Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
toraabe
toraabe

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

jure wrote:
gandharva wrote:http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 18779.html

- better reliability
- better driveability
- +35bhp (Canada spec)
- 0.6s improvement per lap (similar like Ferrari did in 2015)
I just don't understand why are they saying the performance gain was modest. Speed traps were good, Ricciardo said engine has more power, Marko praised engine progress,... Maybe it's gain relative to the others?
Don't forget that when the drivability is perfect you always know the power deliverance,. Then you don't have to compromise and you trust your PU. Top speed isn't all but acceleration in between.

carisi2k

Everybody is going on about Mercedes sandbagging which maybe true and it still looks like they are at the top of the pecking order, closely followed by the Ferrari.

I believe however that Red Bull are sandbagging in regards to how fast they are compared to Williams, Force India and Torro Rosso. I think the Renault/ Tag Heuer engine has improved enough in power and especially drivability, that I expect the Red Bull RB12's to drive away from Williams and Force India at most circuits.

The RB11 at the end of last year was clearly the most competitive chassis of these 3 and all of the 2016 cars are evolutions of these chassis. To me the RB12 is a significantly better chassis then the other 2 and with the improvement in the engine. I would be looking at the RB12's filling out the 3rd row of the grid and maybe slipping into the 2nd from time to time. It does not look like they will be lacking 100hp in 2016.

GPR-A duplicate2

HORNER: RENAULT JUMP SHOULD BE AS BIG AS FERRARI LAST YEAR
Auto Motor und Sport claims Renault’s step forward since the end of last year has been modest, but a 35 horse power step for Canada is now scheduled.

“The jump should be as big as the one made last year by Ferrari,” declared Red Bull team boss Christian Horner.
I just desperately hope this is true and we get to see Red Bull mixing with the top 2 . [-o<

Webber2011
Webber2011

GPR-A wrote:HORNER: RENAULT JUMP SHOULD BE AS BIG AS FERRARI LAST YEAR
Auto Motor und Sport claims Renault’s step forward since the end of last year has been modest, but a 35 horse power step for Canada is now scheduled.

“The jump should be as big as the one made last year by Ferrari,” declared Red Bull team boss Christian Horner.
I just desperately hope this is true and we get to see Red Bull mixing with the top 2 . [-o<
So do I mate...............so do I !

toraabe
toraabe

Webber2011 wrote:

Remember that you earn more with excellent drivability that pure top end power. This is where Renault ha gained most since last year. Mostly down to reprogramming the use of the MGU-H and the pre spin as is heard on all the Renault cars leaving and entering pits

dren

Long overdue if that's the case. It should put Red Bull and even Renault in a much improved position.
Honda!

Juzh

toraabe wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:

Remember that you earn more with excellent drivability that pure top end power. This is where Renault ha gained most since last year. Mostly down to reprogramming the use of the MGU-H and the pre spin as is heard on all the Renault cars leaving and entering pits
Implying renault has better driveability than other PUs? I ain't saying it's worse, but absolutely nothing points to it being better, and we know for a fact it was horrible a year ago. I don't believe they hold any kind of advantage in that area.
I also say top end power is pretty important, especially when you're in lack of it.

Pre-spin? As in mgu-h motor mode? Been around since 2014, what's so special here?

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

Nobody's saying thier PU is bettah drivish than the others , it just said comparated to their 2015 PU!

PlatinumZealot

Sainz thinks the 2015 ferrari engine software is much user friendly than the renault. Less inputs to get something done i think he said. Another weakpoint that Renault need to fix before tgeir engine is fully "driveable" and "transparent"
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

gandharva

Carlos only has the 2015 Renault PU as comparison. Really everyone is praising the new one so far...

Pany
Pany

carisi2k wrote:Everybody is going on about Mercedes sandbagging which maybe true and it still looks like they are at the top of the pecking order, closely followed by the Ferrari.

I believe however that Red Bull are sandbagging in regards to how fast they are compared to Williams, Force India and Torro Rosso. I think the Renault/ Tag Heuer engine has improved enough in power and especially drivability, that I expect the Red Bull RB12's to drive away from Williams and Force India at most circuits.

The RB11 at the end of last year was clearly the most competitive chassis of these 3 and all of the 2016 cars are evolutions of these chassis. To me the RB12 is a significantly better chassis then the other 2 and with the improvement in the engine. I would be looking at the RB12's filling out the 3rd row of the grid and maybe slipping into the 2nd from time to time. It does not look like they will be lacking 100hp in 2016.
I totally agree with u! In my opinion Red-bull will settle in 4° position surely during first 5-6 races. From Europe and on Williams will be overtaken and at end of season Ferrari is the target.

toraabe
toraabe

Pany wrote:
carisi2k wrote:Everybody is going on about Mercedes sandbagging which maybe true and it still looks like they are at the top of the pecking order, closely followed by the Ferrari.

I totally agree with u! In my opinion Red-bull will settle in 4° position surely during first 5-6 races. From Europe and on Williams will be overtaken and at end of season Ferrari is the target.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 29822.html

Remember that better drivability makes it more easy to throttle up in corners without having sudden boost changes and uneven power deliverance as was the case last year. Last year they battled with issues around 9000 rpm where is typical " out of corner" rpm. Since this is solved they are definitely quicker out of the corner. When you are looking at the top speed, Renault has made their homework and Alex Wendorff who came from Mercedes certainly knows how to make their PU on pair with at least Ferrari ,...

jure
jure

@ReoPTy
Do you have any data from your sources about how much power did Renault finally gain and at what rpm (just so we get a feeling what kind of upgrade this was). And I would also be very interested in where do they stand in comparison to Mercedes/Ferrari? Is Renault also developing the so called hcci engine (like Ferrari supposedly is)? Just tells us whatever you can, I'm really very curious :mrgreen:

dot235
dot235

toraabe wrote:
Pany wrote:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 29822.html

Remember that better drivability makes it more easy to throttle up in corners without having sudden boost changes and uneven power deliverance as was the case last year. Last year they battled with issues around 9000 rpm where is typical " out of corner" rpm. Since this is solved they are definitely quicker out of the corner. When you are looking at the top speed, Renault has made their homework and Alex Wendorff who came from Mercedes certainly knows how to make their PU on pair with at least Ferrari ,...
You mean "at least" Ferrari 2015 EPU?

I think 2016 Ferrari EPU is much closer to Merc EPU than it is to Renault.

lio007

sounds positive
Abiteboul says that consultant Mario Illien is having an impact: "He's constantly in the loop, but not just Mario, Ilmor is giving us the ability to test even more solutions than we would without them."
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... ul-678141/