2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne 13-16th March

Shrieker wrote:I went back to bed at exactly half way on lap 28. Did i miss much ?
Not much:
- McLaren and RB pretended about the possible fight between a Ricciardo and Magnussen for second with messages about fuel saving and fuel settings but it soon equalised itself
- Bottas had an overtake later on to finish sixth.

NTS
NTS

SidSidney wrote:I can think of one person in the RB garage who will be quite happy with a Ricciardo DQ...
Not sure why you would think that. Read this: http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/03/16/hor ... rbo-scare/

SidSidney
SidSidney

basti313 wrote:
SidSidney wrote:I can think of one person in the RB garage who will be quite happy with a Ricciardo DQ...
Why? Rosberg is the driver to beat and the McL profit....
First you have to beat your team mate. Then the rest of the paddock. 18 points will be a game changer in 2014.
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

Shrieker

iotar__ wrote:
Shrieker wrote:I went back to bed at exactly half way on lap 28. Did i miss much ?
Not much:
- McLaren and RB pretended about the possible fight between a Ricciardo and Magnussen for second with messages about fuel saving and fuel settings but it soon equalised itself
- Bottas had an overtake later on to finish sixth.
Thank you for your kind reply ! I hadn't slept much, and the race looked very much like it was stabilizing...

Obviously gutted for Hamilton. He's by far the unluckiest of the current crop of drivers. This has to be the 5th or 6th time in the last few years he's had problems whilst leading and subsequently retire. Vettel unlucky too, i guess they couldn't solve his car problems from yesterday. Mercedes showing massive pace thanks to Rosberg. Hamilton will have a hard time bridging that gap especially since it's very apparent there aren't anybody to go between him and Rosberg on race days. It'll be very interesting to see whether the other teams can make massive strides and eat into the gap Mercedes currently have or not. If they can't, at least maybe we'll see a good fight between team mates for the title, cause the advantage they have right now looks enormous.
Last edited by Shrieker on 16 Mar 2014, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Bomber_Pilot

Ral wrote:
Bomber_Pilot wrote:What if you could somehow tune your fuel flow rate with the FIA sensor? Let say when the sensor takes a measurment, your fuel flow rate is within the limits and in between it's way over it (pulsating)? Just some crazy ideas here, it's allmost 1 o'clock here and we are having a bbq :)

EDIT: just saw, that you are already discussing it.
At a guess I would say you'd probably run afoul of the 100kg/h and won't be able to finish the race.
You would do that only when needed. Like Ricciardo in the last laps, when Magnussen was really catching him. He was told he was ok on fuel, so they could afford it. But thats just a bone thrown out there.

Paul

Discrete nature of fuel injection means continuous measurement is impossible, with accumulating devices forbidden after the measuring device that would mean the injection period would have to comply to 100 kg/h rule, while the period between injections would have 0 flow. Cars would be unable to use anywhere near 100 kg per race.

atanatizante

Some thoughts of the day:
1. Lap times analysis indicates that after Merc the pecking order (at least after this race) is:
1) Williams 2) RBR 3) Macca 4) Fred
2. Had you compare 2013 fastest times with 2014 ones Rosberg`s 1.32,478 was good enough to battle with the Catherhams and Marussia !
3. Melbourne was the 2nd race with the highest consumption - according to Lauda - 1th one is Spa and 3rd one is Bahrein
4. F14T has 18kg overweight - source Ted Kravitz - than they have at least 7 or 8 tenth deficit on lap time due to weight
5. Rumors says that W05 has only 6kg over the limit and for this race they under fueled the car which was fueled only with 94kg of fuel on board and that`s way they were forced to save fuel for a long time than anybody, in contrast with Ricci who have been told after 20 laps not to save anymore …
The reasons for doing that were the followings:
a) 6kg of weight means roughly 0,2 sec per lap (or almost 11 sec. after the race)
b) ERS + ICE mode was in down on mappings in order to spare them
c) They have had almost 1 sec/lap (if you take into account the lost time before SC)
6. The same rumors says that RB10 has a little bit over 60% of ERS at their disposal due to software mapping issues to handle torque distribution dynamically between ICE and MGU-K, hence one shortcoming is the violent exit out of the corner something they have mastered in previous years, but most of all something where they could gain time over everybody else ...
But another drawback, and bigger one, is the fact that they are down on speed on the straights, something that could be seen in the speed traps records and backed by Christian Horner statements after the Qualy.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

iotar__

Thanks atanatizante:
"4. F14T has 18kg overweight - source Ted Kravitz - than they have at least 7 or 8 tenth deficit on lap time due to weight"
It seems a lot but the question is if the others are overweight too - some other teams numbers? It may explain why they went without turbo cover (forced to gamble?), and if the rumours are true this should add 3 kg later in the season. What's so heavy on Ferraris?

Why is it taking so long with Ricciardo, another big team bonus with made up grey area? Splitting hair about measuring techniques and fluctuations other cars didn't encounter. As long as measuring is constant for everybody what can be ambiguous about it?

Maxion
Maxion

https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status ... 4155213824

Adam Cooper says that Ricciardo has been DSQ'd.

timbo
timbo

iotar__ wrote:Why is it taking so long with Ricciardo, another big team bonus with made up grey area? Splitting hair about measuring techniques and fluctuations other cars didn't encounter. As long as measuring is constant for everybody what can be ambiguous about it?
I think they can claim that the flow meter itself was inaccurate, in which case it is probably sent to labs for testing.

mikeerfol

fritticaldi wrote:@ mikerfool yes Team AMG Mercedes
Did you just called me fool? :x

:P :lol:

Yup it's official, Ricciardo is disqualified, Mag 2nd, Button 3rd!

atanatizante

iotar__ wrote:Thanks atanatizante:
"4. F14T has 18kg overweight - source Ted Kravitz - than they have at least 7 or 8 tenth deficit on lap time due to weight"
It seems a lot but the question is if the others are overweight too - some other teams numbers? It may explain why they went without turbo cover (forced to gamble?), and if the rumours are true this should add 3 kg later in the season. What's so heavy on Ferraris?

Why is it taking so long with Ricciardo, another big team bonus with made up grey area? Splitting hair about measuring techniques and fluctuations other cars didn't encounter. As long as measuring is constant for everybody what can be ambiguous about it?
You`re welcome iotar_! Your my man! Really love your posts bro` :D
Back to the story I don`t know precisely why Ferrari is so heavy, presumably due to their air-to-water inter-cooler
And concerning flue flow meter don`t they have a FIA imposed one which is standard for everybody?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

mikeerfol wrote:
Red Bull get zero points for round one?

Wow.

fritticaldi

@ mikeerfol I apologize for mispelling your alias. :oops:

mnmracer
mnmracer

GrizzleBoy wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:
Red Bull get zero points for round one?

Wow.
Not surprisingly after winter testing.
Only surprising after how this weekend developed.