2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
myurr
myurr

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne 13-16th March

el-Magico wrote:I hope this boring race was a one off.. it really s@cks this new engine formula...

Ps.
Bottas was also lucky that his fault created a safety car..
Also Button was lucky
Go watch another series if you think that was a boring race. My favourite driver, Hamilton, lost out very early on due to mechanical issues but as far as dry races in F1 go that was a pretty good race with some good on track action. And the drivers were having to work for a change rather than just steer and have the grip that the car predictably just does what's asked of it.

This new formula is a definite step in the right direction, and there'll be plenty of chances for interesting counter strategies later in the year even when things settle down.

Francesc
Francesc

zeph wrote: Williams, the second best car? Which race did you watch? Better than Ferrari, possibly, but better than McLaren or RBR?
Yes it was. Haven't you seen his pace before the hit with the wall? Gaining time on Ricciardo and Magnussen all the time when in clear air.

el-Magico
el-Magico

myurr wrote: Go watch another series if you think that was a boring race. My favourite driver, Hamilton, lost out very early on due to mechanical issues but as far as dry races in F1 go that was a pretty good race with some good on track action. And the drivers were having to work for a change rather than just steer and have the grip that the car predictably just does what's asked of it.

This new formula is a definite step in the right direction, and there'll be plenty of chances for interesting counter strategies later in the year even when things settle down.
Good for you, that you like this fuel saving formula....
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

Powershift

the EDGE wrote:
Powershift wrote:
zeph wrote:Button to announce his retirement after this season at the Belgian GP.
So many drivers more deserving of that seat and that money, Whitmarsh is such a jackass to pay him so much.

He may have issues with balance, he may also not be the quickest in quali... but he's sure as hell always showed good race pace, often moves up not down, has won plenty of races and was a match for Lewis all through out their time together

Just look at today if you need any more proof
Today what? Qualified way back behind his rookie teammate, and then gifted multiple positions thru attrition, a free pit under the SC which gave him like 3 free positions, and then still beat by a rookie, and no he was never a match for Lewis, ever.

No way this man should be getting paid 18 mil
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

zeph
zeph

Francesc wrote:
zeph wrote: Williams, the second best car? Which race did you watch? Better than Ferrari, possibly, but better than McLaren or RBR?
Yes it was. Haven't you seen his pace before the hit with the wall? Gaining time on Ricciardo and Magnussen all the time when in clear air.
I don't have the live timing app. From where I was sitting, it looked to me that RBR and McLaren were second fastest today. The results seem to back this up.

myurr
myurr

el-Magico wrote:Good for you, that you like this fuel saving formula....
You clearly don't understand F1 if you think that this level of fuel saving is anything new. This is also the second hardest race on fuel so is pretty much as bad as it gets and there wasn't that much fuel saving going on beyond that in place last year. How many cars were having to slow to four or five seconds off the pace? The answer is none.

el-Magico
el-Magico

somebody in this thread wrote:

He may have issues with balance, he may also not be the quickest in quali... but he's sure as hell always showed good race pace, often moves up not down, has won plenty of races and was a match for Lewis all through out their time together

Button quali's so far back.. It is easier to make up places during the race..
Last edited by el-Magico on 16 Mar 2014, 10:33, edited 3 times in total.
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

myurr
myurr

zeph wrote:I don't have the live timing app. From where I was sitting, it looked to me that RBR and McLaren were second fastest today. The results seem to back this up.
Were it not for his brush with the wall Bottas would have been challenging for the podium. Considering where he started that shows how quick the car is. In the first stint he was second only to Rosberg in pace, which may have cost him a little bit in the second half.

Even Button just commented on how quick the Williams is.

zeph
zeph

el-Magico wrote:
zeph wrote:

Button quali's so far back.. It is easier to make up places during the race..
I didn't say that, you deleted some quotation marks.

Sevach
Sevach

myurr wrote: Go watch another series if you think that was a boring race. My favourite driver, Hamilton, lost out very early on due to mechanical issues but as far as dry races in F1 go that was a pretty good race with some good on track action. And the drivers were having to work for a change rather than just steer and have the grip that the car predictably just does what's asked of it.

I gotta say other than Bottas being out of position the entire race and having to make up for it...
What kinda action did you see?

the EDGE
the EDGE

Powershift wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
Powershift wrote: So many drivers more deserving of that seat and that money, Whitmarsh is such a jackass to pay him so much.

Today what? Qualified way back behind his rookie teammate, and then gifted multiple positions thru attrition, a free pit under the SC which gave him like 3 free positions, and then still beat by a rookie, and no he was never a match for Lewis, ever.

No way this man should be getting paid 18 mil
Lewis at McLaren 4th, 5th, 4th
Jenson at McLaren 5Th, 2nd, 5th

you do the math...like I said, has problems in Quali but always delivers when it counts

zeph
zeph

myurr wrote:
zeph wrote:I don't have the live timing app. From where I was sitting, it looked to me that RBR and McLaren were second fastest today. The results seem to back this up.
Were it not for his brush with the wall Bottas would have been challenging for the podium. Considering where he started that shows how quick the car is. In the first stint he was second only to Rosberg in pace, which may have cost him a little bit in the second half.

Even Button just commented on how quick the Williams is.
On what tires? And what tires did the others have?

On a different note, Massa demads action against Kobayashi:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112951
Last edited by zeph on 16 Mar 2014, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

el-Magico
el-Magico

zeph wrote:
I didn't say that, you deleted some quotation marks.
Correct, there is something wrong with the quote function in this thread.. Ip
Last edited by el-Magico on 16 Mar 2014, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

matt_b
matt_b

Rosberg had 3 reliability problems which ended his race in 2013, Lewis had 0. Its just the way it goes in motor racing. Bullet proof reliability from Mclaren though, real contenders given Merc and Red bulls reliability. Ferrari still some work to do performance wise. Also dont forget Williams, cant wait for the next race in a long 2 weeks time.

el-Magico
el-Magico

matt_b wrote:. Bullet proof reliability from Mclaren though,
Not completely true,... How about Buttton's nose.. :P