Silly Season 2012/2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Silly Season 2012/2013

ESPImperium wrote:....

Id think that Ferrari will look at keeping Massa or a replacement with Perez or Sutil, Perez wants one more year at Sauber before moving so id recon Sutil or Massa.

Id recon that Hamilton will now stay at McLaren as i doubt he will move to Mercedes as Schumacher will probably stay on for one more year at least.

I certainly hope that Massa isn't extended for another season, the past few ones have been excruciating and have lost Ferrari decent finishes in the CC and have not helped Alonso fend off rivals at the sharp end of the grid. At this point I'd even gladly accept Sutil.

As for McLaren, I've read something about possible Lotus talks. This stikes me as out of the blue! But it would be interesting to see him go out of the McLaren egg shell.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

MSC is likely to continue.

raymondu999

mx_tifoso wrote:As for McLaren, I've read something about possible Lotus talks. This stikes me as out of the blue! But it would be interesting to see him go out of the McLaren egg shell.
I cannot see Lotus doing Hamilton-Raikkonen. Perhaps Hamilton-Grosjean? Perhaps A Hamilton-Raikkonen straight swap? Though I cannot fathom why they'd do that.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FrukostScones

raymondu999 wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:As for McLaren, I've read something about possible Lotus talks. This stikes me as out of the blue! But it would be interesting to see him go out of the McLaren egg shell.
I cannot see Lotus doing Hamilton-Raikkonen. Perhaps Hamilton-Grosjean? Perhaps A Hamilton-Raikkonen straight swap? Though I cannot fathom why they'd do that.
As Lotus I would give Grosjean to McLaren where he would team up with Kovalainen (Button is send as No2 to Ferrari). Then I would get Rockstar Energy as main sponsor with HAM and RAI as the ultimate endorsers of cool. :wink:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

At the momenty i can't see Lotus changing either of their drivers. Kimi has been solid, quite fast and has brought the car home. Grosjean has a lot of potential and it would be stupid to let him slip away.

N12ck

Schumacher to Ferrari maybe?
Budding F1 Engineer

marcush.
marcush.

Schumacher has been quoted as not being satisfied and still hungry in his second formula 1 career...so basically i don´t understand why he cannot sign now ....would he switch to Ferrari --------?
Would he want more control ? i doubt he´s in for money.Or woulds he want a two or three year contract where mercedes wants just 1 year ?

tathan
tathan

marcush. wrote:Schumacher has been quoted as not being satisfied and still hungry in his second formula 1 career...so basically i don´t understand why he cannot sign now ....would he switch to Ferrari --------?
Would he want more control ? i doubt he´s in for money.Or woulds he want a two or three year contract where mercedes wants just 1 year ?
Well Haug has said he definitely wants him for next year and if Schumacher wants to continue I guess the only decision is whether he wants to do this continuing at Merc. Would be nice to see him in a Ferrari again and he would be a good 1 year replacement for Massa until someone like Perez is ready, but I doubt he'd willingly take on a #2 slot, as the Bishop said to the actress. And moving teams in your last year is not wise anyway, as Webber figured out, because you don't have any time to learn new team/car/people, before you know it you've underperformed and now you're retired.

So I reckons:

Schumacher stays at Merc with Rosberg

Hamilton will stay at Mclaren after Ron hammers his salary down as his bargaining position has essentially collapsed, with Button.

RBR are sorted

Kimi is on a 2 year contract iirc? (I would laugh if he got paid to sit ANOTHER year out though!) and Grosjean is future star material so Renault would be daft to let him go

Alonso ain't moving so Massa is the only question out of the top teams. Can see with his improved form him getting another year until a convincing replacement is ready. That's why they wanted Webber I would think, a 1 year swansong for him until they had someone young ready.

Tbh I think this has come about because in the last 2-4 years no amazing rookies have arrived. The ones of that 'vintage' aren't good enough for top teams and the newer crop aren't ready, so it's "as you were" until 2014 except for some limited lower tier shuffling, depending on who's got big sponsors.

raymondu999

Grosjean has a 2013 Enstone contract – Kimi and Enstone have a 2013 option based on requirements from both ends. At least that’s how I understand the current situation
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

mx_tifoso wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:....

Id think that Ferrari will look at keeping Massa or a replacement with Perez or Sutil, Perez wants one more year at Sauber before moving so id recon Sutil or Massa.

Id recon that Hamilton will now stay at McLaren as i doubt he will move to Mercedes as Schumacher will probably stay on for one more year at least.

I certainly hope that Massa isn't extended for another season, the past few ones have been excruciating and have lost Ferrari decent finishes in the CC and have not helped Alonso fend off rivals at the sharp end of the grid. At this point I'd even gladly accept Sutil.

As for McLaren, I've read something about possible Lotus talks. This stikes me as out of the blue! But it would be interesting to see him go out of the McLaren egg shell.
I think Massa is on for being retained, however its almost 50/50 on probabilities. He has just had a decent P4 at Silverstone and is improving to closer the standard he was at in 2009 pre Hungary. Ferrari may be risk averse, but i think they could take a risk for 2013 as rumor has it they may be willing to take a risk. The risk ive heard is that they are looking at Perez and Di Resta. Perez wants another season at Sauber, that is well documented. Di Resta on the other hand is now split away from Anthony Hamilton, and is looking for a new management team and is thinking it may be time to move to the sharp end of things, he is in pole posistion for MSCs seat, however i recon that MSC will stay for one more year at Mercedes, as MSC will make a decision in October even tho Brawn wants a decision for the end of the summer break in August. Ferrari may want Di Resta as he is someone who brings the car home, safely and plugs away results that would make Ferraris Constructors total better in the long run.

Either way, there is not alot of space on the grid for the ammount of F1 quality drivers arround. The sharp end is close to locked in for 2013, only Hamilton, Schumacher, Massa and Grosjean to be confirmed, whitch of that Massa is the only one i think can go either way.

Mid pack, it is now looking as if Williams will be taking Bottas, however it may be difficult if Senna plugs away getting as many points as he can whilst Maldanado goes from one stewards meeting to another and if Senna gets a weekend where he does well and scores a hat full of points or more if Maldanado is forced to sit a GP out. I think this is probable before the end of the season. If Senna outscores Maldanado he has a good cause for retention as he has had strong consistant results this year, as this year Senna has a better posistion placing than Maldanado by one place, however the anomoly is Spain where Maldanado had a P1 and Senna had a P23, giving them their average for that race, Senna outscores Maldanado by on average 3 places every race. Senna has scored points on 5 times to Maldanados 2.

Force India are looking at confirming Bianchi, Sauber i think will keep Kimui and Perez, Toro Rosso may be the only place where a seat may be avalable, however id expect Vergne and Riccardo to stay for one more year.

As for the lower down teams, Caterham will stay with the status quo, as Heikki i think will sign a new 3 year deal with them, and they will keep Petrov. However Petrov may be a casualty if Van Der Garde, Razia or Valchecchi get the €20m to replace him, Van Der Garde can with his money from MacGreggor and a couple other dutch companies, Valchecchi may not be able to raise the finance, Razia is seeminglty getting a package of sponsors from Brazil together that can give him €20m a season if needed. However i rate Petrov over all of those drivers.

Marussia i think will keep Pic to partner Glock as his parents can afford the reported €25m a season for him as they make an anual profit of €650m+ with their haulahge firm in France, and to be honest ive been impressed with Pic this season, learning under the radar, and learning to a good standard. HRT have PdlR for next year, and they also have a new car and posible engine and KERS deal on the way, however they will have a new #2 driver in Dani Clos, who can bring money to the team, however id expect him to get his GP debut at Abu Dhabi this year as Karthekeyn has money up to India. However this may be the only realistic seat for any new blood ion F1, or any returning blood.

Sadly i think that Sutil should look towards a single year with Ferrari, and if he cant get that, he should look at a deal in LMP1 with Toyota in their 3rd car next year, or a independant LMP1 team. Alguersauri i think should look at a simmilar route, whilst keeping the Pirelli testing going.

I think there will be one or two new drivers next year, but a status quo is what i think we are looking at.

This breed of GP2 drivers may be looking at being the next breed of Pantano, GP2 champions without a F1 drive the next season.

Whitch leads me to one point, is this the best quality grid line up in F1 history? Are the drivers of such quality now that even the best of the next step down arnt quite the quality that F1 is looking for. Or does money talk and bullshit just walk now?

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

ESPImperium wrote:I think Massa is on for being retained, however its almost 50/50 on probabilities. He has just had a decent P4 at Silverstone and is improving to closer the standard he was at in 2009 pre Hungary.
I can't believe that they would keep Massa for another year. He's been mostly awful for the last 2,5 years, and in all that one decent result in Silverstone doesn't really make a difference, does it? Ferrari definitely need fresh blood in the team. Felipe's been there for way too long. But isn't di Resta connected to Mercedes? Could he even go to Ferrari?
Mid pack, it is now looking as if Williams will be taking Bottas, however it may be difficult if Senna plugs away getting as many points as he can whilst Maldanado goes from one stewards meeting to another and if Senna gets a weekend where he does well and scores a hat full of points or more if Maldanado is forced to sit a GP out. I think this is probable before the end of the season. If Senna outscores Maldanado he has a good cause for retention as he has had strong consistant results this year, as this year Senna has a better posistion placing than Maldanado by one place, however the anomoly is Spain where Maldanado had a P1 and Senna had a P23, giving them their average for that race, Senna outscores Maldanado by on average 3 places every race. Senna has scored points on 5 times to Maldanados 2.
Senna is just too slow. With the car that Williams have this year, they should be challenging Mercedes in the WCC. Crashtor has thrown a lot of points away with his mistakes, but atleast he's got potential, Senna doesn't. The only reason to keep Bruno is his money. I fully expect Bottas to be there with Maldonado come next year.
Toro Rosso may be the only place where a seat may be avalable, however id expect Vergne and Riccardo to stay for one more year.
Toro Rosso have a tradition of keeping their drivers for a couple of seasons. And i haven't heard of any new Red Bull juniors excelling in the lower classes. Vergne and Ricciardo were both hailed as the new Vettels but so far i'm not convinced.
As for the lower down teams, Caterham will stay with the status quo, as Heikki i think will sign a new 3 year deal with them, and they will keep Petrov.
I'm not quite sure about that. Heikki has been very unhappy with Caterhams performance lately, and has made it quite clear that unless things change rather quickly he might be gone. Maybe a one year deal, but three years seem unlikely given his recent comments.
Marussia i think will keep Pic to partner Glock as his parents can afford the reported €25m a season for him as they make an anual profit of €650m+ with their haulahge firm in France, and to be honest ive been impressed with Pic this season, learning under the radar, and learning to a good standard.
If Pic is really bringing that much money then it's a no brainer for Marussia. His performances have been good enough for a rookie in a backmarker team, and ofcourse he's learning all the time.

zyphro
zyphro

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101144

Almost as if it's uni-lateral. I expect MSC to stay, this is his best season since his comeback - why quit? He's also said he isn't satisfied with what he has achieved thus far (no surprise), but it is a sign that he still has the hunger, desire and determination to succeed once again.

zyphro
zyphro

N12ck wrote:Schumacher to Ferrari maybe?
As much as I'd like to see that happen, he isn't a quitter. He'll be staying with Mercedes methinks.

CHT
CHT

Do you guys think Hamilton will sign a new contract with Mclaren?

beelsebob
beelsebob

CHT wrote:Do you guys think Hamilton will sign a new contract with Mclaren?
From the noises both camps are making, and the lack of seats in any other top team, I think we're likely to see Hamilton sign a 5 year McLaren deal.