2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
CHT
CHT

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

mnmracer wrote:
ACJJ619 wrote:Vettel was quicker than Hamilton in the speed trap. What will it take to put this "Mercedes are only winning cause of the engine" myth to bed?

Source: http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... ap_V01.pdf
I wouldn't say "only because of the engine", but Rosberg pulled 0.4 away from Vettel on the two grand-stand straights alone. Unless you think Rosberg is so good he can do all that in two corners -one of which a hairpin-, it's pretty clear the Mercedes engine is superior.
Merc is in a different league to RBR at the moment. The lower fuel consumption rate is perhaps a good indicator that both Hamilton and Rosberg are not really pushing.

Shrieker

Once a wXXXe, always a wXXXe :( He should've told them to go fxxxng swivel like Hamilton said to Ron Dennis back in 2007.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

fets81

Just_a_fan wrote:
fets81 wrote:just thinking out loud but the regs this year call for each competitor to nominate their forward gear ratios, so I assume when it states "each competitor" it means driver not team?

If so is it possible hamiltons gears were just better suited to malaysia than nico's & maybe this had something to do with how hamilton was able to use less fuel?
Rosberg had to be careful that Vettel couldn't get too close to him so he might not be able to coast as early and had to be on the power fully a bit earlier out of a corner. Hamilton, having made the gap, was able to do all of the fuel saving stuff perfectly.

Oh, and it's also possible that Hamilton was just 100% today whilst Rosberg was only 99%. That would be enough.
yeah lewis was obviously "on it" today I was just curious if team mates had gone different ways in terms of gears then could this be an attribute to the difference in fuel usage but it was stated a few posts later that ham & ros are running near identical gears so yeah its probably a culmination of better setup, under less pressure in the race so probably a calmer approach in terms of lift & coast
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White

Chasis_1992

How can I get a lap chant of Malaysian GP? Like that:

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Emerson.F wrote:
ChrisM40 wrote:Whats interesting for me is that if the fuel usage graphics are true then the teams had a margin, some over 10%, so why weren't they pushing harder?
I understand Lewis not doing so, since he didnt need to, but if you finish the race with 8 to 10% fuel left, you haven't managed it properly..
It might have something to do with engine life.
Also, cars no filled with the whole 100kg of fuel. The graphics show percentage of 100kg used not the percentage of what in the tank. It may've been quicker to start with less weight, say 92 kgs and only use 90 hence 90% of 100kg used but still empty tanks at end.

oT v1
oT v1

but, but, but how can there be any fuel saving issues?!?!???? you have a max flow rate.....SO SET IT AT THAT and fill the tank accordingly. Is it really worth minding consumption and tyres for half the race just in case there might be a safety car?????? are they trying to time there 'tyre saving' time to save some fuel too?

just seems crazy that fuel could be the limiting factor and not tyres
The Power of Dreams

CHT
CHT

bonjon1979 wrote:
Also, cars no filled with the whole 100kg of fuel. The graphics show percentage of 100kg used not the percentage of what in the tank. It may've been quicker to start with less weight, say 92 kgs and only use 90 hence 90% of 100kg used but still empty tanks at end.
Did they show cars starting the race with below 100% fuel on board?

I would though that the reading is showing the percentage of the fuel they start with, and that might or might not be 100kg.

SiLo

Mercedes has a better engine yes, but I wouldn't say RB have a better chassis. You don't have that much pace in hand without cracking chassis as well!
Felipe Baby!

ringo

fets81 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
fets81 wrote:just thinking out loud but the regs this year call for each competitor to nominate their forward gear ratios, so I assume when it states "each competitor" it means driver not team?

If so is it possible hamiltons gears were just better suited to malaysia than nico's & maybe this had something to do with how hamilton was able to use less fuel?
Rosberg had to be careful that Vettel couldn't get too close to him so he might not be able to coast as early and had to be on the power fully a bit earlier out of a corner. Hamilton, having made the gap, was able to do all of the fuel saving stuff perfectly.

Oh, and it's also possible that Hamilton was just 100% today whilst Rosberg was only 99%. That would be enough.
yeah lewis was obviously "on it" today I was just curious if team mates had gone different ways in terms of gears then could this be an attribute to the difference in fuel usage but it was stated a few posts later that ham & ros are running near identical gears so yeah its probably a culmination of better setup, under less pressure in the race so probably a calmer approach in terms of lift & coast
There's no mystery to investigate. Once driver just drove better. No gearing tricks, no technical differences. One driver just got the most out of the very same car. It would be wrong to assume both are equally capable and only differences in the car can set them apart.
I think Rosberg has the biggest challenge of his career trying to figure out how to prevent Hamilton from winning every race where he doesn't have to retire from mechanical issues.
For Sure!!

beelsebob
beelsebob

CHT wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
Did they show cars starting the race with below 100% fuel on board?

I would though that the reading is showing the percentage of the fuel they start with, and that might or might not be 100kg.
No, the FIA have no way to know how much they started with. It's a percentage of 100kg, and they may or may not have 100% of the fuel on board.

djos

SiLo wrote:Mercedes has a better engine yes, but I wouldn't say RB have a better chassis. You don't have that much pace in hand without cracking chassis as well!
Merc Clearly have the Best PU and a very good chassis, RedBull clearly have the Best Chassis and worst PU and the Chassis is what allows them to compete for podiums.
"In downforce we trust"

beelsebob
beelsebob

djos wrote:
SiLo wrote:Mercedes has a better engine yes, but I wouldn't say RB have a better chassis. You don't have that much pace in hand without cracking chassis as well!
Merc Clearly have the Best PU and a very good chassis, RedBull clearly have the Best Chassis and worst PU and the Chassis is what allows them to compete for podiums.
Yep, this.

By asserting RedBull's aero/chassis is the best, no one is saying that Merc's is not good. It's plain as day that Merc's is good, but I'm confident than RedBull's is better.

Ral
Ral

Emerson.F wrote:
ChrisM40 wrote:Whats interesting for me is that if the fuel usage graphics are true then the teams had a margin, some over 10%, so why weren't they pushing harder?
I understand Lewis not doing so, since he didnt need to, but if you finish the race with 8 to 10% fuel left, you haven't managed it properly..

It might have something to do with engine life.
Probably, but also I think we're only now seeing roughly how much the teams under fuel their cars by and how much fuel saving they have always been doing anyway.

PlatinumZealot

Rosberg had a heavier foot that's why he used more fuel and burnt more tyres.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

djos

beelsebob wrote:
djos wrote:
Yep, this.

By asserting RedBull's aero/chassis is the best, no one is saying that Merc's is not good. It's plain as day that Merc's is good, but I'm confident than RedBull's is better.
I agree 100%, If I wasn't on my phone I'd up vote you :)
"In downforce we trust"