2012 German GP - Hockenheim

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gridlock

Re: 2012 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

Off the back of my £20 into £280 Webber/GB win =D> I'm going for a long shot here and putting this week's £20 on Kimi to place. Might have a cheeky wager on Rosberg for pole too.

Halfway point! Can't believe it.

ced381

I surely hope Vettel wins it this time. I think every top driver should win his home GP at least once.

And for my own personal knowledge, is it Prost that holds the current record for the most wins at his home GP? 1981, 1983, 1988, 1989, 1990 & 1993
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

MikeFromCanada

ced381 wrote:I surely hope Vettel wins it this time. I think every top driver should win his home GP at least once.

And for my own personal knowledge, is it Prost that holds the current record for the most wins at his home GP? 1981, 1983, 1988, 1989, 1990 & 1993
I believe you are correct. I know Schumacher has won on German soil 8 or 9 times, but half of those were listed as European Grand Prixs at Nurburgring.

zyphro
zyphro

Gridlock wrote:Off the back of my £20 into £280 Webber/GB win =D> I'm going for a long shot here and putting this week's £20 on Kimi to place. Might have a cheeky wager on Rosberg for pole too.

Halfway point! Can't believe it.
Well done :mrgreen: .

zyphro
zyphro

Hangaku wrote:
Ridiculous you say? Yeah, and so are all the other predictions for all the races. This year car performance is so fragile that there is no way of even getting close to predicting anything. You might as well turn every race thread into a place where fans and haters can all post their wishlist, without considering any technical merits whatsoever.
This- anything can happen. If the conditions suit a certain car, it'll come alive during the race.

f1316
f1316

Schumacher's won the German GP 4 times - 1995, 2002, 2004, 2006 - so I think he still tops that one. **edit: what am I talking about? Ignore!** One more maybe? Don't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Merc on the podium.

I actually think we are beginning to see the season settle down, without random things happening. Red Bull seem to have got their exhaust solution to work, which makes them strong, and Ferrari are in a similar position as the past few years - strong, but not quite there. McLaren look to be a bit too hard on their tyres, but will possibly improve this weekend with big upgrade package, so we could actually be looking at the same three teams fighting it out as usual, albeit with Lotus and Merc much closer than in recent years.

These new hard tyres will be interesting though. Only being tested this weekend, but will be interesting if they do have a wider operating window, as is said by Pirelli. If that's the case it might remove some of the tyre problems that have caused some of the unexpected results.

godlameroso

I have a feeling that whoever can manage the degradation the best will win this race. It's very simple, the stadium sector punishes the tires like no other, especially the rears, this is because of the banking inherent in that section of the track. The squarer profile of the Pirellis will demand a car with a very good front end to avoid destroying the rears especially under power. In fact there are only 3 3/4 heavy braking phases on this track, the rest of the time is spent under relatively little breaking and essentially powering out of corners.

If it's hot the usual characters will be at the front.

As an aside I would like to mention that perhaps as the summer months wane, and the temperatures begin to drop we could see a Mercedes resurgence as the climate plays into the strengths of the car.
Saishū kōnā

marcush.
marcush.

I don´t see an chance for HOT weather this weekend .It´s not hat bad here but no sign of a real soaeing heatwave.
Mercedes time.

zyphro
zyphro

marcush. wrote:I don´t see an chance for HOT weather this weekend .It´s not hat bad here but no sign of a real soaeing heatwave.
Mercedes time.
Certainly hope so :mrgreen: .

FrukostScones

my weatherforecast says sunny/someclouds and dry 24/25 C over the weekend.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Hail22

FrukostScones wrote:my weatherforecast says sunny/someclouds and dry 24/25 C over the weekend.

Looks like Mercedes, Mclaren, Ferrari and Lotus weather?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

beelsebob
beelsebob

Hail22 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:my weatherforecast says sunny/someclouds and dry 24/25 C over the weekend.

Certainly not Lotus – lotus love the hot.

Hail22

beelsebob wrote:
Hail22 wrote:

You're right:

Bahrain, Monaco, Valencia...etc
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

FrukostScones

beelsebob wrote:
Hail22 wrote:

Where are the Mythbusters when you need them? Lotus is and was everywhere and under all temps fast.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Chuckjr

You got that right vato. Go Lotus and Ferrari.
Watching F1 since 1986.