2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
marvin78
marvin78

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, they show the crowd, even if the situation is not nearly over. I never want to see the crowd...

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

https://amp.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ssion=true

Bottas admitting that the 2 stopper was a mistake and that the 1 stopper was quicker. Can we put the ‘safety car ruined Bottas’ race’ to bed now?

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:42
Restomaniac wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:17
wade_16 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 06:14
Trying to track Vettel's Ferrari history of mistakes.

Has anybody documented each season, race and how the crash/problem occurred.

Be very interesting to see the trend, especially the last two years.
TBH it’s not just the mistakes. It’s his whole demeanour.

Every time I see a meltdown like in Canada it strikes me as somebody who is under extreme pressure who doesn’t seem very happy. The smile seems to have gone and I feel for the bloke.
Nah, I think its just levelling off in his career. All through the redbull years many people were saying he's not as good as his results say. And the last 2 years have proven all those people right.
I see your point but look at him ramming Hamilton in Baku, squealing at the stewards about Verstappen moving under braking previously, the utter meltdown in Canada, throwing a temper tantrum in Germany after crashing out, etc. That’s not just bad driving, that is someone who is losing it!

turbof1

Vettel is a peculiar case. I think he was always prone to mistakes. A little bit ragged on that front. However, he can be extremely fast.

I like that about him. It's good to see a driver who has strong and weaker qualities. It's a good palette.
#AeroFrodo

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Could it just be that Vettel has reached his Villeneuve moment?
"Screw this," he declared. "It's time to get on with the rest of my life."
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zac510
zac510

marvin78 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 11:37
Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, they show the crowd, even if the situation is not nearly over. I never want to see the crowd...
I agree with you... but there are other people in the world and they have different opinions and probably like heart warming stuff like a kid crying when Raikkonen crashes out at turn 1.

The crowd shots with the cars in the background are nice. Perhaps they just need more of that style to reach a compromise.

DutchDopey
DutchDopey

zac510 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 12:09
marvin78 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 11:37
I agree with you... but there are other people in the world and they have different opinions and probably like heart warming stuff like a kid crying when Raikkonen crashes out at turn 1.

The crowd shots with the cars in the background are nice. Perhaps they just need more of that style to reach a compromise.
They can show all the crowd they want before and after the race or during a SC. But when racing, we need to see racing.

zac510
zac510

DutchDopey wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 12:13

They can show all the crowd they want before and after the race or during a SC. But when racing, we need to see racing.
So selfish :D :D

DutchDopey
DutchDopey

zac510 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 12:35
DutchDopey wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 12:13

So selfish :D :D
Haha, they can make a show about F1 crowds if there is an audience for it.

Wynters
Wynters

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 10:29
marvin78 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 09:46
The point is that we had good fights in several races in every season. They all were in the midfield and often not on camera.
That's been my bugbear for many years. We've had people moaning that "there's no racing in F1" and yet the midfield is often quite spicy. The problem is that the TV directors insist on showing the top three driving around doing their own things. They love to cut to shots of cars trundling down the pitlane rather than cars on track racing. On Sunday, during the Bottas / Hamilton tussle, they cut to a shot of the crowd right at the point that the move was being made!

Get the TV direction sorted out, and people will see a lot more action and be much happier.
The midfield racing is great and super close, knife-between-the-teeth stuff. If Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull didn't turn up to the rest of the season, F1 would be nail-biting. Unfortunately, there's so much emphasis on the leaders that the actual show is being ignored (by many fans and media). If the other teams didn't turn up I'm not sure the majority (or the FoM race director) would even notice.

I'm actually disappointed to hear that all the teams will be in this season's netflix series. I thought it was great that the rest of the grid were finally seen outside of the shadow of the big three.

NathanOlder

I get why people were annoyed about the camera cutting to the crowd.

But people are missing the fact that the move was done and dusted, then the camera cut away. 99% of the time, that's fine.

The problem on sunday was as soon as the move was done, Lewis made a mistake and let Bottas back in, Lewis making a mistake never happens so the director had every right to cut away and show the British crowd cheering on the British driver taking the lead of the British grand Prix.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marvin78
marvin78

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 14:15

Lewis making a mistake never happens
That is just wrong. They all do in the heat. Mostly Hamiltons mistakes are not ruining races but he does do mistakes. For example he did several of them in Austria and in Canada.

That's not against Hamilton, but it's just not true that there is a driver without mistakes. They all do it, they all have several of them in every race. Let's not make a god, where is no one. He is a human. A very good racer but a human.

And in that special scene it was very clear to me, that it was not over. Showing the crowd was just bad.

FrukostScones

NathanOlder wrote:
I get why people were annoyed about the camera cutting to the crowd.

But people are missing the fact that the move was done and dusted, then the camera cut away. 99% of the time, that's fine.

The problem on sunday was as soon as the move was done, Lewis made a mistake and let Bottas back in, Lewis making a mistake never happens so the director had every right to cut away and show the British crowd cheering on the British driver taking the lead of the British grand Prix.
haha, good laugh.
FOM TV director is a disgrace and we all know it.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Wynters
Wynters

Just rewatched the last few laps. Bottas came out on Softs with seven laps to go and a gap of +22 seconds to Hamilton. He finished the race nearly 25 seconds behind and barely got closer than +21 seconds throughout his stint.

Jolle
Jolle

marvin78 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 14:44
NathanOlder wrote:

Lewis making a mistake never happens
That is just wrong. They all do in the heat. Mostly Hamiltons mistakes are not ruining races but he does do mistakes. For example he did several of them in Austria and in Canada.

That's not against Hamilton, but it's just not true that there is a driver without mistakes. They all do it, they all have several of them in every race. Let's not make a god, where is no one. He is a human. A very good racer but a human.

And in that special scene it was very clear to me, that it was not over. Showing the crowd was just bad.
let's put in other words: Hamilton has reached a level of perfection never seen before in F1. At the moment he's the most complete driver in the history of the sport. The car control of Clark and Senna, the endurance of Schumacher, the economical driving of Prost, the persistence of Mansell and Villeneuve combined with he reliability of Hamilton.