McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

Yes its similar. I was thinking about something more radical, with 3 smaller rads working along a channel; maybe with an intake that allows an entrainment form flow near the inside walls of the inlet like in a turbofan.
twitter: @armchair_aero

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:beelsebob - I think that's n_smikle's rendition of the -27 rather than official pics... no?
Urgh... note to self... Staring at F1 technical before coffee... bad.

raymondu999

n_smikle - did you basically invert the side pods outside-in? So they're still L-shaped, but instead of the shorter bit being in the middle; the shorter bit being at the sides?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

raymondu999 wrote:n_smikle - did you basically invert the side pods outside-in? So they're still L-shaped, but instead of the shorter bit being in the middle; the shorter bit being at the sides?
Looks like it, which takes away all of the clear air that went through the center. Now there's dirty air from the tyres and the sidpod inlets going to the back of the car which I guess last year wasn't worth the CoG advantage.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

F1.Ru

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

scuderiafan wrote:I doubt McLaren would try that. You have to remember that if you've thought of an idea, somebody else on the team has already thought of it as well.
Beside that IMO that this types of side pod will be deemed illegal and FIA will banned them immediately in concern of driver safety.......
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:n_smikle - did you basically invert the side pods outside-in? So they're still L-shaped, but instead of the shorter bit being in the middle; the shorter bit being at the sides?
Yes. the engine intakes are located in the high part of the "L"
The air box starts from the side pod and goes around the back of the driver.
Owen.C93 wrote:
Looks like it, which takes away all of the clear air that went through the center. Now there's dirty air from the tyres and the sidpod inlets going to the back of the car which I guess last year wasn't worth the CoG advantage.
There is no more dirty air than on a regular side pod car such as the RB7. The Side pod height at the top of the "L" is the same standard 600mm.

Thee is now a clear pathway to the rear wing with the blade roll hoop desing. There is no engine intake behind the driver.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Blackout

Why not simply rotate the intakes with their radiators to 90° ? :mrgreen:

like many F1 in the 80s and 90s

beelsebob
beelsebob

Blackout wrote:Why not simply rotate the intakes with their radiators to 90° ? :mrgreen:

like many F1 in the 80s and 90s
Because such a design raises the CoG significantly.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

n smikle wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
There is no more dirty air than on a regular side pod car such as the RB7. The Side pod height at the top of the "L" is the same standard 600mm.

Thee is now a clear pathway to the rear wing with the blade roll hoop desing. There is no engine intake behind the driver.
RB works because they can cut in the sidepods early, which wont be possible with such low and small intakes. Not saying it's bad but seems no better than current U pods for sure.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Raptor22
Raptor22

n smikle wrote:Pics are out!!!

....Of my predictions!

Right click... view image

Ilike what you're thinking, Shelly too.

I only differ in that I believe the U shape or L shape of 2011 will be retained but in a more radical form.

This would maintain a clear path of airflow to the beam wing and they could probably use the exhaust to speed up the flow at the back of the car and over the beam wing which will draw air through the diffuser faster.

volarchico
volarchico

Raptor22 wrote: I only differ in that I believe the U shape or L shape of 2011 will be retained but in a more radical form.
This being in direct contradiction to what thestig84 says as "inside information"...only a few more days to find out who is right! The MP4-27 launch is the most exciting because it seems to be the only one with a possibility for change instead of just refinement (maybe Ferrari too if the rumors are true).

dren

volarchico wrote:
Raptor22 wrote: I only differ in that I believe the U shape or L shape of 2011 will be retained but in a more radical form.
This being in direct contradiction to what thestig84 says as "inside information"...only a few more days to find out who is right! The MP4-27 launch is the most exciting because it seems to be the only one with a possibility for change instead of just refinement (maybe Ferrari too if the rumors are true).
I expect both Ferrari and Mclaren to be noticeably different.
Honda!

kalinka
kalinka

volarchico wrote: The MP4-27 launch is the most exciting because it seems to be the only one with a possibility for change instead of just refinement (maybe Ferrari too if the rumors are true).
So, F1T could prepare a dedicated server for this thread for tomorrow . After the launch it'll be fireworx here :) Can't wait.

raymondu999

From page 34 :mrgreen:
raymondu999 wrote:After all this speculation; it would be an absolute tragedy if the MP4-27 turned out to be a very conservative, no-frills design :lol:
Having said that, I don't it will be the case. But it would be an absolute tragedy if it was.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

snorri788
snorri788

I know that speculating on a sheet over a car (which in itself is likely to be a rendering rather than a photo) is somewhat pointless, but if it is likely to be the MP4-27 underneath then it might be quite a looker! Much smoother profile on the nose than the CT-01's croc beak.