Is team order tactics such as McLarens acceptable in 2007?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Team order tactics are ok?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 44

Tom

Perhaps to encorage competition the FIA should reward overtaking, not with points, that has too many disadvantages, but how about cash prizes. If the FIA shelled out 1k Euro per overtaking manouver of which the stewards judge to be fair, controlled and exciting the increase in fans would more than cover the cost, the teams could pay the drivers less allowing them more money to make a competitive vehicle capable of pulling off more overtaking manouvers and therefore generating more fans. Also because the drivers get the money instead of the teams it goes to the guy with the most skill and the team can't use the money to make a car that better at overtaking and steal it all. Obviously the fans and media couldn't be told about the idea though, to add controversy :lol:
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

modbaraban
modbaraban

DaveKillens wrote:Most of us have to save for a few months, and make time to attend a Grand Prix event. It costs a lot of dough to attend and participate in all the festivities of a Formula One weekend. But what most come for is to see "racing", where the best drivers in the world, in the best race cars in the world, strap on their spurs and engage in wheeled combat. It is supposed to be fierce, competitive, hard and engaging. And that's what the fans expect and pays for. To go to a race and learn that the outcome is pre-arrainged, and that there is very little hardcore competition on the track is to learn you have been ripped off.
We should rarther blame Ferrari and other 9 teams for the lack of competition, not McLaren.

In order to achieve their #1 priority (18 points) in a safe way McLaren were reasonable enough to have this in mind:
"The worst thing that you can possibly do as a team member is to collide with your teammate to take both of you out" - M. Walker

Steve Wilson
Steve Wilson

In my opinion the only reason that this no team orders rule was introduced was down to what happened with Ferrari in 2002. There is a very big difference between a driver letting his team mate through, especially down the last straight as happened with Barichello and Schumacher, to a driving holding stations to stop a collision happening.

I have no doubt that had Hamilton been on pole and been leading the race McLarens orders will have backed him.

The timing of pit stops cannot be classed as team orders, as a pit stop is a routine thing, and the team could quite easily argue their strategy for bringing Hamilton in early for his pit stop, whether it be a clear track to come out on, tyres that Hamilton wasn't quite happy on, maybe he was coming up to a lot of traffic?

The bottom line is that F1 is a team sport as well as an individual sport and I don't think McLaren acted in any way that I wouldn't have expected them to do. As already mentioned, the body language of both Alonsos and Hamiltons cars showed that they were really pushing right up until the 2nd pit stop, and then they backed off. They were allowed to race for most of the grand prix, but there is no point in risking both engines and possibly finishes (and therefore another Ferrari victory) just for the sake of who finished ahead of the other.

vis

I think McLaren behaved correctly, they just freezed positions in order to avoid any risk of collision, both between the drivers and the armcos.

Totally different story is what Ferrari did in Austria, where Barrichello had lo let Schumi pass and get the win. There was an actual change of position, made plateal by Rubens braking hard on the last straight.

Principessa

I think so too, McLaren behaved correctly. And the British who really believe that Hamilton would be able to overtake Alonso are wrong in my opinion. Overtaking in the narrow streets of Monaco and this while Hamilton touched the barriers more than once, losing more time, would have been impossible in my opinion. I think Bernie Ecclestone is also overreacting by saying that McLaren should be banned from the sport!! When it was ferrari, he would never ask for this! It's just on big soap opera and not worth all the fuss, McLaren did nothing wrong in my eyes!

allan
allan

well i guys... i completely disagree with what u said..
Mclaren changed Hamilton's strategy from 1 to 2 pitstops, and told him to slow down... mmm? what do u call that?
im not British, and im not a Hamilton fan (although the guy is BRILLIANT!), but that was completely unfair...
Berni's comments were simply REDICULOUS tough... Exclude Mclaren from the chamionship?? I think somebody is starting to show signs of Alzheimer's!!!

Principessa

They told Alonso too to slow down. It's believed they did that to save the engines for Montreal as they had such a big lead. I really don't believe that it was to prevent Hamilton to win the race. I don't think that McLaren doesn't want Hamilton to win a GP or to win the Championship. When Hamilton would win the Championship over Alonso, it would mean even MORE publicity for McLaren, they would get more sponsors = more money, etc....
In my opinion, what happened in Monaco had nothing to do with who had to win the race or not. I think that both drivers had to slow down to save their engines and that Hamilton had to slow down a bit too because he was kissing the barriers more than once and I think the team wanted to prevent him from crashing.

RH1300S
RH1300S

Wise words Principessa 8)

Sawtooth-spike

All is well, Mclarren were cleared!

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/05/ ... s_penalty/

And for a better artical
http://www.f1technical.net/news/5873 :wink: (it was not on here as i posted it)

there are alot of good points about what there options were for when they could pit. it makes sence!

Ron should of put it a differant way thats all i can say!
Last edited by Sawtooth-spike on 30 May 2007, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Principessa

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/5873

The only logical thing to do!!

bizadfar
bizadfar

captainmorgan wrote:Hamilton's fuel load is a valid point, I'll admit. If he did have 6 laps on Alonso, then he could conceivably have caught up to Alonso and maybe passed at the first pit stop. However I doubt this for several reasons. Mostly because Hamilton was I think around 5 (or was it 10) seconds behind Alonso when the latter pitted. Would Hamilton have been able to push a 10 second gain in those 6 laps? Alonso saved some fuel, so it may even have been less of a gap. The problem with this is that Alonso pushed just as hard on his out- and subsequent laps that might have made a pass even more unlikely or costly.

Even if that isn't accurate (I don't know where to find laptime data), the question that I think the FIA, British media, and the remarkably consistently red-icon-ed forum members on F1T have to answer is: Why on earth would Ron Dennis issue team orders that would benefit Alonso rather than Hamilton, if it wasn't based on either Q2 or Q3 performance? Team orders are usually for the leader in WC points, and that was Hamilton before the race.

Furthermore, why would RD give Hamilton a heavier load in Q3 at all? The only two explanations that make sense are that RD determined that the actual race would be Q2 (or that this ended up being the situation when both drivers started risking their cars). The alternative explanation is that RD has committed to Alonso winning the WC. McLaren's history and reputation, and Hamilton's pre-Monaco WC points argue against the latter
Constructors championship is just as important as Drivers championship. Go ask any team manager/owner.
DaveKillens wrote:
nae wrote:it is splitting hairs but then again when you have a rule that is as vague as this one what else should we expect.
That's the problem... does this arrogant declaration of ordering the drivers to maintain station constitute affecting the outcome? Not really, it's my personal belief that if Hamilton had launched a true challenge, then Alonso would have been able to respond. So barring the drivers colliding, we most likely would have seen Alonso 1st, Hamilton 2nd .... AND an extra boring race (exactly why Bernie is so tough on this situation) anyways.
So according to the current rules.. not guilty. But in reality, they were under orders.... my head hurts, I think I'll order whatever Ciro is drinking... :roll:

Tom

I think to the managers and principles of the teams the Constructors Championship is far more important than the drivers as the constructors is what gets the sponsors and sells the road cars keeping the team firmly in the sport.

Principessa:
I think Bernie Ecclestone is also overreacting by saying that McLaren should be banned from the sport!!
Bernie really said that? He can't have been serious, I think he was just trying to stir up the media. Having heard so much about Bernie (from Watkin's and Brundle's books) I'm quite sure there was a money making motive for doing this, he's a very shrewd and clever man and clearly this kind of person does not go shouting out such ridiculous opinions with no personal gain.
Does anyone have a video of him saying this? It would be very interesting to hear how he said it and see his voice, it sounds almost like he was being sarcastic or ironic.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild
manchild

If Bernie thinks that Mclaren should be banned because of what "happened" in Monaco than Ferrari should have been shot, hanged, slaughtered, burned and chopped for what they've been doing from 1996 to 2006.

:roll:

allan
allan

manchild wrote:If Bernie thinks that Mclaren should be banned because of what "happened" in Monaco than Ferrari should have been shot, hanged, slaughtered, burned and chopped for what they've been doing from 1996 to 2006.

ur opinion... who cares ? :P

enkidu
enkidu

manchild wrote:If Bernie thinks that Mclaren should be banned because of what "happened" in Monaco than Ferrari should have been shot, hanged, slaughtered, burned and chopped for what they've been doing from 1996 to 2006.

Totally 100% agree with that!! What Mclaren did was in the rules what Ferrari did was damn right unfair.