About the F1 Resource Restriction Agreement

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Fil

Re: Lola reveal 2011 resource cap

As long as you can buy parts, services, even complete F1 chassis designs, outsourcing will make a mockery of a team personnel limit to lower costs; just like the setup of Red Bull Technologies, for RBR & STR, made a mockery of F1 constructor regulations.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Ciro Pabón

Some posts were removed.
Ciro

WhiteBlue

Ciro Pabón wrote:Some posts were removed.
=D>
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Rod_in_Chile
Rod_in_Chile

WB I don't think Ciro's post needed comment, and in fact commenting on it may only further contribute to the conflict

xpensive
xpensive

Perhaps you misunderstand Rod, sometimes you can be that happy just see you own posts go away. :wink:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Fil

xpensive wrote:Perhaps you misunderstand Rod, sometimes you can be that happy just see you own posts go away. :wink:
:lol: just ask goony! #-o

i do wonder why the FOTA-organised resource restriction agreement is, in fact, still secret.

There was speculation that one of the sticking points of the defunct $40m budget cap was that sponsors would demand cheaper rates.
The idea was that due to the cost of F1 coming down, the exclusivity attached to F1 would be cheapened in image, hence a cry for equivalent lower sponsorship packages. This would result in the same problems as now, just at a lower price bracket, not to mention the damage to F1's image.

I wonder whether this is part of the reason for the secrecy again..?
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

xpensive
xpensive

Don't open that can again Fil, there is no evidence of any "resource restriction agreement", let alone a secret such.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

Some remarks regarding this issue were made in another thread.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=135823

I realize that there is still denial of the RRA by some members. This is why I copy my post with some sources of the RRA here.
WhiteBlue wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:BTW, I agree with some members on the idea that invoking a "secret" report to give credibility to my posts will not give them any credibility, but, hey, that's me again.
Although the criticism is completely off topic in this thread I will briefly comment on it. You can transfer it to the thread where it belongs if you care to keep the discussion of the issue coherent.

The "secret" resource restriction agreement (RRA) is not a report, it is part of the Concord Agreement that runs to 2012. It is absolutely vital to the future running of F1 and that is why it is relevant to people working in F1 and to fans. It was at the core of the break away discussion in summer and only by finding a compromise for resource restrictions has the break away been avoided eventually. Without some resource restriction F1 would find it increasingly difficult to attract private teams to fill the grid which has been emptied of high budget manufacturer teams lately.

The interest in resource restriction is particularly true for engineers because their employment opportunities and conditions will be shaped by that agreement for the foreseeable time.

I did not invoke a secret report to give credibility to my posts. I quoted an industry participant who shed some light on the details of an agreement that undisputably exists. Are you saying that Norbert Haug or Ross Brawn lie when they refer to the RRA? Please read the following quotes that explicitly refer to the RRA.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=47431
Haug is confident that with the carmaker now set to benefit from a share of commercial revenues, and the effects of the resource restriction plans agreed between teams from 2010, its target will be achievable.

“We have much, much better circumstances these days in Formula 1. A team gets more money from the commercial rights holder, there is a new agreement in place obviously, so this limits the spend of the teams and we will spend much less money than we used to do in the past.
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=352300
Brawn Grand Prix offers an altogether different explanation: "The background to this decision are the new terms and conditions for Formula 1. The 'Resource Restrictions' (the new name for Max Mosley's budget cap) set by FOTA and FIA effectively limit expenditure for the design, construction and running of the racing cars. In addition, there will be a significantly higher income available for a Formula 1 team generated by the commercial rights of the racing series following the signing of the new Concorde Agreement."
I hope these quotations make it clear that an RRA does in fact exist. Before you make such unfounded and uninformed criticism as above you better read what was posted in the other thread. I think that you will have to make some corrections to your above post if you do.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

Fil wrote:

i do wonder why the FOTA-organised resource restriction agreement is, in fact, still secret.

There was speculation that one of the sticking points of the defunct $40m budget cap was that sponsors would demand cheaper rates.
The idea was that due to the cost of F1 coming down, the exclusivity attached to F1 would be cheapened in image, hence a cry for equivalent lower sponsorship packages. This would result in the same problems as now, just at a lower price bracket, not to mention the damage to F1's image.

I agree that this is actually the best explanation why the teams made this a non issue in their official PR. Brawn and Haug had some explanation to do why the switch from McLaren to Brawn and from share holder to works team would be beneficial. In that situation they found it necessary to mention the effects of the RRA.

ISLAMATRON

Fil wrote:i do wonder why the FOTA-organised resource restriction agreement is, in fact, still secret.

It is secret because FOTA doesnt want to let the fans see how they are being shafted and how much of a better plan the FIA budget cap was.

I idea that the sponsorship money would go down because the budgets are totally false, the amount requested for "ad space" is based on the number of eyes that view it, not how much the "ad" cost to produce. Take the superbowl, the price for a commercial spot is not tied to the salary of the teams in it, it is tied to how many people are going to watch the game, if it happens to be a major market team than it might bring more eyes, but that does not necessarily mean that their salary level has to be higher.

The FIA budget cap was not going to lower the number of viewers watching F1, quite the contrary, with all these new teams, and the new drivers they employ, increasing the interests of new/more countries, and the new technologies/innovations allowed under the FIA cap it was almost guaranteed that the viewership was to increase. The only thing that would have lowered the price of sponsorship was that there would be more teams and so therefore more "ad space"... but do you really think Santandar would be sponsoring Campos instead of Ferrari? or Vodafone sponsoring Manor over McLaren?

ISLAMATRON

another team principal mentions the RR
The second reason was that I wanted to buy into a team with a lot of know-how, with a good infrastructure and the capability of coping with the new resource restrictions agreement. Williams has been operating with a significantly smaller budget to the manufacturers for some years.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80518

I really dont know what all the fuss was about on this forum but I thought the Resource restriction agreement was pretty much common knowledge.

WhiteBlue

ISLAMATRON wrote:I really dont know what all the fuss was about on this forum but I thought the Resource restriction agreement was pretty much common knowledge.
I believe the issue is more about the existence of a headcount limit in said agreement. The idea is inconceivable for some of our members who tend to prefer a more robust all out approach to competing. A sport that works under resource restrictions can prevent rich teams with high resources to use aquired wealth as an element of keeping superiority and keep the small new teams out of competitive positions forever. This reflects Montezemolo's school of thought which prefers third cars to new independent teams with low resources and more drivers.

If I read the situation right Ferrari could have lost an alley to that policy lately when McLaren knew that they would not have the abundant resources they enjoyed in former years.

WhiteBlue

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... kaway.html

Mosley confirms again that there is a resource restriction agreement in place which replaced the budget cap planned by the FIA. He also confirms that Ferrari wants to keep the budget restrictions secret.
On June 11, we had yet another meeting with FOTA. This time we agreed everything except the mechanism for the cost cap. But even here, we agreed that the target figures of their and our cost cap (or "resource restriction", as they preferred to call it) were virtually the same. We agreed to put our respective financial experts together to agree the methodology.
We understood Ferrari's reluctance to publish figures but we saw no real difficulty because all the detail of the FIA method for checking and enforcing the cost cap had been worked out with the team chief executives in a series of meetings in the first half of 2008, with only Ferrari dissenting. We were also happy for the teams' own auditors to certify compliance, with outside auditors involved only if there was genuine suspicion of cheating.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/ James Allan confirming that a resource restriction agreement is in effect.
These sentiments were echoed by Richard Branson and the Virgin team today at their launch. The Resource Restriction Agreement has changed everything in F1.

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:I think the propsition to keep a team's headcount in check from the outside is simply preposterous, anyone who ever ran a business would perhaps agree with me. How about a limitation on working hours, temps, trainees, students, consultants, volonteers and coffe-breaks?
xpensive wrote:All this talk of headcounts is just crap by people who never even been close to run a business Chap, when anyone who actually has knows it can never ever be policed.
xpensive wrote:No they have not, there is no headcount agreement, when everyone involved knows it's neither useful nor enforceable.
xpensive wrote:Again, a headcount limit of an F1 team's employees will never happen, for the simple reason that everybody involved knows that it would be completely useless as well as unenforceable.

Clocking people going in and out of a team's premises would possibly been of value in the 60s or 70s, when you designed and manufactured every bolt and nut yourself, but today it would be simply stupid.

This concept was probably dreamed up by someone with --- for engineering xperience, like MrM or one from F1T perhaps.
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/mo ... =8&catid=0
Luca di Montezemolo wrote:Instead of that, and the budget cap, there should be a limit on "the number of people (staff) and the number of working hours, and within these limits everyone can do what they want", added Montezemolo.
It appears that Montezemolo proposes a crap idea, expensive? So has he never been close to run a business?

We will eventually learn what FOTA FIA agreed to, but it is increasingly obvious that my view isn't far away from reality.

The Wall Street Journal also seems to have some insight into the RRA:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 87290.html?
The Wall Street Journal wrote:To rein in the sport'ssky-rocketing costs, Formula 1 recently installed spending caps, restricting test driving and the number of engines and gearboxes teams can build. Teams that employed as many as 1,000 staff in more freewheeling days will be allowed roughly a third of that by the end of next year. As a result, Daimler anticipates its participation in Formula 1 could soon cost the company less than €60 million ($85.5 million) a year, or a quarter of its Formula 1 budget in earlier days.
This would put the 2011 headcount cap at 330 which isn't that far away from the 280 that Birrane has mentioned. The evidence is building up.

WhiteBlue

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/mo ... 7&catid=17

Another source from USF1 mentions the resource cap and a head count for general and travelling team size.
Anne Proffit wrote:The new, limited resource F1 is playing into the hands of the USF1 Team quite nicely. With a total personnel limit of 180 and trackside liaisons confined to 45 people, Anderson and Windsor can hire the best to fit their parameters.
I believe that Anne actually got the 180 figure wrong. It is more likely to be the 280 mentioned by Birrane.