2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Joseki wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 11:55
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/m ... 07561.html

ERIC:
"We have information from Renault that proves to us that their engine is competitive.

"Maybe it is a bit behind the Mercedes and the Ferrari but it has potential."

"We have had meetings that show they are working on a reliability and performance package that will be more competitive next year.

"The other advantage of working with Renault is that we will have a say in engine design. In 2019 we will have a solution that is almost 'factory', so it's an advantage over a customer engine."
sounds more like Ron Dennis three years ago....

Redragon

Jolle wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 12:39
Joseki wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 11:55
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/m ... 07561.html

ERIC:
"We have information from Renault that proves to us that their engine is competitive.

"Maybe it is a bit behind the Mercedes and the Ferrari but it has potential."

"We have had meetings that show they are working on a reliability and performance package that will be more competitive next year.

"The other advantage of working with Renault is that we will have a say in engine design. In 2019 we will have a solution that is almost 'factory', so it's an advantage over a customer engine."
The part what he says Mclaren will have a say in engine design sounds bollocks, Renault is investing on their own team and chasis and want to be Worlchampions with it, so they are not modify the design for Mclaren, they are gonna design the engine the best possible, to fit to their Renault chassis requirements to become competitive. So I think is more right to say Mclaren will have to adapt to the engine design supplied.

godlameroso

Vasconia wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 09:29
HPD wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 17:41
Bad luck for Alonso, I think it could be fourth or third.
Disappointing race, I expected more in this circuit.
Horrible pit stop.

Let's hope the next race is better...
Its Malasia, don´t think so.
Why do you say so? Malaysia isn't a power track, it's an aero track, neither DRS straight is very long. There's plenty of heavy braking so you can harvest through the MGU-K. The Honda power unit only loses out after 280kph, below that they're ok now, and given there's not many places in Sepang that cars go faster than that, I'd expect a similar gap to Singapore. ~1.6 seconds from pole.
Saishū kōnā

dren

Right, they will get what they get from Renault.
Honda!

BeardedAce
BeardedAce

GoranF1 wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 14:15
Redragon wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 14:05
Jolle wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 12:39

The part what he says Mclaren will have a say in engine design sounds bollocks, Renault is investing on their own team and chasis and want to be Worlchampions with it, so they are not modify the design for Mclaren, they are gonna design the engine the best possible, to fit to their Renault chassis requirements to become competitive. So I think is more right to say Mclaren will have to adapt to the engine design supplied.
You are the most pesimistic person on the face of the Earth.
You say Honda will fail
You say Mclaren will fail whit Honda
You say Mclaren will fail whit Renault
What the hell do you want
Mclaren aren't a works team anymore, They will be a customer team from now on, they should start acting like it.
Saying rubbish like they will have a "say" in engine design doesnt make sense. Redbull tried to have a "say" by using Ilmor (or LLien?), Renault rejected it. They won't be building any special "size zero" engines for Mclaren anytime soon.

Renault will give them their PUs and Mclaren will have to build their chassis around it. Just like the other customer team do. At no point Renault will compromise their own team for Mclaren or Redbull.

foxivan
foxivan

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13189 ... -to-change

I just can't stop laughing. A company stubborn and reluctant for foreign and pointing fingers at others saying they didn't embrace changes. Wake up Honda.

Vasconia

godlameroso wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 14:16
Vasconia wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 09:29
HPD wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 17:41
Bad luck for Alonso, I think it could be fourth or third.
Disappointing race, I expected more in this circuit.
Horrible pit stop.

Let's hope the next race is better...
Its Malasia, don´t think so.
Why do you say so? Malaysia isn't a power track, it's an aero track, neither DRS straight is very long. There's plenty of heavy braking so you can harvest through the MGU-K. The Honda power unit only loses out after 280kph, below that they're ok now, and given there's not many places in Sepang that cars go faster than that, I'd expect a similar gap to Singapore. ~1.6 seconds from pole.
It won´t be better than Singapur, this is what I have said. I don´t expect them above the 9-10th positions.

Mad
Mad

foxivan wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 15:30

I just can't stop laughing. A company stubborn and reluctant for foreign and pointing fingers at others saying they didn't embrace changes. Wake up Honda.
Who says Mclaren wasnt stubborn? Boulier? Hasegawa has indicated multiple times that they are talking outside help, so?

ZakB
ZakB

Mad wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 15:36
foxivan wrote:

Who says Mclaren wasnt stubborn? Boulier? Hasegawa has indicated multiple times that they are talking outside help, so?
Talking yes, listening no.
BeardedAce wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 14:49
GoranF1 wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 14:15
Redragon wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 14:05

You are the most pesimistic person on the face of the Earth.
You say Honda will fail
You say Mclaren will fail whit Honda
You say Mclaren will fail whit Renault
What the hell do you want
Mclaren aren't a works team anymore, They will be a customer team from now on, they should start acting like it.
Saying rubbish like they will have a "say" in engine design doesnt make sense. Redbull tried to have a "say" by using Ilmor (or LLien?), Renault rejected it. They won't be building any special "size zero" engines for Mclaren anytime soon.

Renault will give them their PUs and Mclaren will have to build their chassis around it. Just like the other customer team do. At no point Renault will compromise their own team for Mclaren or Redbull.
I'm pretty sure he's refering to the energy systems. Renault did talk with Ilmor, but said that their own concept has more potential.

loner

Mad wrote:
foxivan wrote:

get over it man a month from now y'll see who is realy the laughing stock of this saga.
Honda are already close to Renault with a development PU .. you better start evaluating Honda progress starting from spec 4 its not like they are standing still since 2015 they started from scratch in 2017 season.
they couldn't do winter test and now they are regular Q3 :D with an unfinished PU. :D
para bellum.

hemichromis
hemichromis

I can imagine Mclaren having 'a say' in the Renault PU sort of like this:

Mclaren: Can you do this?
Renault: No
Mclaren: Ok then.

Jolle
Jolle

hemichromis wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 16:52
I can imagine Mclaren having 'a say' in the Renault PU sort of like this:

Mclaren: Can you do this?
Renault: No
Mclaren: Ok then.
It’s a bit brexit-ish...

I read somewhere that a British “no” is an opening for negotiations and should be read as a “maybe, we’ll see”. While on mainland Europe, no is.... well... no...

loner

ZakB wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 17:05
loner wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 16:49
Mad wrote:

get over it man a month from now y'll see who is realy the laughing stock of this saga.
Honda are already close to Renault with a development PU .. you better start evaluating Honda progress starting from spec 4 its not like they are standing still since 2015 they started from scratch in 2017 season.
they couldn't do winter test and now they are regular Q3 :D with an unfinished PU. :D
Honda are already close to Renault with a development PU :lol:
Mclaren will push like crazy with the spec 4 for more few quids from FOM , only to prove the credibility of Honda. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
para bellum.

loner

well ALO got what he wanted with the crash that prevented him from a shot on a podium in Singapore.
he didn't want to drive the car any way remember this :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zSZEuo8_5s
para bellum.

hemichromis
hemichromis

Well leaving the first corner in second, I think he would have had fun with Ricciardo!
With the conditions and the track he could actually race. His main gripe has been that he can take corners perfectly than get overtaken with ease in a skill less DRS overtake in the middle of the straight.
4th would have been minimum if he had not been thrown into the air like that.