Stripped F1 Gearbox

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Stripped F1 Gearbox

Caito wrote:zeroshift has a torque spike if I remember right. Hence, it wouldn't be logical to call it seamless shift.
Well the plot, as shown on their web page, looks very smooth with only small bumps. I would say it is as close as you can get to seamless with cog style gear set.

Brian

Caito
Caito

I totally agree. My point was that it's not as seamless as a double clutch or cvt can be.

Their is a transitory between gearshifts, but at least torque does not go to 0.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

jenkF1

Ultimately CVT would be true seamless - with constant engine revs.

Unsure why the roadcar world haven't followed this, believe its in the Prius? Suppose a linear delivery of low engine power ain't worth the investment. Still surely a belt is cheaper than a gearbox :)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

jenkF1 wrote:Ultimately CVT would be true seamless - with constant engine revs.

Unsure why the roadcar world haven't followed this, believe its in the Prius? Suppose a linear delivery of low engine power ain't worth the investment. Still surely a belt is cheaper than a gearbox :)
Because the normal mechanical gearbox is effectively "fit and forget". It's simple, robust, reasonably fool proof and the only moving parts are easy to make reliable. CVTs require control systems to effect the 'change'. There is probably more bits that are likely to break in a CVT. Manual boxes are, in normal use, bomb-proof.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Caito
Caito

CVT failed in car because people didn't like them. How they are, how they sound.

A CVT can in fact be quite simpler than an automatic gearbox with all its hydraulic system
Come back 747, we miss you!!

strad

likely to break in a CVT
The chain is the weak point...
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Or how about the IGS from Xtrac which also has two gears engaged at the same time (something that is impossible, apparently):
“The IGS is as fast as it can be, given that for a nanometrical split of time both gears are engaged,” said another judge, Alvaro Sauras technical editor CAR & Tecno magazine. “To tune the mechanics of the gearbox to make it able to work with two gears inserted at the same time, without blowing up, must be extremely difficult!”
http://www.xtrac.com/latestnews.htm#Adam
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

lz2lps
lz2lps

autogyro
autogyro

Caito wrote:CVT failed in car because people didn't like them. How they are, how they sound.

A CVT can in fact be quite simpler than an automatic gearbox with all its hydraulic system
CVT transmissions whether Van Doorne cone,toloroidal disk or the three way torque balancing act in the Prius, all suffer from needing to use high levels of energy to operate the control systems. This makes them inefficient.
Most CVT systems can only achieve around a 1:1 to 1:4 ratio range and need extra gearing anyway.
I see the Xtrac boys are now in on the seamless act.
Their gearboxes still have power spikes like any other layshaft gearbox.
They might be very fast but they are not seamless.
Last edited by autogyro on 21 Feb 2012, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

autogyro
autogyro

I suggest readers take a look at the Catterham thread in F1 cars.
There is a brilliant video on there posted by Catterhamrules.
Well worth a watch.
I am banned from posting on there but then I was only a consultant for the real Lotus F1 team not todays copy.

One thing is absolutely certain, the gearbox in this car is NOT seamless.
Try using your ears to confirm this fact!
I am confident that the speed of gearshifts shown from the F1 cars of today can also be equaled with a manualy operated dog box but then I have driven such boxes and not just played on computer games and talked about torque spikes!

pitlaneimmigrant
pitlaneimmigrant

I am confident that the speed of gearshifts shown from the F1 cars of today can also be equaled with a manualy operated dog box
Laugh? I nearly cried.

Depending on how you define the gearshift (time to move the dog rings, or request-to-completion) an F1 gearshift take 50-150ms (on average), let´s see you match that.
And in an overlapped upshift the gearshift is effectively instant, the target gear takes drive off the current gear which then extracts before it gets collected by the overrun dogs. THAT is not humanly possible

The torque spike that would occur is managed either by an engine torque reduction or by slipping the clutch for a few milliseconds.

Also, (to other posters) don´t confuse F1 seamless shifting with dual clutch systems (aka DSC)
F1 boxes do alternate gears on different barrels and will momentarily have two gears in an engaged position (but only with drive on one, otherwise it gets messy), dual clutch systems also alternate gears, and have two gears in the engaged position but switch the torque transfer path by opening/closing clutches making the timing much easier.
As mentioned earlier in the thread this system was in use in F1 for a couple of seasons before the current generation of gearboxes came around

ppj13
ppj13

Upshifts:

Zero shift engages two gears at a time. It is possible without gbox grenading if dogs cluthes are not infinitely rigid (nothing is). Both are engaged a short period of time. During this short time (less than 10ms) torque transmitted ramps from one to the other.

This mechanism equals instant(read, really fast) traditional dog clutch travel.

With former system (and almost with latter) seamless torque transmission is possible. The problem is that torque has a great spike, when engine speed is forced down in very short time. If all components are designed to stand that spike, (and they could do this) they will be many times (3 at least) too big for the rest of the time, a lot of wasted weight.

The optimum is to reduce this spike. During upshift, torque is sum of engine torque plus inertia torque. Easiest way to reduce the spike is reduce or eliminate engine torque (ignition cut) and "absorb" inertia torque with flexible components (like springs absorb bumps). That's why racing boxes are so flexible, (common trick is to stack two hollow shafts internally to "simulate" double lenght of the shaft) and that's why revs go (something easy to hear) up and down inmediatelly after upshift or sudden throttle input step.

In traditional boxes, ignition is cut inmediately BEFORE shift so dog is overrun and free to move, so driver or actuator doesn't need huge force to disengage. Then driver or ecu moves the dog so it select next gear and shift is made and then ignition comes back gradually. Shifter serves two purposes, both equally important: reduce actuator effort and torque spike. With zero shift, by design, the former is not needed, the latter is still needed.

So, to sum up. Seamless shift is possible, but not fast.

Edit: Seamless as per "no acceleration hole". Acceleration step will be inevitable.

autogyro
autogyro

pitlaneimmigrant wrote:
autgyro wrote:I am confident that the speed of gearshifts shown from the F1 cars of today can also be equaled with a manualy operated dog box
Laugh? I nearly cried.
I suggest you learn how gearboxes work, it will give you little time for mirth.
Depending on how you define the gearshift (time to move the dog rings, or request-to-completion) an F1 gearshift take 50-150ms (on average), let´s see you match that.
No problem
And in an overlapped upshift the gearshift is effectively instant, the target gear takes drive off the current gear which then extracts before it gets collected by the overrun dogs. THAT is not humanly possible
If it is instant why do you quote the following?

The torque spike that would occur is managed either by an engine torque reduction or by slipping the clutch for a few milliseconds.
Also, (to other posters) don´t confuse F1 seamless shifting with dual clutch systems (aka DSC)
F1 boxes do alternate gears on different barrels and will momentarily have two gears in an engaged position (but only with drive on one, otherwise it gets messy), dual clutch systems also alternate gears, and have two gears in the engaged position but switch the torque transfer path by opening/closing clutches making the timing much easier.
It is you who is confusing other posters.

Neither types have two gears FULLY engaged, they both use shift components that use a range of 'partial' engagement. They have to, the shift components are not strong enough to transfer full prime mover torque when their geometry is changing through the shift overlap.
As mentioned earlier in the thread this system was in use in F1 for a couple of seasons before the current generation of gearboxes came around.
The first semi/ auto shift gearbox in F1 was in Mansels Ferrari.
I was a consultant on the project.

Richard
Richard

autogyro - how quickly can a human physically move a shift stick between gears on a manual box? Assuming the clutch isn't used.

bhall
bhall

autogyro wrote:I am confident that the speed of gearshifts shown from the F1 cars of today can also be equaled with a manualy operated dog box [...]
And I'm confident that one day I'll be King of Zamunda.