Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
douglas
douglas

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

Shakeman wrote:Looks like someone's confident.
What chassis could this be? Nose looks a bit like W01 one but the side-pod inlets are strange

Shakeman

Manoah2u wrote:
Shakeman wrote:Looks like someone's confident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokRojnFNOI#t=0
it's as if Arnold Schwarzenegger is doing a narration. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
I just wanted him to say, "I'll be baaack!"

Gridlock

elf341 wrote:If Mercedes dominate this season, I hope they get consider getting Ross Brawn up on the podium. Is that out of the question?
Let's ask Ross - what do you say?

Shakeman

Lewis talks to Peter Windsor re 2014 cars.

Lots of good info.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjaOVaFn2Gk[/youtube]

Hope this isn't a repost.

Sevach
Sevach

New helmet for Lewis

ecapox

Why does he have to look like a flatbill goon?

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Cool, it looks like his Singapore spec helmet. Wonder if he's gonna keep it. I like the yellow actually.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Shakeman wrote:Lewis talks to Peter Windsor re 2014 cars.

Lots of good info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjaOVaFn2Gk

It is but it wasn't really picked up in the W05 thread. This is the most insightfull videos of how these cars are really like too drive. Wheelspin up till 5th gear is insane. Let alone driving in the wet :shock:

Shakeman

Emerson.F wrote:

Lots of good info.

It is but it wasn't really picked up in the W05 thread. This is the most insightfull videos of how these cars are really like too drive. Wheelspin up till 5th gear is insane. Let alone driving in the wet :shock:
Oh well, at least I put it in the right place.

I think we might finally have a drivers' Formula with all that HP waiting to spin you off, the best driver will be the one who can tame that beast.

Lewis looked very relaxed and wasn't in PR speak mode.

I hope F1 doesn't go the way of horse racing and require the drivers to be boiled dry in order to compete. That would not be good for motorsport and the FIA should ensure a minimum BMI or some other means of ensuring a healthy body weight can compete.

Sevach
Sevach

Emerson.F wrote:
Cool, it looks like his Singapore spec helmet. Wonder if he's gonna keep it. I like the yellow actually.
It does look like that one, which i liked a lot btw.
I kinda dislike the yellow one... would prefer if he kept it.

carrief1
carrief1

ecapox wrote:Why does he have to look like a flatbill goon?
God what a terribly offensive, hooliganistic thing to say :roll:

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Shrieker

Lots of good info.

He's literally hungry lol.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Lewis Hamilton in-depth (Part 2): "Eau Rouge may not be flat this year..."

The overtake starts at 3:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxPK0IJ_to4
Q Nico, after all that guessing over the winter, how was it out on track today?
Nico Rosberg: It was great! Finally we’re in Melbourne. Today was so interesting - such an unbelievable lesson. If you thought you knew everything about racing, today showed that there is so much more out there! Take the fuel: we are so on the limit here. You have to save, save, save. And I believe that with our engine we are in good shape. I don’t want to know how the others are doing - under what pressure they are under. I could imagine that saving fuel for some others is even a bigger topic than for us. Take this as an example: you can see lap by lap how much fuel you are using - and how much fuel you need to finish the race. I was always running a bit over that - I never reached the target, so it will be a very interesting race on Sunday, believe me. It’s almost like trying to circle the square: saving fuel and going fast at the same time! And on top of that the tyres do degrade quite a lot - something we didn’t expect from our experiences at the tests. So a mega task is waiting for all of us - and an amazing race for the fans.

Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 15557.html

Cocles

Wanted to jump in here quickly as I wanted to put this down in writing before qualifying.

As one of the uber diehard Merc fans on F1Tech, this season bears a significance the others and I have been watching and waiting to arrive since 2011.

As we all know, Merc purchased Brawn in an era when everyone thought a strong RRA was on the horizon and hilarity ensued.

In 2011, after an embarrassing German GP, Brawn met with Dr. Z and was able to secure a budget allowing Merc to finally take the fight to the front runners. Of course, takes time for money to make it to the track. Costa and Willis were hired and the consensus on here was we would not see the full effect of this money until 2013. Obviously our community was correct as we saw Merc's jump in the standings.

Throughout it all however, Merc fans have had one little factoid niggling us in the back of our minds. Merc is a works team. The draw of this is the idea of seeing an F1 chassis and engine literally built for one another. That is their most major engineering trump card, engine integration. The Mercedes V8, however, was originally built for the MP4 bloodline, not Brackley. With homologation, what we had were Brixworth and Brackley working to integrate a V8 designed for a different car. That is why this season is so significant for Merc and the fans. When we hear "Mercedes works team", we think of a works car, and the W05 will be our first true, no caveats, works car.

My point? Those caveats are why I wanted to write this post before this season gets started. As a Mercedes fan, we've spent the last several years defending our team and its shortcoming by ultimately saying, "Just wait." --And here we are. That excuse is gone. All excuses are gone. This is, for the first time since they returned in 2010, the Mercedes works team organized and operating in the manner we expected it too when the first press releases came out after the 2009 season. A chassis and engine built for one another backed by a budget and depth of engineering one expects from this level of marque.

For better or worse, us Merc fans have no where to hide should the team underperform this season, and we will have every reason to grin should they take the championships.

Hopefully Ferrari isn't sandbagging. ;) Thanks, and on with the show.