2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisM40
ChrisM40

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

zoro_f1 wrote:
thomin wrote:Are you trolling? Kobayashi's brake didn't work. You can't ban a driver for a malfunction of his car. If you want to punish anyone, you have to punish the team, but even then you'd have to prove negligence first.
I am not trolling! :evil:

Why no one is still waiting and watching. If it is a team error rather than driver's, than the team deserves a punishment. This issue will go away without any movement for giving a priority of "safety first". I mention this earlier... i don't know why you cant see that. :roll:

This is not a trolling, it is a opinion which obvious no one wants to discuss. :x
The team didnt make a car that deliberately failed. Doing so is bad for them as well as everyone else.

Sometimes things fail, it happens, there is no need for a ban or punishment here.

MOWOG

I think this could make for interesting results/
I agree. It IS entertaining. My heart was definitely beating faster as I saw Daniel holding off Magnusson at the end. After the disastrous pre-season Red Bull had, coming home 2nd (even if temporarily) was highly interesting. And watching Vettel get stomped by his young teammate was kind of enjoyable. Seb is a bit full of himself these days. And the fact that it was an Aussie doing in Australia was great! :D

But......and this debate has no resolution, I realize that up front - a Formula One race is, by definition, not endurance racing. It is meant to be a full out sprint start to finish. Try telling Gilles Villeneuve that he needs to take it easy in the middle of a race and he would look at you like you were from Mars. Do you think Senna or Lauda or Hunt ever considered taking their foot off the loud pedal and coasting for a bit? Were Prost and Senna just cruising around that fateful day in Japan?

The reference to long distance runners is a red herring. No human is capable of the sustained power output of an internal combustion engine, with or without ERS. I get winded just taking out the trash! :oops:

In all debate, it is essential to define one's terms. Racing today is not the same as it has been since Formula One resumed after WW II. I used to devour the race reports in Road & Track back in the 50's and 60's and I never once remember a reference to any driver going less than flat out all the time, every time. So I suggest the definition of "racing" has undergone a metamorphosis of late and that we ought to at least be aware of the evolution of the word.

Perhaps I am just an old fart pining for the good ol' days when men were men and racing was racing (I think CanAm may have been the best racing EVER!). I admit that different generations will see things through a different lens. But to me, what we have today is entertainment. And it is pretty interesting entertainment. But is it racing? I submit the answer is "No, it is not."

I have told this story before, but it bears retelling. In 2000, my wife and I traveled to Indianapolis for the inaugural F1 race. The main entrance is just below Turn One which was the final corner in F1 configuration. As we approached, practice was going on. Suddenly, a howling, snarling, bellowing sound came at us from inside the track. A moment later, a pressure wave washed over us, roiling our intestines, pressing on our chests and making our hearts beat faster.

"What was THAT?" my wife asked, her eyes wide with wonder. "That was the sound of a Formula One car at full speed, I replied. Just seeing the excitement in her eyes was worth the entire trip.

And so, my young friends, I suggest that much has been lost along the way from 2000 to the present. The product still looks like steak, but the sizzle and the aroma of a real steak are missing. If F1 as presently constituted returned to Indy tomorrow, I doubt my bride would be nearly as keen to go as she was back then.

And that, I think, illustrates my point and explains why I think the sport has dug itself into a hole and is hell bent on making the hole deeper. :cry:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Redragon

I am sick of this comments that this new F1 is not racing and not entertainment enough. If you don't like it just quit the sport and find something else to watch sundays.

A marathon racer doesn't go faster all the time, it controls its pace and not only is about racing but about intelligence and strategy. And the new F1 is not far from it.

I agree there are more variables than before but it is all done to strategy and interpretation and understanding those parameters, it is far more interesting than just racing, because gives more chances to everyone to get points or even to win the race.

Racing IMO is to go faster as you can within the limitations or rules and tools that you have.

For those that say it is not fast enough I think it is a bit early for conclusions as we haven't seen the real potencial of these cars, wouldn't be surprise next year they have nearly the pace of last year, once they have understood and assimilate all new technology, brakes and power units.

turbof1

The race was fun. Not the best race I've seen, but there were a lot of moments that had excitement.

The most promising thing I noticed was that cars could follow each other more closely in the corners.
#AeroFrodo

MOWOG

I am sick of this comments that this new F1 is not racing and not entertainment enough. If you don't like it just quit the sport and find something else to watch sundays.
Similarly, I am sick of small minded people who cannot participate in a debate without resorting to ad hominem attacks. Mine is an OPINION, and as such worthy of precisely the same respect as YOUR opinion.

If the leaders of this forum wish us all to think and believe alike, let then say so. Otherwise, either learn how to engage in a discussion or STFU! :evil:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

beelsebob
beelsebob

MOWOG wrote:
Similarly, I am sick of small minded people who cannot participate in a debate without resorting to ad hominem attacks. Mine is an OPINION, and as such worthy of precisely the same respect as YOUR opinion.

If the leaders of this forum wish us all to think and believe alike, let then say so. Otherwise, either learn how to engage in a discussion or STFU! :evil:
Sorry, I didn't see where he attacked your person. Can you point that out? He did suggest a course of action for people with an opinion like yours, one that stops them enduring the pain of watching something they don't enjoy.

mikeerfol

Redragon

beelsebob wrote:
MOWOG wrote:

Sorry, I didn't see where he attacked your person. Can you point that out? He did suggest a course of action for people with an opinion like yours, one that stops them enduring the pain of watching something they don't enjoy.
I am going to follow the advice of his holiness Dali Lama, I will be compassionate, breath and not answer to a direct insult.

the user
the user

MOWOG wrote:
I think this could make for interesting results/
Do you think Senna or Lauda or Hunt ever considered taking their foot off the loud pedal and coasting for a bit? Were Prost and Senna just cruising around that fateful day in Japan?
That's delusional.. Prost won many races by cruising at the start and saving his tyres and fuel and then attack at the end of the races. That's why he has so many fastest laps. Lauda was the strategic thinker from whom Prost learned to not always push and rather secure valuable points. Actually in Japan '89, Prost himself has said that he wasn't pushing by that stage (I think he said that on 'Legends of F1') and that he was disappointed to retire from that race because he would have easily won it. There was always an element of management in F1. In the olden days it was saving and protecting the engine, the gearbox. Management in F1 isn't a new thing - but the things that have to be managed have changed.

iotar__

Main excitement was Bottas going through the field but it was accident (1 penalty 2 mistake) and DRS, remove DRS and you remove his race. Before clipping the wall he almost hit it twice :o , laps 3-4.
It was start and nothing more for Rosberg, Ricciardo and Magnussen; boring midfield where Alonso got one place back after start problems and Button who jumped using strategy.
Some cars were missing and F1 is in essence boring so it's no big deal but I fail to see this good race.

strad

Well that is kinda the point. #-o
You have people who have followed F1 for 52 years completely losing interest.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

strad wrote:
Well that is kinda the point. #-o
You have people who have followed F1 for 52 years completely losing interest.
You know as well as I do that the fact you're still here means you haven't lost enough interest to abandon F1
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SectorOne

Turns out Vettel and Hamilton had an identical problem. Quite funny actually.

""It looks like it dropped a cylinder for whatever reason, and we need to understand exactly what has caused that - whether that is through electrical or software or whatever," he explained to Autosport."

(Horner)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Coulthard's Jaw
Coulthard's Jaw

turbof1 wrote:The most promising thing I noticed was that cars could follow each other more closely in the corners.
No they couldn't, if anything overtaking was much more difficult than previous years.

turbof1

I really beg to differ on that one. Just look at Bottas for example. There were other dary moves. I believe one made a pass at a corner were I've never seen overtaking.

The cars are much more prone to sliding. The driver in front of you is easier to push into mistakes, allowing to stay closer in the corners.
#AeroFrodo