asking about gearbox

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
jz11
jz11

Re: asking about gearbox

autogyro wrote:Two gears are NOT delivering torque at the same time, even though companies like zero shift would like you to think so.
In a constant mesh lay shaft gear box, ALL gears are engaged at the same time by virtue of the design.
So the term engaged is misleading.

It is certain components of the shift over lap mechanism that are engaged at the same time during a shift.

Engine torque cannot be delivered to the rear wheels through two gears at once.
gears are engaged yes, but the dogs driving the gears aren't

in the good old H dogbox it was impossible to enable 2 dogs at once - have the transmission be in 1st and 2nd gear at the same time, because if that was the case - something would go awfully wrong and you would finds bits and pieces of something that used to be a gear or a dog

that being said - now imagine that the recess in the gear where the dog ring fits in is a bit larger than the width of the dog - meaning, while in an engaged position - you could rotate the gear against the dog for a few degrees back and forth (this is what one poster before me referred to - limited time to disengage the previous "gear")

and now the "magic" of the seamless shifting - you have your 1st gear engaged - and while it is engaged - you also engage 2nd gear - and as soon as the 2nd gear starts to transfer the torque of the motor the wheels, the 1st gear dog no longer is transmitting any torque and the dog can now easily be (and MUST be) disengaged fast - and all thanks the larger recess in the gear for the dog teeth previously explained

so the 2 gears are never transferring the torque at the same time

and the "blip" or intentional misfiring of the engine during this seamless shift is to lower the stress on the whole thing, make the parts last longer

now if you understand all this, you would never ever say that shifting during acceleration was better or faster with the good old H pattern dogbox, it simply is not true, because the mechanical design of the gearbox prevents true continuous transfer of torque from engine to wheels

shifting under braking is different thing, but one could argue that with precise enough control you could achieve the seamlessness there too - something nearly impossible to do manually from the drivers seat - which is a bad thing if you want to see just pure driver competition on the track, but then there are hundreds of engineers working behind the drivers for the whole thing to go faster - so - while old school dogbox was good skill test - now days you simply have to appreciate the engineering that goes into the computer controlled shifting / braking / harvesting as well, and this is where Mercedes have really excelled

jz11
jz11

p.s. by the way - you can see that concept of seamless shifting even in such a distant sport as relay race when they are passing the stick roperly

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

the concept of the smooth but torque-continuous upshift still involves an energy transfer shortfall equivalent to dumping rotational KE
actual energy dumping via a transmission shock-absorbing damper or by throttling
or perceived energy shortfall from cutting fuel to reduce rpm (this may be tolerable or not according to the fuel availability)

the mgu-k is presumably used to hasten the rpm change required for upshifts
doing this will recover (most of) the otherwise wasted (actually or perceived) KE in the ICE rotation
that can be a race-significant amount

there's a lot of energy stored .....
eg if a CVT equipped car is run at full power/rpm at low roadspeed and the accelerator suddenly lifted .....
the gearing swings almost instantly from low to very high
so the stored rotational KE is accessed almost instantly - the car continues to accelerate on stored KE alone despite engine throttling

machin

Remember that seamless shift technology pre-dates KERS (Seamless: 2006/7.... KERS 2009), so whilst it is possible that they use KERS to improve the performance, it is not a fundamental part of the seamless technology: the "half a second" lap time improvement previously quoted from seamless technology came without KERS intervention.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

autogyro
autogyro

machin wrote:Remember that seamless shift technology pre-dates KERS (Seamless: 2006/7.... KERS 2009), so whilst it is possible that they use KERS to improve the performance, it is not a fundamental part of the seamless technology: the "half a second" lap time improvement previously quoted from seamless technology came without KERS intervention.
It depends how you define 'seamless' .
Ferrari had electrically shifted lay shaft boxes in 1989.
I was playing with similar systems in 1976.
An electrically operated selector fork box can easily match modern 'trick shift' systems in shift speed using dog rings.
It can even be operated (with heavy jolt) without even reducing engine torque delivery and faster than any modern box.
Wear and reliability is the problem.

Providing a driver gets the timing right such shifts with conventional dog boxes can be achieved manually.
So I fail to see how anyone can claim a time saving on shifts during a lap without a properly agreed comparison.

When KERS came in the FIA increased the allowed number of fixed ratios to 8 so as to assist control on energy harvesting kinetic and delivery.
This points very heavily to there being a potential problem of rear end stability using auto sequential down
shifts and energy harvesting kinetic.
It perhaps accounts for many of the loses of control under braking seen over the last few seasons.

machin

autogyro wrote: It depends how you define 'seamless' .
[/quote]

The "semi-Automatic" technology is NOT "seamless shift" technology. Come on Auto. You know this. I don't know why you have to pretend you don't (I assume it's a pretence: you read that quote on the last page which says what the difference is right? ...).

So I guess the reason you "pretend" not to understand (and invent some fictitious world where seamless shift gearboxes explains all evils in the world including, I presume, third world famine) is because you don't want to admit that this technology is better than something you may (or at least pretend) to have been involved with... I know you have a new product to pedal ( I think you got banned from this site for a while for continuously spamming every thread about it), but maybe if you accepted the seamless technology and moved on you might find people take you and your new product seriously, you see; if you continue with this "modern gearboxes are worse than pre-90's" BS, nobody is going to take you seriously.

That's just a little hint from me.
Last edited by machin on 18 Oct 2015, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

autogyro wrote: An electrically operated selector fork box can easily match modern 'trick shift' systems in shift speed using dog rings.
It can even be operated (with heavy jolt) without even reducing engine torque delivery and faster than any modern box.

Providing a driver gets the timing right such shifts with conventional dog boxes can be achieved manually.

When KERS came in the FIA increased the allowed number of fixed ratios to 8 so as to assist control on energy harvesting kinetic and delivery.
This points very heavily to there being a potential problem of rear end stability using auto sequential down
It perhaps accounts for many of the loses of control under braking seen over the last few seasons.
for the last time, I promise (myself) .....

the 8 ratios are not closer, they are wider spread
so they can't assist as you say
they are wider spread because the final drive ratio is fixed 'for ever'
the final drive now being sealed with the transmission, for the lifing rules (unlike eg 2013)
so the current 8 'fixed for ever' overall ratios have to cover at each and every race .....
what was covered eg in 2013 by about 32 overall ratios, of which the driver had at any race the 7 best overall ratios for that race

machin

Exactly Tommy.

The facts are easy to check: anyone can look at WHEN the 8 ratios were introduced, WHY they were introduced (both on the F1 website last time I checked) and can confirm that the ratios aren't closer together (despite what Autogyro would have you believe in his fictitious wonderland) by looking at any one of the other threads on this site in which the ratios have been assessed.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

8 speed fixed rate gearboxes were introduced to reduce the drawers with gears and the time spent to replace gears for every race weekend. To compensate for the fact they need to run the same gear ratio's in Monaco and Monza, they introduced 8th gear.

Oh and I really don't understand how a H-box can be faster then our modern trick-shift systems. These trick-shift are faster, than any human can move the selector from one gear to another. Just by moving a selector, you disengage, transmit 0 torque, then engage next gear. The way an H-box is built, there is no other way to shift.

autogyro
autogyro

Tommy Cookers wrote:
autogyro wrote: An electrically operated selector fork box can easily match modern 'trick shift' systems in shift speed using dog rings.

for the last time, I promise (myself) .....

the 8 ratios are not closer, they are wider spread
so they can't assist as you say
they are wider spread because the final drive ratio is fixed 'for ever'
the final drive now being sealed with the transmission, for the lifing rules (unlike eg 2013)
so the current 8 'fixed for ever' overall ratios have to cover at each and every race .....
what was covered eg in 2013 by about 32 overall ratios, of which the driver had at any race the 7 best overall ratios for that race
I HAVE NOT said the 8 ratios are CLOSER together.
I Said 8 were chosen to assist KERS system development.
Yes it was also to save money and bring F1 closer to the spec formula that is currently destroying the sport, another issue.

autogyro
autogyro

NL_Fer wrote:8 speed fixed rate gearboxes were introduced to reduce the drawers with gears and the time spent to replace gears for every race weekend. To compensate for the fact they need to run the same gear ratio's in Monaco and Monza, they introduced 8th gear.

Oh and I really don't understand how a H-box can be faster then our modern trick-shift systems. These trick-shift are faster, than any human can move the selector from one gear to another. Just by moving a selector, you disengage, transmit 0 torque, then engage next gear. The way an H-box is built, there is no other way to shift.
It all depends on how fast the driver can make the shift.
The speed the selector forks move is a result not only of the driver moving the lever but the leverage ratio of the linkage and selector fork pre loading design.
Patrick Head made some unsubstantiated comments about the speed comparison with a sequential (seamless shift) but supplied no actual worthwhile data.
Such comments sell product but do not convince everyone.

I still say and will continue to say until any data becomes available that contradicts me, that a manual dog shift can be as fast as a modern seamless shift with a lay shaft gear train.
The problem with manual shifts is wear and reliability not speed.

jz11
jz11

you need not to supply any data when you compare apples to oranges - old school H dogbox has torque delivery interruptions imposed by the shifting mechanism, you can have whatever ratio levers on it - there will still be interruptions in torque delivery, but in true seamless - there is none, what data do you need to prove it?!

they may do trick mapping on the engine to smooth out the moment when the newly selected dog ring engages in the torque delivery, but the same thing you have to do with the H (or sequential) dog box if you want any reasonable reliability

autogyro
autogyro

jz11 wrote:you need not to supply any data when you compare apples to oranges - old school H dogbox has torque delivery interruptions imposed by the shifting mechanism, you can have whatever ratio levers on it - there will still be interruptions in torque delivery, but in true seamless - there is none, what data do you need to prove it?!

they may do trick mapping on the engine to smooth out the moment when the newly selected dog ring engages in the torque delivery, but the same thing you have to do with the H (or sequential) dog box if you want any reasonable reliability
Here we go again.
If there is a BREAK in engine torque delivery it is exactly the same at the rear wheel as an engine cut in partial engagement, which is all seamless actually gives.
There is a torque delivery gap in seamless systems.
It is the TIME taken for the shift that counts.
Of course electronic control on the shift allows fine timing and this coupled to the seamless mechanism reduces the chances of mis shifting and reduces component wear.
At the end of the day both systems rely on mechanical components and how fast they move.
The electronics control the operation but it is the mechanical parts that make the operation move.
This is not apples and oranges it is the development of a gear train concept originally thought up in the 19th century.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Autogyro, could you explain to us, at what point for example the Zeroshift system, sees an interuption in torque delivery. Why this is a trick and not a true seamless system?

jz11
jz11

he considers fuel/spark cutting to make the shift smoother for reliability reasons a loss of torque delivery

yet he will not acknowledge that the very same thing is being done by any half decent (read - reliable) "classic" dog box shift controller (even when the lever is being moved by human), in some cases it was even necessary, because the dogs that engage the gear had special geometry incorporated - that would pull the dog into the gear if there was torque being transmitted via that set

the sad thing is, because of the fuel limit rules, it could be argued that there could be no loss of performance for using non-seamless shifting mechanism, because essentially you are limited by the available power and you are driving to some calculated lap time - not ultimate fastest lap time, so if the gaps in torque delivery don't upset the car balance and driver can cope with it - he could drive to the same lap times as he would with the seamless shifting