2013 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2013 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

Is it a viable tactic to do a "1" stopper, starting on hard and switching to hard, and then doing a second stop a few laps before the finish flag , going to medium?
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

turbof1 wrote:Is it a viable tactic to do a "1" stopper, starting on hard and switching to hard, and then doing a second stop a few laps before the finish flag , going to medium?
No. That would be slower than a more evenly-spaced Hard-Hard-Medium. Such "splash and dash" strategies are only viable when one tyre is rubbish.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

The medium might become rubbish compared to the new hard tyre. Then again, in that case it would be better to just start with them and drop after a few laps.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

turbof1 wrote:The medium might become rubbish compared to the new hard tyre.
It's not about how relatively rubbish the tyre is - it's just about how long the tyre lasts in itself.

I have never understood the fascination with starting on the harder tyre. You're guaranteed a worse grid slot, and a worse start (even if not worse by much). Then you're stuck in dirty air, making you even slower. And after the guys on the options ahead of you pit, then they'll have the undercut on you, on much fresher rubber. You're only guaranteeing that you lose track position, for the gain of better pace. The only time starting on the primes works is when track position is already lost anyways - generally, through bad qualifying.

I'm personally of the opinion that the medium-hard combo is well capable of doing a one-stop race - but I think that you'll be too slow managing worn tyres for the 20s advantage of not taking the pitstop to matter anymore. I think OOPP or OPPP is probably going to be the quickest strategy around here - with the odd team trying an OPP.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

raymondu999 wrote:
It's not about how relatively rubbish the tyre is - it's just about how long the tyre lasts in itself.
I disagree. If the hard tyre can give much more performance after X amount of laps then the medium tyre can in, let's say, 5 laps, then you basicilly want to stay out as long as you possible can on the hard tyre. Then you don't want to bolt on the medium tyre at all due it only gives a slight ultimate pace advantage with the much larger disadvantage that they are performing less good then the hard tyre after a rather small amount of laps.
I have never understood the fascination with starting on the harder tyre. You're guaranteed a worse grid slot, and a worse start (even if not worse by much). Then you're stuck in dirty air, making you even slower. And after the guys on the options ahead of you pit, then they'll have the undercut on you, on much fresher rubber. You're only guaranteeing that you lose track position, for the gain of better pace. The only time starting on the primes works is when track position is already lost anyways - generally, through bad qualifying.
If the circuit has a high wear on the medium tyres, it might pay off vs medium tyres. if medium tyres have to pit early, the hard tyres are out of the dirty air. Undercut is not important when driving 2 different strategies. What counts is if your tyres last long enough to keep the ones on fresher tyres behind you.

All depends on how the medium tyres can cope with the abrasiviness of the circuit.
#AeroFrodo

Hail22

BBC Weather forecast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6944036

Pirelli Preview with new changes:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbmy_RtaTS0[/youtube]

I also believe there will be an extra set of tyres for First practice, I will need to chase it up (unless someone can confirm it before I get back that is).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

turbof1 wrote:Undercut is not important when driving 2 different strategies. What counts is if your tyres last long enough to keep the ones on fresher tyres behind you.

All depends on how the medium tyres can cope with the abrasiviness of the circuit.
But we're not alking of two different strategies. I'm talking of "reverse" strategies. Eg. OPP vs PPO. Then what I'm saying would be entirely valid. It's basically looking at how for example Raikkonen/Hamilton's races unfolded, relative to Vettel's, in China.
turbof1 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
I disagree. If the hard tyre can give much more performance after X amount of laps then the medium tyre can in, let's say, 5 laps, then you basicilly want to stay out as long as you possible can on the hard tyre. Then you don't want to bolt on the medium tyre at all due it only gives a slight ultimate pace advantage with the much larger disadvantage that they are performing less good then the hard tyre after a rather small amount of laps.
I do apologise. I thought the word "competitively" went without saying.

In any case, in any strategy - you only ever want to be on the option tyres to the point that they give equal grip to a new prime.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

But we're not alking of two different strategies. I'm talking of "reverse" strategies. Eg. OPP vs PPO. Then what I'm saying would be entirely valid. It's basically looking at how for example Raikkonen/Hamilton's races unfolded, relative to Vettel's, in China.
No because pitstops would be at entirely different points. Albeit it changes what happens at the end; then you need to push hard at the end.
The difficulty though, and here I do agree, is slotting in back in clean air after your pitstop. It's easier for the people who use the mainstream strategy.
#AeroFrodo

Gridlock

...And we're off!
Back on line again. Going to airport. Been very busy 2 weeks.
Dickie Stanford

FrukostScones

I'd love to see Williams bring back last years car (at least for MAL)! I know the tyres are differnetly shaped, but I would really see this comparison! The Williams was so strong in the fast aero sections!

Weather: 21 / 22 / 21 cloudy

Anyway:

1.GRO 2.VET 3.RAI is how they gonna finish!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

turbof1

Grosjean first? That's a daring prediction. I like it!

I think hamilton first, vettel second, and rosberg thirth.
#AeroFrodo

Vasconia

With the new hard tyres I expect less pistops, less changes and consequently a more boring race. I think Vettel will win this one if Alonso hasnt got a great day.

The medium-(new)hard combination is so conservative and boring... :?

MOWOG

Altering the characteristics of the tires in the midst of the season while simultaneously banning testing is idiotic. :wtf:

It is akin to changing the diameter of a baseball but not giving the pitchers an opportunity to throw the new ball prior to entering a game or making a soccer ball out of synthetic material but prohibiting the teams from learning how the new ball behaves before the game begins. Cuckoo..... #-o

Why not just require the drivers to exit their vehicles during pit stops, do three laps around the car, kiss Bernie's patoot and then carry on from there.

Formula One has its head up its exhaust pipe. They say they want to attract new teams but then prohibit the newcomers from sharing in the profits of the sport because they are not as competitive as the teams who have been doing this since the end of the last Ice Age. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I wish they would put me in charge. I'd straighten the sport and it wouldn't take me all day either! :lol:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Racer X

And I wish I had Martin Whitmarshs Job the MP4-28 would be the fastest car on the grid....
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

aral
aral

Vasconia wrote:With the new hard tyres I expect less pistops, less changes and consequently a more boring race. I think Vettel will win this one if Alonso hasnt got a great day.

The medium-(new)hard combination is so conservative and boring... :?

If F1 is about RACING, then less pit stops (or none at all) is a truer reflection of a RACE. Or is it a stage managed SHOW you want?