McLaren engine in the future?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
meexi
meexi

Re: McLaren engine in the future?

Surely they will just half the V8 they already have to make a competition engine

McG

When fully commissioned in the late spring of this year, this impressive new high quality assembly centre will be capable of producing up to 4000 engines annually across two daily shifts. The facility has been designed and configured around the requirements of its lead customer, McLaren Automotive, for whom it will act as the production supplier of the all-new McLaren M838T 90 degree, V8 twin-turbo engine.

And that's them talking about the Ricardo building.

Still pretty cool!
F1 is dead.

McG

meexi wrote:Surely they will just half the V8 they already have to make a competition engine
Like the sawing the box in half with the woman in it? Which half to choose....
F1 is dead.

meexi
meexi

McG wrote:
meexi wrote:Surely they will just half the V8 they already have to make a competition engine
Like the sawing the box in half with the woman in it? Which half to choose....

Not the top half that has the brains :lol: :lol:

Pup
Pup

The Triumph Slant-4 returns! :lol:

WhiteBlue

The cylinder bore is five mm too big to meet the F1 spec. But they can surely adjust that along with pretty much all other design data. :lol:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Raptor22
Raptor22

hmmm, halving a 2.4L v* gives me a 1.4L straight 4...

They'll have to lengthen the crankshaft arms or increase the bore to meet 1.6L...

WhiteBlue

Raptor22 wrote:hmmm, halving a 2.4L v* gives me a 1.4L straight 4...

They'll have to lengthen the crankshaft arms or increase the bore to meet 1.6L...
McLaren have no 2.4L V8. They have a 3.8L.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

WhiteBlue wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:hmmm, halving a 2.4L v* gives me a 1.4L straight 4...

McLaren have no 2.4L V8. They have a 3.8L.
Quite. Reducing the bore by 5mm to bring into F1 regs would surely compromise the bore spacing/engine packaging. I would expect a clean sheet design.

Pup
Pup

Whitmarsh speaks...

http://news.indialocals.com//read/2011/ ... um=twitter

So it isn't cost effective to design an F1 engine right now, since running their own engine wouldn't affect their car sales.

Sensible.

But then he says that the switch to smaller engines might change that calculation. The only thing I can take that to mean is that they wouldn't then be designing a separate engine. Just a different version of the F1 engine for their road cars perhaps? Once that doesn't require a 10-man crew to start up, I assume. :lol:

McG

The latter is what I was thinking Pup.
F1 is dead.