Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Silly season 2016

henra wrote:
ME4ME wrote: I think Ricciardo might fancy Rosbergs seat, and Toto just might like that idea as well :)
I'm just not sure Lewis would like that idea too much. :mrgreen:
I think Lewis would believe he could still win and Ric is a much calmer presence it seems.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

ScottB
ScottB

PlatinumZealot wrote:It would be too easy for Lewis if you do that now haha. Verstappen is not the fastest qualifier and he would have a tough time with the mercedes pitstop strategy.
I would see it as if they wanted him, this would be the time. His STR deal is up at the end of this year, and I'll wager by 2017 he'll either be in a Red Bull, a Ferrari or a Mercedes. He wouldn't be the finished article, but a season or two alongside Hamilton before he retires would be an excellent idea, leaving him to potentially lead the team afterwards.

I'd think it'll either be Rosberg or him though. Don't see why they'd go for Bottas or somebody of that ilk, hasn't shown enough to suggest he wouldn't be steamrollered by Hamilton.

djos wrote:
FrukostScones wrote: but ROS in a 2017 RB could wreak havoc though :mrgreen:
Won't happen, Webber was the last non-redbull junior driver to drive for the team and the junior ranks are now so chock full of talent there's no way they need Britney in their team causing trouble!
I hope this doesn't become a repeat of the Kimi to RBR saga :D

I agree, they've got Verstappen and Sainz who will both be pushing for a top line drive, promoting either further validates their young driver program, would be, I would imagine, a lot cheaper than Rosberg and probably fit in better with their target market.

For what it's worth I'm not sure they'll be able to keep Max, but Sainz has shown enough to suggest he'd be promoted, arguably more than Kyvat had shown before he got the seat.

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:It would be too easy for Lewis if you do that now haha. Verstappen is not the fastest qualifier and he would have a tough time with the mercedes pitstop strategy.
Not yet anyways, the guy is just 18 and a rookie, he might come into his own in this department too.
Rookie Nico couldn't hang with Webber in qualy, and that's with a lot more experience in single seaters and a F1 testing role.

As for Nico's current situation he needs to either win or be quiet...
Get a couple of wins and start floating Ferrari rumours and this contract will appear on his desk.

djos

adrianjordan wrote:
henra wrote:
ME4ME wrote: I think Ricciardo might fancy Rosbergs seat, and Toto just might like that idea as well :)
I'm just not sure Lewis would like that idea too much. :mrgreen:
I think Lewis would believe he could still win and Ric is a much calmer presence it seems.
Ricciardo isn't going to throw tantrums if things don't go his way, it's not how Aussie sportsman behave.
"In downforce we trust"

ME4ME

ScottB wrote:I agree, they've got Verstappen and Sainz who will both be pushing for a top line drive, promoting either further validates their young driver program, would be, I would imagine, a lot cheaper than Rosberg and probably fit in better with their target market.

For what it's worth I'm not sure they'll be able to keep Max, but Sainz has shown enough to suggest he'd be promoted, arguably more than Kyvat had shown before he got the seat.
Verstappen is said to be on a 2+1 contract. Surely Red Bull would want to let him gain further experience at Toro Rosso in 2016 and then make a decision around august if he is any better than either of their current drivers.

If he does get promoted, then I'd imagine Kvyat will lose his seat and be on the market for 2017. But with Mercedes unsure about Rosberg, and Ricciardo keeping his eyes open, Verstappen might even replace Danny Ric.

With that said, we cannot forget about Sainz, he can still turn it around with better reliability.

djos

ME4ME wrote: Verstappen is said to be on a 2+1 contract. Surely Red Bull would want to let him gain further experience at Toro Rosso in 2016 and then make a decision around august if he is any better than either of their current drivers.

If he does get promoted, then I'd imagine Kvyat will lose his seat and be on the market for 2017. But with Mercedes unsure about Rosberg, and Ricciardo keeping his eyes open, Verstappen might even replace Danny Ric.

With that said, we cannot forget about Sainz, he can still turn it around with better reliability.
RedBull aren't going to let a proven multiple Race Winner and Team Player like Ricciardo go, if any of the RBR drivers were going to be released from contract it would be Kvyat. DK has done a decent job but DR has been mostly exceptional and only lost out to DK on WDC points because he "took one for the team" to test the new Renault PU (not to mention he had more PU driven grid penalties in general*).

*Ricciardo: 80 (Austria: 10, Italy: 50, Brazil: 20)
Kvyat: 40 (Austria: 10, Italy: 30)

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3337 ... ty-charts/
"In downforce we trust"

Racer X

Has Renault said anything about the Dirvers'?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

stefan_
stefan_

Yes, as far as I know they confirmed Palmer and Maldonado for 2016. God help us with the 2nd one still being on the grid.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

aral
aral

stefan_ wrote:Yes, as far as I know they confirmed Palmer and Maldonado for 2016. God help us with the 2nd one still being on the grid.
Pa;mer has not as yet been confirmed. As regards Maldonado...why the comment? He has won a GP, something that a lot of other current drivers have not done. Maldo is fast, and many of his accidents have been caused by others. Maybe a little overenthusiastic at times, but dont we want someone who at least makes an effort at passes etc.?

PlatinumZealot

They were confirmed unofficially in an interview with one of the Renault big wigs.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

gilgen wrote:As regards Maldonado...why the comment?
He's a waste of an F1 seat, if you take $$$$$$$ out of the equation.

Racer X

So he just happens to be in most crashes is what your saying people happen to have crashes around him'? STEFAN What about when he crashes on his own'? (Who do you blame then) the track being out of place'?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

PlatinumZealot

Why did my previous post get down-voted so much??

It was credible information! I kid you not.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3341 ... do-palmer/
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

FrukostScones

BanMeToo wrote:
gilgen wrote:As regards Maldonado...why the comment?
He's a waste of an F1 seat, if you take $$$$$$$ out of the equation.
tell that Frank's hall of fame
Last edited by FrukostScones on 31 Dec 2015, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

ALO to Renault rumors:

http://motor.as.com/motor/2015/12/30/fo ... 26546.html

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

I call it BS

but let be MAL ALO be in the making and then ALO BUE...

shock horror

but I guess ALO is better off now at McLaren with new loosened PU 2016 regs and Honda working hard,
as Renault PU is junk and will continue to be junk and also McLaren chassis wayy better than this 2016 Renault integration compromise.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.