sport with this! I don't mind the low pitch an I guess it will grow on me but for the love of God make it louder so it is not this pathetic joke! Does those FIA clowns realize that the feeder series will be louder and thus perceived more brutal and faster?

Please just wake me from this nightmare and do not ruin my beloved sport! [-o<

therealjustin
therealjustin

I don't hate the sound of the new V6 turbo engines...excuse me, power units, at all. The problem is that the lovely gurgling, popping and whizzing doesn't translate on television. All I can hear are the commentators with the rare tire squeal or turbo whine in the background if I'm lucky.

I imagine it must be pretty quiet around the track now too considering the dramatic decibel reduction, that is unless the cars are within close range. The familiar wail of the V8 would carry throughout the entire paddock and landscape. The V8's would give me goosebumps even sitting here in my chair watching the live feed.

R_Redding
R_Redding

therealjustin wrote: The problem is that the lovely gurgling, popping and whizzing doesn't translate on television.
In Bahrain they sounded fine..

But in OZ they sound somewhat muted.. I think it going to take a while for each race broadcaster to retune their mics and filtering to the new sound.

Rob

CHT
CHT

gandharva wrote:[x] Love it!

Bernie is not a fan of the new engine, so I doubt FOM is going to do anything about it. If TV viewers are complaining, what to do think about those who pay hundreds of dollars watching from track side?

Powershift

CHT wrote:
gandharva wrote:[x] Love it!

Bernie is not a fan of the new engine, so I doubt FOM is going to do anything about it. If TV viewers are complaining, what to do think about those who pay hundreds of dollars watching from track side?
regardless of bernie they are NOT changing away from the v6's for several years, so if it is hurting the TV numbers he better get to work on fixing it.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

damo46
damo46

On the TV they mentioned that the sound of the engines use to be 150db now they are below 100db, the legal limit for a road car is 98db!!! Try going to a concert and getting them to turn the volume down it just wouldn't be the same. From a spectators view the sound is very important and something should be done about it.

The new power plants are great and the cars look challenging to drive, which will make for good racing, but we need to feel and hear these cars to create excitement.

Pebblestone

Wow... this is too good. Sound comparison between the V10, V8 and V6 engines using an electric guitar.

V10 sound:
http://youtu.be/PR6S74IVHWs

V8 sound:
http://youtu.be/cbEvzuBG4Tk

V6 sound:
http://youtu.be/Jkwt_1qhWYA

=D>
The ingredients for the recipe of success shall be added in the following order: Attitude, Aptitude and Altitude. Inversions to the prescribe order could seriously prevent altitude from happening, therefore giving a sour taste to the mix.