Ferrari 458 Italia

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Ferrari F458 Italia

Who knows why they added an intake on the rear fender. It's not there on the real 458 and Ferrari doesn't change the bodywork all that much on the race versions anyways.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Pandamasque

I does look sexy with that black roof :shock:

ISLAMATRON

all true sportscars do... it gives them a fighter jet cockpit effect... it really cool when its a silver body with the black cockpit.

Giblet
Giblet

mx_tifosi wrote:Image

Who knows why they added an intake on the rear fender. It's not there on the real 458 and Ferrari doesn't change the bodywork all that much on the race versions anyways.

Much like the intake they added in front of the front wheel, it is likely for brake cooling. I would guess that there is a beefier or extra oil cooler as well. Either way, I am sure it is for cooling brakes at least.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Just so there is no confusion, this isn't official but just a photo shopped 458.

And yes I imagine what those extra holes might be for, but an important design aspect of this car was the low amount of drag that the bodywork created. And with the extra holes the cd will surely increase, which is going against the 'look' and 'design' of the car itself.

IMO... :)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

gibells
gibells

ISLAMATRON wrote:all true sportscars do... it gives them a fighter jet cockpit effect... it really cool when its a silver body with the black cockpit.
Yeah man. That's why the NSX is such a classic.

Giblet
Giblet

Was until the started painting the roof in the body color. To my knowledge it was the last car with pop up headlights, the other major portion of the cars original looks that needed to be bastardized to accommodate day runners.

My 86 Accord Coupe S had popup headlights, and a button to keep them open in the winter in case they might freeze.

if you started pushing that button repeatedly on and off, the lights would start to pop up and down out of sync, alternating, making cars in front of you see a winking Honda coming up the rear.

Never head any trouble getting people to move out of the way, they didn't know what to think usually and moved over so I could pass.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Menn84HB65g[/youtube]
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

IHeartStig
IHeartStig

with that extra hole in the rear fender there it sort of makes me think of another car

I have a feeling James Glickenhaus will want one of these

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Some info I read the other day said that the front winglets are aeroelastic and deforms at speed.....pretty top flight F1 stuff on a road car....

autogyro
autogyro

Shame about the Matrix revisited wheels.

Pandamasque

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T2mlMpkqUA[/youtube]

with 2 different sets of bumpers.

autogyro
autogyro

Could the grey primer bumpers be because they knocked the corners off the first ones?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think the front moulding is different to the standard one. There's an additional hole in the central section and the pseudo-dive planes on the front corners look a little crisper too.

I wonder if it's a test of a 458 'challenge' car bumper set...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Pandamasque

The grey one's look nothing like road going version, there are no 'flexible' aero flaps too.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Can it cruise in top gear at 70?
Can it carry golf clubs or similar?
Yea Im missing the point arent I :D ....but seriously now, which middle to old aged fogey with the cash for one of these beauties is actually going to use it the way "god intended"?

And from early impressions of the MP4-12C, with brake steer and pre-cog gear selector along with a V8 that hums to 9k AND has low end torque, Ferrari will not have it all its own way. If indeed the Mclaren is a better drive, Ferrari will still sell its weapon, but the naff tossers that buy em will look even more crass.

Point being, I dont think the Mclaren driver buys the car to be seen in it as much as the Ferrari. Time will tell I suppose so I could be wrong.

Small matter of a certain 160k Merc too, which you can service for the same as an AMG C-class according to the gumph I recieved in the post from Mercedes World.

And is it me or does this V8 not sound as wail-like as the 430 and 360?
Does this incorporate FIAT's much vaunted MultiAir tech?

Indeed this is Ferrari's bread and butter motor,hope it succeeds and personally I love it. But jesus, do I ever hate the people that buy them.
More could have been done.
David Purley