Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Farnborough
Farnborough

Re: Ferrari SF-24

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 May 2024, 08:19
Space-heat wrote:
20 May 2024, 21:41
Is it the angle or is Ferrari's keel way further forward than Mclaren or Red Bull?
Camera focal length is different for Ferrari photo compared to other cars on zioture's post, yours is better
Technically, its the photographer distance that changes perspective, not focal length. If a photographer stood at a fixed distance to the rear diffuser eg 100 mtrs distant, then used all of their lenses, the image would be exactly the same if magnified to give final image the same size.

In comparison, if the photographer moves closer then the perspective changes to give different visual representation to us. This is what changes our appreciation of the component.

If you look at a tall building from a distance (true shape) then stand close to it on the ground, or half way up for example, these view points will all give a distortion of geometry from one to another.

Space-heat
Space-heat

I am unsure if this is the Imola spec for both RBR and Ferrari but a nice comparison image by - https://x.com/NicolasF1i

Qualitatively, the RBR diffuser has more refinement/complexity (we have known this since Monaco 2022). What I find interesting is the "kick" part of the red bull floor to the right of the yellow arrow. Whereas Ferrari seems to have a smoother transition in this region. The central sections of the keel on the Ferrari seems more pronounced and the floor roof seems to be higher (yellow arrow). Lowering the floor roof or adding these more pronounced kicks as seen on the RBR and Mclaren floor, without inducing porpoising, could be future development or maybe Ferrari have gone for a different approach.

Vanja #66

Space-heat wrote:
22 May 2024, 10:53
I am unsure if this is the Imola spec for both RBR and Ferrari but a nice comparison image by - https://x.com/NicolasF1i

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOKpFtYXEAE ... ame=medium

Qualitatively, the RBR diffuser has more refinement/complexity (we have known this since Monaco 2022). What I find interesting is the "kick" part of the red bull floor to the right of the yellow arrow. Whereas Ferrari seems to have a smoother transition in this region. The central sections of the keel on the Ferrari seems more pronounced and the floor roof seems to be higher (yellow arrow). Lowering the floor roof or adding these more pronounced kicks as seen on the RBR and Mclaren floor, without inducing porpoising, could be future development or maybe Ferrari have gone for a different approach.
Ferrari always kept the "classical" approach to floor design since 2022 debut. Their diffuser isn't a diffuser as such, it's simply an extension of a curved floor profile underneath. While Red Bull has a diffuser kick and basically every other team copied them since Monaco 2022 reveal by Perez, Ferrari kept their original approach and adapted it. Ferrari are limited with roof height to prevent bouncing, but their pressure distribution is more evenly distributed and as far as I can see they lose less downforce when running higher then minimal ride height (since their floor roof is higher to begin with)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Space-heat wrote:
22 May 2024, 10:53

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOKpFtYXEAE ... ame=medium

The problem is we don’t know if those kicks are for packaging reason or what they do. Flow isn’t laminar through this portion of the floor and you have two (or multiple) vortexes spinning and coming in contact with each other in this area of the floor.

While Mclaren and RedBull are currently successful, Ferrari is too, and don’t confuse more shapes with better / being more refined. If that was the case, you could just make everything wiggly looking and call it better.

Xyz22
Xyz22

yooogurt

The completely new specification traces the solutions incorporated in the 2.0 package with a design already seen in the previous two-year period. The wing combines cut endplate ears with the high load robe. The mainplane is horizontal with an increased chord, along with a new DRS profile. It is the first truly different specification in terms of load level that we will be able to appreciate on the SF-24 after as many as 7 season's events. At Suzuka a high load specification had been declared (justified as a configuration to be used in case of rain) but in fact always kept in the Maranello team's back-garage. From the information we have, we can say that the Monaco wing is an entirely new specification for the 2024 season, different from the one declared and not seen in Japan. (c) formula uno
FORZA FERRARI!

F1NAC

Vanja #66

Wow, they did actually make another high-load wing, 3rd version in 3 years. :lol: Brandon, you were right :mrgreen: At least this one is definitely maxxed out on flat section span, while 2022 wing was even less loaded than 23 version.

Beam wing is same as last year (photo bellow), I did not expect that to be honest. Must be driving the 2024 floor particularly hard like it did for last two years, 'cause the drag penalty is as big as it gets...

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

bananapeel23

Holy moly that's a thiccccccc rear wing. All in, Ferrari doesn't do half measures it seems. Just a massive slab of a rear wing.

Surely you can't make a higher load rear wing within these regulations, given that the new wing edge from the upgrade package seems to increase wing size more than any other wing solution can, except for maybe the AMR22 pseudo-endplate wing that has been banned now?

matteosc
matteosc

The DRS flap looks very small compared to lower downforce wing, and honestly to RedBull solution as well.
Not expecting much of a DRS effect with this wing.

scuderiabrandon

matteosc wrote:
23 May 2024, 16:44
The DRS flap looks very small compared to lower downforce wing, and honestly to RedBull solution as well.
You are comparing images with very different focal length's.

matteosc
matteosc

scuderiabrandon wrote:
23 May 2024, 16:58
matteosc wrote:
I will wait for better pictures then, even tought I seriusly doubt that the camera's focal length would make such a huge difference, even if it was macro vs telephoto.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

matteosc wrote:
23 May 2024, 17:07
scuderiabrandon wrote:
23 May 2024, 16:58
matteosc wrote:

I will wait for better pictures then, even tought I seriusly doubt that the camera's focal length would make such a huge difference, even if it was macro vs telephoto.
Lightroom, Capture One, Photoshop, and camera brand native software can correct for lens distortion.

Whether these did or not is another question.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

matteosc wrote:
DRS is fairly pointless in Monaco anyway - there isn't enough room / time to benefit from it. Probably better to have the "best" downforce you can so that you can maximise qualifying and then tyre usage in the race itself.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2024, 17:41
matteosc wrote:
DRS is fairly pointless in Monaco anyway - there isn't enough room / time to benefit from it. Probably better to have the "best" downforce you can so that you can maximise qualifying and then tyre usage in the race itself.
Isn't qualy with DRS? It may not help you to overtake, but it helps in laptime.