Khamsin Virtual Racecar challenge 2013 (CFD model racing)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
AlpineF1
AlpineF1

Re: F1 model CFD Challenge (Khamsin Virtual Racecar challeng

Hi mate do you supply the rims with the wheels? its just im deleting the suspension and i need to know if i should delete the rims.
Thanks Cameron :D
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

N12ck

@astracrazy Julien is working on a document to give all this information for general use

@Alpinef1 yes, we have a suspension system and wheels at the moment but is not for general release yet (we will add to your model afterwards), however will soon make a simpler suspension system and send in the updated welcome pack with updated 2013 rules,
Budding F1 Engineer

PNSD
PNSD

Possibly been answered, but what software are you planning to use for grid generation, and likewise for solving?

And what experience of running CFD do you have? Sounds like an interesting concept.

N12ck

PNSD wrote:Possibly been answered, but what software are you planning to use for grid generation, and likewise for solving?

And what experience of running CFD do you have? Sounds like an interesting concept.
Hi, the CFD side isnt my side- although I am learning CFD through this, you will need to speak to Julien De Charentenay, he is very experienced: http://au.linkedin.com/in/juliendecharentenay

if you drop him an email he will be able to give more details, he developed his own CFD software Khamsin, I deal with the rules side, modelling and meshing side,

basically there are 3 people involved with this, 2 which are part of the comittee, one who has assisted and has provided extra software,

Me and
Julien De Charentenay: PhD qualification and has many years experience in the CFD industry and owns Hibou Scientific Software also has developed Khamsin CFD package, the CFD we use

Assistance:
Richard Machin: a chartered Mechanical Engineer with many years experience in motorsport and has developed a laptime generator for car tuning and development
Last edited by N12ck on 01 Oct 2012, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Budding F1 Engineer

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

Just got my welcome pack, thanks so if everything fits inside the tub and it matches the cooling regs and the thickness rule im ready to go?
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

N12ck

AlpineF1 wrote:Just got my welcome pack, thanks so if everything fits inside the tub and it matches the cooling regs and the thickness rule im ready to go?
if everything fits inside the boxes, and if it matches the cooling regs, (dont put wheels on it) and make sure you dont break f1 regulations as it will be excluded in 2013 but not for the Monaco test, if you have a car ready and it meets the criteria its ready to go :)
Budding F1 Engineer

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

Deleted wheels and suspension today putting engine and gearbox tomorrow is there anyone i can send it too in advance to make sure i havent made some sort of mistake? :D
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

N12ck

AlpineF1 wrote:Deleted wheels and suspension today putting engine and gearbox tomorrow is there anyone i can send it too in advance to make sure i havent made some sort of mistake? :D
drop it to the email you recieved the welcome pack from, but we may take up to a few days to check it all, we are doing quite alot at the moment :lol: we have just been testing meshing softwares and we are coming up with a better method of submission
Budding F1 Engineer

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

Yeah, i have to say your all doing an excellent job its all on time and very professional cars in its final stages of preparation already Are you an entry Nick?? :D
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

N12ck

AlpineF1 wrote:Yeah, i have to say your all doing an excellent job its all on time and very professional cars in its final stages of preparation already Are you an entry Nick?? :D
No it would be unfair for me to enter with being one of the people who set it up, although we do have a KVRC test car which you can follow progress of to compare your laptimes against (not classified in results) which is my car yes,

We are doing this whilst holding down full time work :lol:
Budding F1 Engineer

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

Yeah :lol: angels will fly out my bottom sooner than my car beating yours :D i'm just happy to be involved dont care much for positions :D
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

N12ck

AlpineF1 wrote:Yeah :lol: angels will fly out my bottom sooner than my car beating yours :D i'm just happy to be involved dont care much for positions :D
you never know, the Monaco data from my car will be published soon, we are just checking it over
Budding F1 Engineer

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

Haha yep thats true i look forward to seeing the results :D
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

Hi engine and gearbox are in but parts on the edge of the engine and gearbox are sticking out is it ok if i cover them up or..??
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

N12ck

Hi Cameron,

if they are sticking out, by all means cover them over, just do not make them smaller or chop bits off them, they are there to provide minimum sizing so no-one can make a crazily small area of bodywork. Hope that helps

Thanks
Nick
Budding F1 Engineer