RB20 speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Re: RB20 speculation

CHT wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 12:03
F1NAC wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 07:55
KimiRai wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 07:53
Massive levels of speculation, but according to a Spanish journalist, Giorgio Piola told Newey that he wanted to retire because he was too old already, unless Newey would bring another great car. To which Newey replied that he would indeed.
Well let's be real. Even if they bring RB 19 in Bahrain that would still be a great car... eh this off season time :)
which is why I am wondering if RBR will start 2024 with RB20, or should they do an RB19B spec and introduce their RB20 later in the season.
They can't start with rb19b ,because they will be beaten. I know is sounds ridiculous, but we can expect the top and middle teams improve 0.4 tenths. Next year will be more closer the top teams. If Perez will preform as this year ,then I will be surprised if he will be 2nd in the championship at end of the season.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Well, RB was leading the pack but to say wverybody followed RB is not 100% true. They also "borrowed" some ideas from competitors.

With all teams looking in awe at the RB19 and drafting their own version of it for '24, there could be some merit to the thought RB will arrive with a new platform that can be developed further, but to also plan for in-season updates drawing from all creativity that went in to their competitors cars over the winter.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 07:53
Massive levels of speculation, but according to a Spanish journalist, Giorgio Piola told Newey that he wanted to quit because he was too old already, unless Newey would bring another great car. To which Newey replied that he would indeed.
Stop teasing :lol:

The RB20. Conqueror of worlds.

organic

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... figuraccia
“ I have never been satisfied. We've had a fantastic season, we've broken records, but the reality is that there are things about the car that we think can be improved, ” added Newey, “ so you focus on things like 'What are the weak points? How can we improve them?' . Singapore was the race we didn't win. It's quite useful for us, because, if I'm honest, we made a fool of ourselves which highlighted some of the car's weak points . "

Sieper

This is why Newey is so good. Acknowledge your shortcomings, look at them with an open vizor, try to address them. Even when you are doing good work there is always, if you can find them, things to do better. In that way the Singapore weekend might be a blessing in disguise.

If they can find some speed in qualify that would be great too. The Merc years had the, both, cars up sometimes by 1,5 seconds. That is no longer happening but even the great RB19 wasn’t clearly the fastest qualifying car. It was very close with Ferrari.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Sieper wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 13:49
This is why Newey is so good. Acknowledge your shortcomings, look at them with an open vizor, try to address them. Even when you are doing good work there is always, if you can find them, things to do better. In that way the Singapore weekend might be a blessing in disguise.

If they can find some speed in qualify that would be great too. The Merc years had the, both, cars up sometimes by 1,5 seconds. That is no longer happening but even the great RB19 wasn’t clearly the fastest qualifying car. It was very close with Ferrari.
The qualifying will I think remain a weak point, their design philosophy is just completely opposite to one lap pace. In this formula, with these tyres, you cannot have both.

marcel171281
marcel171281

Rikhart wrote:
25 Dec 2023, 03:12
Sieper wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 13:49

The qualifying will I think remain a weak point, their design philosophy is just completely opposite to one lap pace. In this formula, with these tyres, you cannot have both.
Exactly.

The best car in this formula is not necessarily the fastest car. The best car is the one spending the least amount of time to get to the 300km mark.

Sieper

I agree, they likely are mutually exclusive, to a point. The challenge is there!

Wouter

F1 | Red Bull allegedly failed the RB20 frontal crash test

!!! ---> Author Franco Nugnes
Dec 28, 2023, 3.43pm

Before Christmas, the world champion team would have subjected the first 2024 chassis to the dynamic frontal homologation
test at Cranfield and the nose would not have adequately absorbed the energy, also causing damage to the body. In Milton Keynes
they worked to lighten the RB20 and bring it to the weight limit. The test will be repeated with an additional carbon skin,
but the closure of the factories imposed by the FIA requires a review of the car's timing.
Red Bull, therefore, did not obtain the homologation sticker from the International Federation for the body which was destroyed
before Christmas in the crash test which took place in Cranfield, where all the British teams subject their new cars to dynamic tests.
The Power of Dreams!

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Wouter wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 16:54
F1 | Red Bull allegedly failed the RB20 frontal crash test

!!! ---> Author Franco Nugnes
Dec 28, 2023, 3.43pm

Before Christmas, the world champion team would have subjected the first 2024 chassis to the dynamic frontal homologation
test at Cranfield and the nose would not have adequately absorbed the energy, also causing damage to the body. In Milton Keynes
they worked to lighten the RB20 and bring it to the weight limit. The test will be repeated with an additional carbon skin,
but the closure of the factories imposed by the FIA requires a review of the car's timing.
Red Bull, therefore, did not obtain the homologation sticker from the International Federation for the body which was destroyed
before Christmas in the crash test which took place in Cranfield, where all the British teams subject their new cars to dynamic tests.
It's not that interesting, teams will fail crash tests some years and not others. They'll go away, fix what needs fixing and pass the crash test. I doubt we'll ever see a team fail the crash tests to the point where the FIA refuses to allow that chassis to race. If anything Red Bull might have gone aggressive on the weight saving to see how far they can push it before they dial it back to pass the crash test.

ME4ME

Failing the crash test really comes as no surprise in my opinion.

They were always going to push the boundaries mechanically.

Red Bull have been heavily restricted in aero testing and some of those funds will instead have gone into other departments and projects. Additionally there might be a natural shift in return of investment from pure aero to other aspects since aero is maturing now and returns are diminishing. And those other avenues might eventually become aero enablers.

My guess would be that they've put a whole lot of resources into further improving the mechanical design of the chassis and the suspension, thermal management systems and crash structures. As well as reducing weight, lower CoG further, increase cooling efficiency and reduce unsprung mass, mechanical/thermal improvements will open up aero opportunities as well.

Even from a risk perspective it makes sense for them to be brave. Red Bull have the least to gain from being fully and totally test-ready early 2024. They already know their aero platform inside out. The new car is unlikely to be a departure from what they already had in 2023. Just small improvements. Red Bull doesn't risk much by being adventurous with mechanical design and the timeline of testing. However they can gain by extracting the most of what is physically possible. Its just a low risk - decent reward decision for them.

chrisc90

Didnt they fail it coming into 2023 too?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Rb failing a crash test rumors are annual tradition. :lol:

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 18:22
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... 8/7659620/
The Milton Keynes team would not have passed the frontal crash test to obtain approval from the FIA. The front deformable part of the RB18 will have to be strengthened

Wouter

organic wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 19:59
chrisc90 wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 18:22
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... 8/7659620/
The Milton Keynes team would not have passed the frontal crash test to obtain approval from the FIA. The front deformable part of the RB18 will have to be strengthened
Autore Franco Nugnes

19 feb 2022

Also from Franco Nugnes. :D
The Power of Dreams!