HRT F111 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: HRT F111 Cosworth

Has HRT bought off some old molds from BGP and winter testing of MGP Ross seems to have found a new way of creating some cash in .... :roll: :roll:

hecti
hecti

marcush. wrote:Has HRT bought off some old molds from BGP and winter testing of MGP Ross seems to have found a new way of creating some cash in .... :roll: :roll:
haha... but it isnt a brawn, the radiator intakes are different, but i guess that they could be trying to replicate a redbull/brawn combo radiator intake and of course a w02 exhaust, but that looks like a real boch of a job...

got a cool pic of the hrt after the race this weekend tho:

you can see all my post race pics here

bill shoe
bill shoe

Great collection of post-race pics, thanks for sharing.

marcush.
marcush.

but still the updates all look very Brawnesque ...and it fits well to their Windtunnel deal doesn´t it? ..So one could think of a bit more than just renting a tunnel but maybe even the use of old models and older spec parts ...

spinmastermic

HRT have an ex-Brawn aerodynamicist and they wont be in the wind tunnel until next month.

marcush.
marcush.

I know..I was half joking ...but then ..if the guy was actually doing these shapes for Brawn and they have kept those shapes obviously ,why did they release the guy back then?

scarbs
scarbs

spinmastermic wrote:HRT have an ex-Brawn aerodynamicist and they wont be in the wind tunnel until next month.
The designer is Paul White, He was at Honda, and sub contracted himself to redraw the Honda based Super Aguris, then rejoined Brawn.

They are in the Mercedes tunnel in July, firstly mapping the current car, then starting development on the 2012 car.

marcush.
marcush.

the Mercedes tunnel is 1:1?
Or do they take over and modify an older Brawn/ Honda model?
As I understand till today HRT has followed or emulated the now abandoned CFD only approach so they do not have a windtunnelmodel?
Of course there is the dallara model somewhere in italy ,but is it for sale?
I think the Dallara Tunnel is has 50% modelsize capability or even bigger...

sticky667
sticky667

from the beginning of the season both Colin and Geoff said the chassis is completely new. Only the top half of the tub has been carried over.

marcush.
marcush.

I understand the tub is the same shape but needed additional panels to meet the new crash test rules?

I ´m not sure where they stated the monocoque top half only is the same...
As I understand they even had the old front suspension on the car in race one ...

but maybe we find some picture evidence where the moncoque is different in shape.

It is well possible they changed build technique ,layups etc ..

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

They had the same radiators as well on the car for the first 3 races, and for the first same beam wing that they used on the F110 Plus that was used in testing.

Geoff WIllis and Paul White designed the F111 using reverse engineering, as Dallara refused to release some specific data on the F110. They also used cloud computing clusters running CFD to design the F111 from the F110s data.

They reverse engineered the car in about 6 weeks to get the data they needed.

However the F111 is a fully CFD car, it used data from the F110 that came from the wind tunnel at Dallara for the first and only iteration of the F110 and the data they gained from using all their 4 aero days last year by using a wind tunnel for the reverse engineering stage.

The car is being updated at present. Id recon that they will use their first day in the wind tunnel to put the F111 into to get a good data baseline, then they will put a model in.

The Tunnel that they are using at Mercedes is the #2 tunnel, the one that is used by British Cycling for wind tunnel testing and the one that was used by Amy Williams just weeks before her Skelleton Gold Medal in Toronto last year. This is the "Adjustable" tunnel as it can be adjusted for many diffrent uses. It is arguably more advanced than the Mercedes #1 tunnel, but in F1 terms is about 2 years out of date now, however in terms of what some other teams have, its more up to date as those teams dont have a tunnel.

Id recon they will use about a couple of weeks tunnel time in for the current F111 car with the team switching over in lthe last week of June to work on the F112 car for next year.

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

ESP - Great info as always!

Do we expect Hispania to change engine manufacturers? WIth Williams expecting to use Renault next year, can we expect Hispania too?

I also expect the F112 to be a lot better of car, its a car that will be fully designed with in normal frame times and with Ex Red Bull Aero guys with the team, things can only get better for next years car.

Any more news on Jamie Alguersuari joining Hispania with his Spanish sponsorship?

Muulka
Muulka

cbbcisace wrote:ESP - Great info as always!

Do we expect Hispania to change engine manufacturers? WIth Williams expecting to use Renault next year, can we expect Hispania too?

I also expect the F112 to be a lot better of car, its a car that will be fully designed with in normal frame times and with Ex Red Bull Aero guys with the team, things can only get better for next years car.

Any more news on Jamie Alguersuari joining Hispania with his Spanish sponsorship?
Seeing what they managed to do in such a short time with this car bodes very well for them.
And I think that Alguersuari will be the first of the Torro Rosso guys to leave, but I think that he at least has one team which would embrace him with open arms.

I fear that HRT will become a modern-day Minardi, but let's hope for something more along the lines of Williams (though perhaps a change of names would be in order- my mum was shocked when I once mentioned HRT to her! :lol: )

scarbs
scarbs

marcush. wrote:I understand the tub is the same shape but needed additional panels to meet the new crash test rules?

I ´m not sure where they stated the monocoque top half only is the same...
As I understand they even had the old front suspension on the car in race one ...

but maybe we find some picture evidence where the moncoque is different in shape.

It is well possible they changed build technique ,layups etc ..
I was told by Kolles at the Valencia test that the only the top half was carriee over. At its launch I recall a comment that the chassis were actually the same but had the zylon anti-intrusion panels fitted. I'm still trying to get to nterview Willis, hopefully we can clear up these questions.
One thng interestign I noted were the rear lower wishbones, they are machined Titanium, no apparent welding anywhere on them. Ive not seen that before (althought tyrrell had machined aluminium RTWB on the 012).

xpensive
xpensive

scarbs wrote: ...
One thng interestign I noted were the rear lower wishbones, they are machined Titanium, no apparent welding anywhere on them. Ive not seen that before (althought tyrrell had machined aluminium RTWB on the 012).
I seem to remember that Gordon Murray had a faiblesse for machined wishbones on all of his BT-cars?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"