Mclarens new front wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
modbaraban
modbaraban

mahesh248 wrote:^^^^ are u serious ..?

today's picture ^

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

McLaren to use new front wing in Spanish GP.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58512
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

mahesh248
mahesh248

yeah i saw that ...hmmm looking forward to the race ...

beerbellybob
beerbellybob

In spite of what kilcoo said, I still wonder. That element is way out front. The air flow is cleaner there than most other places. But...

What if its there to help condition flow while closely following another car? Maybe help overtaking while affecting their own aero minimally. I know that the turbulence behind another car must be massive and that this wing will only help partially smooth out the air flow, but nevertheless. Maybe a better aero analysis of that wing would be to check its effect behind a Ferrari diffuser / rear wing combination.

modbaraban
modbaraban

beerbellybob wrote:What if its there to help condition flow while closely following another car?
Wow :shock: I didn't think about this. Nice idea.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

zender05 wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote: Maybe this project is why McLaren have gone to a low nose design to begin with ..
Quite interesting! Could very well be possible. However, I'd wonder why they didn't bring it forward until now if that was the case.
So they started developing this design in 2003 with MP4-18A to bring out this wing in 2007? :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Not specifically. They knew they had more room to experiment with a low nose layout. The wing is just the end result of having that space available. And it's not only the design .. the fabrication is a challenge too, as that's quite a span for such a small, elegant element.

beerbellybob
beerbellybob

Just got no responses to what I suggested above. So thought I'll revive the topic.

So come on guys, at least let the ridicule flow freely. I have a right to that at least... maybe???

bizadfar
bizadfar

beerbellybob wrote:Just got no responses to what I suggested above. So thought I'll revive the topic.

So come on guys, at least let the ridicule flow freely. I have a right to that at least... maybe???
well in my opinion these devices are so useless when behind another car.

The car infront is killing you're downforce, esp at the front. I do not think there is even any air left to condition with that wing hahahah :D

Vasco

I dont think Mclaren would invest all that time and money to develop a device just to help them follow other cars better. Rather make a device which allows you to lead a race from start to finish.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

beerbellybob wrote:In spite of what kilcoo said, I still wonder. That element is way out front. The air flow is cleaner there than most other places. But...

What if its there to help condition flow while closely following another car? Maybe help overtaking while affecting their own aero minimally. I know that the turbulence behind another car must be massive and that this wing will only help partially smooth out the air flow, but nevertheless. Maybe a better aero analysis of that wing would be to check its effect behind a Ferrari diffuser / rear wing combination.
Good point, but so far this year, the car that got through turn one first went on to win. These days, qualifying and starting position is ultra-critical. It has become more important to have that one golden qualifying lap than improved race pace. So build a car that is at it's very best in clean conditions, optimized for qualifying or leading the pack.

PNSD
PNSD

Vasco wrote:I dont think Mclaren would invest all that time and money to develop a device just to help them follow other cars better. Rather make a device which allows you to lead a race from start to finish.
Good point.

Mclaren arnt planning on being behind people, so why spend money on a device that is designed to work when behind.

pRo

I'm sure you're all right. Of course every team wants to make their car as fast as possible on a clean track.

But in real life, no one can be first all the time as this season has already proved. Sometimes you're behind and anything that can make the car better following someone is also a good improvement. Even if you're on a pole and lead all the time, it might make all the difference if you can follow a lapped car through a corner when he can't be bothered to give way early enough.

And should something happen in the start to the fastest qualifier, he might end up behind another car. Like Massa in Malaysia.

If that indeed improves the cars ability to follow other cars and thus making overtaking easier, I sure hope that every teams copies it. :D
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

HKS

Hey guys lets hope for the best

Mclaren has to be good and they do have to take risks to bet the the Scarlets :)

modbaraban
modbaraban

new pic of RBRs version

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

modbaraban wrote:Here's a good pic of McLaren's

doesn't look that shoking now, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now the upper wing is grey, instead of red.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.