Italian GP 2006

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pRo

Tp wrote:Was the incident actually shown on TV?
Yes.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

manchild
manchild

boban-mk wrote:That move wasn't on purpose, but it was a blocking by FIA rulles and that it is.
If what you say was true and if there was braking of rules than FIA stewards would punish Alonso without awaiting Massa to protest. According to your claim, if Massa didn’t protest than FIA wouldn’t have punished Alonso and that is not what you’ve tried to explain and justify punishment with, right?

What I'm trying to point out is that if someone is breaking FIA rules than he gets punished without complaints and protests from other drivers - at least it should be like that if FIA stewards were doing their job impartialy.

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

Tp wrote:Was the incident actually shown on TV? Because I'm not sure how people can argue that the Stewards have made the wrong decision when they've seen it and we haven't.
Yes it was shown on tv and there was no incident and no moves by Alonso. Massa was too far behind for Alonso to let him past. Stewards are more experienced and informed than me, maybe I am wrong, but I think they would have to punish every other driver every session if this was an offence of the rules... :x
“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

pRo

I just watched the qualification again.

This really is a joke. Massa isn't even close. He might as well claim that a Renault pitcrew member broke wind and affected his lap.

I wish I could upload this video, but I can't. I hope someone else does.

boban-mk

Let's answer the question:
Did Alonso was interfere Mass's quick lap?

Answer... we all know because we see on TV.

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

Symonds furious with Alonso penalty

Formula One has become too 'politically correct' and the stewards are making inconsistent judgements, a furious Pat Symonds said this evening following the decision to penalise Fernando Alonso and demote him to 10th place on the grid.

The Spaniard had his three fastest laps of the final session in qualifying removed by the stewards, who said he had impeded Ferrari's Felipe Massa in the session today. As a result, Alonso has been demoted from fifth to 10th.

Yet Renault's director of engineering Symonds firmly believes Alonso did not impede the Brazilian, and in fact helped him gain time by getting a tow from the Renault car.

"I don't understand the penalty, because we don't feel we impeded him," Symonds said. "This is a circuit where we are always trying to get a tow - especially in qualifying. Massa was 100 metres behind Alonso, so he got a nice tow, and I don't see it as a hindrance.

"I looked at Ferrari's telemetry, and [Massa] gained time on the back straight and was quicker into Parabolica than before. He lifted in the middle of the corner. To me, it looked like a mistake but he claimed he was losing downforce."

But Symonds was particularly vocal about the influx of penalties handed out this season for blocking in qualifying, and warned that Formula One is stepping away from its core appeal as a racing series.

"It seems that we have forgotten what qualifying was like up until 2003, when half the field complained of traffic," the Briton said. "We seem to have forgotten what racing is about.

"We are so politically correct now, and I don't know what is coming next. Maybe indicators, to see whether drivers want to go left or right?"

He further criticised the stewards' inconsistency, claiming rivals Ferrari have been getting away unpunished with similar infringements.

"It's difficult to fight like this," he stated, "when you see Ferrari changing direction as many times as they wanted before the first corner in Turkey and nothing happens, and then we get penalised like this."

Symonds also stated that Alonso could well have won from fifth place tomorrow, but the penalty has vastly diminished their chances of victory, at such a crucial stage of the championship.

"We had a genuine winning strategy staring from fifth, and it will be a lot harder from 10th," Symonds said.

"Not only because it is so hard to overtake, but because we are in the middle of the pack and a lot happens there on the first lap."
“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

manchild
manchild

boban-mk wrote:You can fly, but if you are slower than the one behind and you are in out lap, you need to let him pass you.
No, you have to pass only cars that are lapping you during the race and to let faster cars overtake you during the qualifying if you're not trying to make time which is what Fernando was doing - trying to make good qualy. time.

FLC
FLC

I think you are forgetting that what happened today wasnt a race. It was the qualiyfing for the race, and yes, I've seen many-many times slower drivers moving aside and letting the faster ones go by in qualifying.

Alonso was on his outlap and right after they fixed his puncture. I bet all he and his team wanted to do was to make sure the car is OK to continue. He may have been doin his best sectors all around on that lap, but dont forget that before the puncture he was cruising in "burning fuel mode". I am more than sure that Massa was a lot closer than 300-400m to him, and in that case, plus all the reasons I gave above, he was ought to move.

manchild, a lot people are looking for conspiracies in F1. I'm not saying it's the cleanest sport on earth (just like all the rest of them) but not each and every incident is one. The FIA have been consistent about impeding other dirvers during qualifying all through the season. Alonso may have not intentionaly do what he did (like the decision says, and I'm sure of) but what he did hurt another driver and thats how it goes. Nobody paid much attention to it when it was Villeneuve or Fisico, but now its Ferrari and so something must be said.

Fans looking for conspiracies like water on a rainy day or no better for the sport then what you are ascribing to the FIA and Ferrari. Ferrari did what it could to improve its chances of winning the race, and they are no different of Renault, of which Flavio Briatore was "preparing a case" against Ferrari's cars (story was on Autosport). Thats part of the sport and you must accept it all the way around and not just when it suits you. The FIA have made decisions against Ferrari in the past, including this year and they cant manipulate everything to their likings. You forget that people like you, much more experienced and not innocent at all, are representing you over there. People just like Flavio and Dennis and others. They arent to be fooled so easily. Stopping to watch the sport u like wont help.

About Massa protesting:

A report was received from the race director that stated that the driver of car No. 1, Fernando Alonso, had impeded another driver during qualifying, namely Felipe Massa, car No. 6.
and that's from the full decision on Autosport.

pRo

I wonder if Renault complained about that...?
The final grid positions will be published by the FIA on Sunday morning.
From formula1.com

If the case was clear, surely they would've published the final positions already?

boban-mk

manchild wrote:to let faster cars overtake you during the qualifying if you're not trying to make time which is what Fernando was doing - trying to make good qualy. time.
Alonso was not in his fast lap, so he didn't make a good qualy time. Alonso was far in front from massa at the beggining of a lap. But at the midle of lap, massa was behind Alonso.
I can't imagine the reaction of Pat Simonds if the roles where oposite.

pRo

FLC wrote:About Massa protesting:

A report was received from the race director that stated that the driver of car No. 1, Fernando Alonso, had impeded another driver during qualifying, namely Felipe Massa, car No. 6.
and that's from the full decision on Autosport.
And here's what the "The Official Formula 1 Website" says:
Massa complained to officials that Alonso had blocked him whilst on his final run at the end of session. The stewards agreed and deleted the Renault star’s three fastest times from Q3, though they did concede that Alonso’s actions may not have been deliberate.

manchild
manchild

Pat Symonds wrote:"It's difficult to fight like this," he stated, "when you see Ferrari changing direction as many times as they wanted before the first corner in Turkey and nothing happens, and then we get penalised like this."
http://blog.renaultf1.com/index.php?en/ ... -on#c18437
manchild wrote:Schuey changed trajectory twice while he was defending his postion on start which is illegal by FIA sporting regulations and that is why Fisichella got in problems. I'm very pleased with today's result.

wazojugs

I had recorded the race as i was at santa pod watching the european drag racing, watching that final lap again and again and massa was nowhere near the rear of alosno

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

Manchild, as you see I am still with you, but they are definitely trying to get me stop watching F1... :lol:

manchild
manchild

Ignis Fatuus wrote:Manchild, as you see I am still with you, but they are definitely trying to get me stop watching F1... :lol:
You're a sweetheart :oops:
boban-mk wrote:Alonso was not in his fast lap, so he didn't make a good qualy time. Alonso was far in front from massa at the beggining of a lap. But at the midle of lap, massa was behind Alonso.
If he wasn't on his fast lap why did he made his best sector times on that lap? :roll: