USGP Michelin Tires

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Tulli's car

The last laugh in all this would seem to go to Toyota. Itv-f1.com is reporting that they ran Trulli's car with only 3 laps worth of fuel in qualifying because they knew the race wouldn't happen and thought they'd grab some headlines.

Reportedly Pascal Vasselon, the recently released Michelin F1 project manager (now a Toyota employeeand probably the most relieved man in the paddock), tapped up his contacts his contacts in the Michelin camp and was already sure by Saturday.

Oh yeah and supposedly Jenson cleaned up on a bet he'd placed on Tiago bagging a podium.

It's an ill wind I guess.

manchild
manchild

Anonymous wrote:Manchild, bother to learn the history of things before you start to rant and froth.
The sole reason the chicane was added in 1994 was because of the track safety paranoia gripping F1 after Imola. Eau Rouge has virtually no run off area and a serious accident had happened the year before. Spa, just like many other tracks on the calender was require to implement changes. However changing Eau Rouge was not a simple job because the land around it needed to be bought to make space for the run off areas first. The chicane was hated by all concerned and generally caused more trouble than it was worth. It is overwhelming proof that a temporary chicane was the wrong solution, not as you wish, a precident for using one.
Secondly it was known well in advance of the race it would be there and the teams and cars were ready for it.

The accidents invovling Ratzenberger and Senna were in completely different circumstances. RR smash was virtually head on after his front wing fell off, just before the chicane, got airborne, went striaght across it, hit a wall.
Nothing from RRs crash suggested in anyway, to anybody, that the sort of smash Senna had would be a major problem.
Senna ran wide, hit the wall and got spiked by his suspension, freak accident. The only difference to today is that tracks tend to have more run off area before solid walls, but there remain very many fast sweepers like Imola had that still have a solid wall albeit a little further back.
I was 22 in 1994 and I remember it very well, no need to learn this from the books or web…

There was no paranoia in Imola. Paranoia is imagined/unreal fear while in Imola there was real fear as the result of one death on Saturday and next one on Sunday.

Anyway, the main point is that Max said that building a chicane is illegal, dangerous and unfair when someone else builds it but when FIA build it in 1994 than it was legal, safe and fair… That is what this is all about – Max was 100% hypocrite. There was one of the greatest accidents year before in that same turn (Ralf almost paralyzed) so there is one more similarity with what was going on in Spa in pre-1994 seasons. I’m not saying that chicane in Indy would make smooth race but when 9 teams, 18 of 20 cars and all 20 drivers agree that it would be safer than FIA can either support that or cancel/postpone the race.

My opinion about FIA’s guilt regarding Imola is in fact that they’ve licensed the circuit that had so many unprotected walls. Millions were spent on stupid showing-off, fancy stuff while having several hundreds of used tyres isolating the walls was apparently to expensive for track owners. It was shameful thing what FIA was doing – licensing tracks season after season without much consideration of safety. It doesn’t matter what caused Roland’s and Senna’s straying - only one double or triple old rubber barrier would definitely prevent aftermath of Roland’s and Senna’s accidents. Unfortunately, FIA and Bernie were too busy filing their pockets. What happened this year in Imola? Tamburello is now chicaned and slow; however, 11 years after “black weekend” we’ve seen Fisichella hitting that same unprotected wall!! The old rubber must still be too expensive and FIA still blind.

That is why I hate FIA – for always being in financial deals with track owners which after every accident lead to mutual covering up so that non of them would be blamed. Senna’s case still isn’t cleared and I hope that one day guilt will make some “deep throat” from FIA to come forward to public and reveal the truth. One of the Italian inspectors I think already did it when he announced that data recording device that was located behind Senan’s seat and absolutely undamaged and functional was taken out of the car and later returned after being smashed with the hammer!

There are only two things now possible - major changes at FIA/F1 or GPWC, there is no other way!

manchild
manchild

Hudsonhawk wrote:Look at "Jean Frogs" options :shock:

http://www.formula-1.updatesport.com/ne ... /view.html
:D ...
Well look at that! Max and JT have suggested to Michelin teams absolutely identical solutions :shock:
How come, are those two "trans-Atlantic telepathic":?:
Max said that he learned about it on Sunday European time :!:

cccc...
Last edited by manchild on 24 Jun 2005, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

The only difference to today is that tracks tend to have more run off area before solid walls, but there remain very many fast sweepers like Imola had that still have a solid wall albeit a little further back.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't see any run-off areas after turn 13 at Indy..

Anonymous wrote:amazing.... http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type ... O_ID=33238

Paul Ricard????
That might be true. I heard some rumors that unless Mosley resigns by Monday, June 27th all teams (except Ferrari) will go to Paul Ricard. Bernie is with 7 teams, Minardi and Jordan are too. Toyota is conditioning their collaboration as engine supplier with Jordan and we all know what Stoddy thinks. There are also profit related talks that GM will make some personal changes in FIAT/Ferrari management?!

RH1300S
RH1300S

Anonymous wrote:amazing.... http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type ... O_ID=33238

Paul Ricard????
It's fun, but it's great...............thanks for the link \:D/

This is what you get when u have somebody who ran Simtek run F1

West

(PS Correct me if he didn't control the team)

It seams that summoning that Max arranged for 29th will be fair and impartial as much as elections in North Korea.

If it was up to me, I’d never go to be investigated (and judged) by someone who has already proclaimed me guilty even before the hearing was held – http://www.formula1.com/news/3223.html

On all polls I’ve seen, great majority of F1 fans find FIA guilty for USGP debacle. That is why this “joke” was obviously ordered by Maxes.

...lawyers.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Anonymous wrote:This is what you get when u have somebody who ran Simtek run F1

West

(PS Correct me if he didn't control the team)
Sorry...West but you're more or less incorrect! :lol:

Max Mosley was one of the investores in Simtek (Simulated Technology, if I'm not wrong)...the other investor was Nick Wirth!

In 1993 Nick Wirth using the Bravo F1 project that never came true modified the car and built it....as soon as he found the 500 thousand US Dollares (new team fee at the time) he created an independent company called SIMTEK GRAND PRIX, of which he was the only investor!

The thing was that at the time MAx Mosley was already FIA president so it wouldn't be a good idea to have him in a F1 team...it would bring much fuss! So Nick Wirth created his own team...independent from the mother company....Max stayed as a investor in the original Simtek....but not in Simtek Grand Prix.

Big interview with Mosley in today's UK Guardian

Quote: "I was reading a book called the Widom of Crowds. I thought: if thousands of people are saying I'm a tosser, maybe they are right."

He said it ....

He also claims that Ron was reasonable to deal with over Indie, while Flavio "didn't seem to have any coherent point". He thinks that the disciplinary concil won't back him up with any team bans.

He also says that if the teams hadn't taken on the FIA over GPWC he would probably have retired already. "If you're in charge, you can never walk away from a mess."

Actually that last rings true. I ready somewhere that Max actually wanted to be a politician but he couldn't because of who his Dad was (Oswald Mosely, head of the British fascist party). He decided to go into sport to make a name for himself internationally some other way.

Knew I should have registered. Sorry here's the right link: http://sport.guardian.co.uk/formulaone/ ... 72,00.html

manchild
manchild

Stoddart: Teams could boycott French GP

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=24958