2013 Monaco Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2013 Monaco Grand Prix

#AeroFrodo

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Bomber_Pilot

There is no way that we will see teams three-stopping. Last year Vettel did 45 laps on one set, so this year we will see two stops max (if).

Clew

richard_leeds wrote:
Clew wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:This thread has been cleansed of symptoms of irritable fanbowel syndrome.

Please spare us from driver mythology and idolatry.
Then why are all posts prior to this one still view-able? :lol:

You’re right. It's tempting delete all bar 3 or 4 isn't it? :o

However, race threads are a place where people cheer on the cars as if they are sitting in the grandstand. They’re also a useful decoy to keep the other threads relatively clean of fan comments.

My patience ran out at the pantomime posts:- “Hamilton is the greatest” …. “Oh yes he is”….. “oh no his isn’t”… etc #-o
Well, if it were up to me, I say delete EVERYBODY ELSE'S post except mine \:D/
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

Clew

Do you consider tyre performance demanding a strategy with a higher number of pit stops impeding the races quality?
From a viewer perspective, I find the race more enjoyable when the analysts say things like, " looks like we'll have at least 3 pit stops...should be interesting...." They imply less predictability in the races outcome with more pit stops.
Fresher tyres on the out-lap usually means more passing opportunities against those on a differing pit strategy.
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

raymondu999

Clew wrote:Well, if it were up to me, I say delete EVERYBODY ELSE'S post except mine \:D/
Obviously it is for a good reason then that it isn't.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Ray, I normally agree with you but, he specifically said "going slowly in q3" and "other cars have more pace in them if they need it".
I think it was more a poor choice of words rather than what he actually meant - IMO he meant going slowly through setup, and "other cars can be setup for more pace in them if they need it"
Who knows? As you well know, clarity can be hard to come by around here.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Kiril Varbanov

Rob Smedley on Monaco specifics and setup:
“We always ask the drivers to brush the barriers as much as possible, because that’s where the lap time comes from,” explains Rob Smedley, who has been Felipe Massa’s race engineer for many a year. “Once, me and a colleague went to watch a race in one of the junior formulae from the entrance to the Swimming Pool section: well, when we saw how close they got to the barriers at over 200 km/h, we said to ourselves that maybe we ought to have a bit more respect for the drivers!”
He continues:
“Mechanical grip counts for a lot as there are hardly any fast corners, only slow ones, some of which are very tight, like the Loews hairpin,” continues Rob. “From an aerodynamic point of view, you therefore look for the configuration with the most downforce, without getting too concerned about drag. On paper, it’s an inefficient choice, but that’s how it works here. From a weight distribution point of view, you try to go as much as possible towards the rear, which needs to be very stiff, coupled to a soft front end to reduce understeer in the slow corners.”
Personally I'm going to use these in the commentary box and hope for two stops :)

turbof1

I think many drivers will intend to go for a two stop, but some of them will swap midrace to a one stopper. We did see that with Vettel in 2011 (albeit that was a lucky coincedence.

Teams will be watching eachother much more so then any other circuit. Trying to use undercut is hugely important: it either can help you gain the spot of the one in front of you if he comes in too, or it makes you loose place due the ones behind simply don't come in.

And to make matters even more interesting: we always have a high probability for one or more safety cars.

Pit stop strategy will probably not take any solid form before the race, but during it.
#AeroFrodo

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

"Adrian Susil" #-o .

Careful, presentator, he might lunge at you with a bottle for that :P .
#AeroFrodo

stefan_
stefan_

Lotus / Daft Punk livery for Monaco

Vasconia

A little bit of rain expected and low temperatures, Lewis and Nico are good prayers. :D

Chances for Mercedes are rising, I expect the first victory of Lewis with the german team.

majki2111

Vasconia wrote:A little bit of rain expected and low temperatures, Lewis and Nico are good prayers. :D

Chances for Mercedes are rising, I expect the first victory of Lewis with the german team.
Why not Rosberg? I think it is going to be Rosberg, if Mercedes will win.

astracrazy
astracrazy

I expect Lewis to have the edge over Nico here. But a 1-2 which ever way round would be nice