A crisis meeting in the cards?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Re: A crisis meeting in the cards?

myurr wrote:
CHT wrote:Just wondering what will happen if Renault powered cars are going to turn up at Melbourne knowing they are not going to complete the race? Will they all choose to retired after the formation lap?
If they know that they definitely cannot complete a race distance then that would be the optimum strategy otherwise they risk blowing an engine and suffering grid penalties later in the year even if they fix the underlying issue. More likely they'd have to dial everything back or run an ICE with ERS disconnected and just pootle round hoping to collect points when other cars ahead of them break down.
Without ERS, I dont think their cars will be quick enough to stay within the 107% rule.

NTS
NTS

The 107% rule has been waived a few times before, so I don't expect the FIA to enforce it against half the field.

RZS10

There's a huge difference between not making the 107% just in Qualifying and not making it at all during the whole weekend though. Just imagine the difference in speed and acceleration, the cars without ERS would seem like they are stationary compared to the cars with full power.

WillerZ

myurr wrote:
CHT wrote:…Will they all choose to retired after the formation lap?
If they know that they definitely cannot complete a race distance then that would be the optimum strategy…
Possibly: if they know that the problem is only in software then this is true. If it requires a change to the engine hardware then it is surely better for them to stay at home: if they so much as leave the pit lane in FP1 that is one of their eight-engine allowance irretrievably used up.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Isn't skipping races seen as a breach of contract that is punishable by a heavy fine and potential exclusion from the championship (for repeat offences)? If so, staying at home just isn't an option. It would be more useful to treat the whole thing as an extended test.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

myurr
myurr

WillerZ wrote:
myurr wrote:
CHT wrote:…Will they all choose to retired after the formation lap?
If they know that they definitely cannot complete a race distance then that would be the optimum strategy…
Possibly: if they know that the problem is only in software then this is true. If it requires a change to the engine hardware then it is surely better for them to stay at home: if they so much as leave the pit lane in FP1 that is one of their eight-engine allowance irretrievably used up.
I would presume that it would be better to run a very conservative program in the free practice sessions and collect some data rather than not turn up at all, and it may not be until the first practice sessions that they know for sure they couldn't make a full race distance. But you are right that not turning up would be an option, subject to contract as per gridwalker's comment.

myurr
myurr

CHT wrote:Without ERS, I dont think their cars will be quick enough to stay within the 107% rule.
Possibly not especially with the Mercedes approaching last years pace, although they're likely to be able to scrape in if they use a bit of ERS in qualifying but then ditch it for the race.

We're only talking about a handful of cars though that have simply failed to do a good enough job and who have it within their power to fix the situation over the next few weeks. It'll require compromise though, giving up on that final 1% of pace just to be able to run reliably until they can introduce a B spec later in the year.

CHT
CHT

it will be interesting to see how a race with limited fuel unfold itself. Obviously car starting from pole will have a better chance of preserving fuel due to clean air and traffic, while those get stuck behind will suffer greatly. I hope we are not going to see cars cruising just to finish the race.

Assuming in the worst case scenario, FIA increase the fuel load to say 110 or 120kg, how difficult it will be for the team to accommodate a larger fuel tank?
"Bahrain is the worst track, so today it was tough to get to the end of the race with 100 litres," Rosberg said. "That's going to be a big challenge in Melbourne and that's what it was about today, to try and judge that and make sure that you get the quickest from the beginning to the end of the race while keeping the fuel consumption consistent."

"I finished the grand prix distance, but in testing it's relatively easy to do because you just drive around really slow," Button added. "I think we are all going to find it tricky and there is a lot of fine tuning that's needed from everyone. I think for most people it's trying to get the car to run for a race distance - that's the biggest issue!"

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/146485.html

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

CHT wrote:it will be interesting to see how a race with limited fuel unfold itself. Obviously car starting from pole will have a better chance of preserving fuel due to clean air and traffic, while those get stuck behind will suffer greatly. I hope we are not going to see cars cruising just to finish the race.

Assuming in the worst case scenario, FIA increase the fuel load to say 110 or 120kg, how difficult it will be for the team to accommodate a larger fuel tank?
"Bahrain is the worst track, so today it was tough to get to the end of the race with 100 litres," Rosberg said. "That's going to be a big challenge in Melbourne and that's what it was about today, to try and judge that and make sure that you get the quickest from the beginning to the end of the race while keeping the fuel consumption consistent."

"I finished the grand prix distance, but in testing it's relatively easy to do because you just drive around really slow," Button added. "I think we are all going to find it tricky and there is a lot of fine tuning that's needed from everyone. I think for most people it's trying to get the car to run for a race distance - that's the biggest issue!"

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/146485.html
I imagine they'd shorten the race by 5 laps before they ask teams to increase the size of the tanks. I imagine tanks are capable of holding 110 anyway as the 100kg doesn't include parade lap or slow down lap. So there will be some extra capacity there but not much.

myurr
myurr

CHT wrote:Assuming in the worst case scenario, FIA increase the fuel load to say 110 or 120kg, how difficult it will be for the team to accommodate a larger fuel tank?
You know, we could just stop assuming the worst. This thread has been littered with people assuming the worst and then being proven wrong as testing progresses.

Sure there will be the odd cock up and some teams may struggle in the first couple of races. But at the other end of the spectrum there appear to be several teams who are more or less on top of things and will put in a good showing. Instead of speculating and stressing about stuff that may never happen, why not trust that the teams aren't all incompetent, sit back, and see what happens.

CHT
CHT

myurr wrote:
CHT wrote:Assuming in the worst case scenario, FIA increase the fuel load to say 110 or 120kg, how difficult it will be for the team to accommodate a larger fuel tank?
You know, we could just stop assuming the worst. This thread has been littered with people assuming the worst and then being proven wrong as testing progresses.

Sure there will be the odd cock up and some teams may struggle in the first couple of races. But at the other end of the spectrum there appear to be several teams who are more or less on top of things and will put in a good showing. Instead of speculating and stressing about stuff that may never happen, why not trust that the teams aren't all incompetent, sit back, and see what happens.
Both Rosberg and Button have sounded warning that fuel consumption is going to be a concern after doing their race simulation. So thats really not an assumption and dont believe the fuel consumption is something that can be improve drastically without compromising the race pace.

myurr
myurr

CHT wrote:
myurr wrote:Sure there will be the odd cock up and some teams may struggle in the first couple of races. But at the other end of the spectrum there appear to be several teams who are more or less on top of things and will put in a good showing. Instead of speculating and stressing about stuff that may never happen, why not trust that the teams aren't all incompetent, sit back, and see what happens.
Both Rosberg and Button have sounded warning that fuel consumption is going to be a concern after doing their race simulation. So thats really not an assumption and dont believe the fuel consumption is something that can be improve drastically without compromising the race pace.
You honestly think that half the field is going to fail to make the end of the race? Sure they'll be managing fuel, but they have been for years. Brundle is always saying how the cars start the race underweight. If even a quarter of the cars fail to finish due to running out of fuel in Australia then it's a non-problem that is entirely manageable by the teams.

CHT
CHT

myurr wrote:You honestly think that half the field is going to fail to make the end of the race? Sure they'll be managing fuel, but they have been for years. Brundle is always saying how the cars start the race underweight. If even a quarter of the cars fail to finish due to running out of fuel in Australia then it's a non-problem that is entirely manageable by the teams.
I am sure most will make it to the end, its just a matter of how much the drivers need to sacrifice their race pace to make it to the end. Button has already suggested that cruising around is an option to make it to the end.

In the past, fuel load is a variable and its adjusted based on fuel consumption. Now, fuel load is fixed and while fuel consumption is not.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

I hope it doesn't turn into a fuel conserving snooze fest. It will kill what remains of F1.

Helios

Vettel Maggot wrote:I hope it doesn't turn into a fuel conserving snooze fest. It will kill what remains of F1.
You mean the tyre-saving snoozefest from the last couple of years was more interesting and F1-like? :roll: