2012 Exhaust Blowing & Coanda

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: 2012 Exhaust Blowing & Coanda

Your channel geometry has not changed from the original post?

I have to do an actual test. What is the channel width, curvature and length of the curved surface?

Brian

PlatinumZealot

Width is the same as the exhaust pipe.. 75mm.
Radius of the curve is 144mm
straight run up to the curve is 66mm from the exhaust exit.
As you know the angle of the straight is 10 degrees.

Channel depth is about 75mm at the end of the curve and 127mm at begining.. My sidepods are very ugly so that's why the channel depth is so deep. But as you have seen by Sauber f1 team they played around with the starting channel depth.

The end of the channel is 150mm above the floor.
The center of the of the exhuast pipe exit is 217mm above the floor.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Nando
Nando

Could you make one that shows the exhaust on full throttle?

18.000 rpm and exhaust gases that are leaving at 350km/h just as they exit the exhaust.
At around 170km/h
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

PlatinumZealot

All of them are full throttle. With the data I collected from Williams video documentary. See earlier in this thread for the data. I don't have access to it now.

-Mass flow rate through the engine - at max revs
- Exhaust gas temperature

were taken
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Nando
Nando

Could you make one at standstill and one at 150km/h?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

hollus

Look starting at page 14 in this thread, Nando. Several speeds and configurations in the following pages. Standstill would be the one in the last page. 2m/s isn't very different from 0.
Rivals, not enemies.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Why the heat shield cladding on the inside portion of the rear control arms? It is even in place on the rear legs. How in the world does the exhaust flow get that far inside?

Brian

Image[/quote]

PlatinumZealot

Just because they were testing both exhaust configs back to back.

Anyway as I commented on before, I don't think the exhausts are the key factor this year,and Alonso believes that as well.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99325
When asked for his feeling on the new exhaust configuration, he said: "Nothing surprising in terms of performance. I think we tried different configurations of exhaust layout and each day we had a different one and different parts on the car. I think it was just to confirm what our thoughts were and what to bring for the next races and for development.

"This year it is not any more important what position you choose [for the exhausts], or how you manage the position. We saw in Australia one of the quickest cars had the lateral exhausts like McLaren, we saw in China two Red Bulls with different [exhaust] positions and we saw in Bahrain, Red Bull with the lateral ones, but the quickest car was Lotus with the straight ones.

"So we cannot lose even five minutes on this. There are bigger areas of the car where we need to improve and we try to do it."
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

marcush.
marcush.

this was rather obvious .
Stubbornness seems not to be a trait exclusive to germans ....I´m surprised..actually I´m not(surprised).
You got a pack of engineers focused on exhaust development ,you may even have invested in very expensive equipment to map and judge exhaust phenomena and knowledge has been accumulated and the damn technology is reduced to a tightly defined slot in the bodywork...you got all the expertise and possibilities in hand telling you we will find the magic knack ...when in reality the maximum gain is next to nothing ...so you optimise looking for improvements but the end result is a gain that´s barely naticeable BUT doing weird thing to balance .....
I´d say one has to step back from the CAD screen two or better 4 m to get a broader view of the picture and look at areas not restricted at all...for example brake ducts?

raymondu999

Exhausts might not e the KEY factor, but surely they're still A factor though...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

raymondu999 wrote:Exhausts might not e the KEY factor, but surely they're still A factor though...
as I acknowledged...I think trying to achieve something useful creates a big opportunity to get it all wrong (complicated crossover tunnel creating instability of flow under yaw conditions ,end of story is the car is not quicker over race distance)...

crypted
crypted

marcush. wrote:this was rather obvious .
Stubbornness seems not to be a trait exclusive to germans ....I´m surprised..actually I´m not(surprised).
You got a pack of engineers focused on exhaust development ,you may even have invested in very expensive equipment to map and judge exhaust phenomena and knowledge has been accumulated and the damn technology is reduced to a tightly defined slot in the bodywork...you got all the expertise and possibilities in hand telling you we will find the magic knack ...when in reality the maximum gain is next to nothing ...so you optimise looking for improvements but the end result is a gain that´s barely naticeable BUT doing weird thing to balance .....
I´d say one has to step back from the CAD screen two or better 4 m to get a broader view of the picture and look at areas not restricted at all...for example brake ducts?
Brake ducts may play a huge part this year ; I read somewhere that Mclaren is currently using an adjustable rear brake duct in order to manage their tyre temperature.

bhall
bhall

marcush. wrote:[...] I think trying to achieve something useful creates a big opportunity to get it all wrong (complicated crossover tunnel creating instability of flow under yaw conditions ,end of story is the car is not quicker over race distance)...
I agree with that. I got excited yesterday when I thought I saw a way for Ferrari to combine the exhaust plume with vented air from within the engine cover, because it seems exhaust alone under the current regulations is not enough to do anything but cause trouble.

Richard
Richard

This comment in the Caterham thread sums it all up:
King Six wrote:There's a merry go round going on here. Sauber develop ramp exhaust exit. Red Bull develop ramp and tunnel exit. Red Bull revert to Sauber ramp only exit. Sauber test McLaren v2 exit. Force India/Williams(?) test McLaren v1/heavy undercut exit. Caterham test Red Bull ramp and tunnel exit....
It seems only McLaren have any certainty in the exhaust exit, either that or hesitancy about changing the arrangement. It'll be interesting to see how the teams end up at the end of the season, will we see convergence in this area?

alogoc
alogoc

Re: Ferrari F2012

I think Ferrari will try in Canada new interpretation of this kind of exhaust.only will use coanda ramp of some kind!

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2287/f2012rtv.jpg
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!