The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the new engine sounds?

Love it!
14%
Pretty good, better than the V8s
10%
Pretty good, but not as good as the V8s
11%
Acceptable
18%
Don't really like it
15%
They've taken its soul away
32%

Total votes: 241

WillerZ

Re: The new engine sounds

I voted "Love it" because now we can hear so many other things we haven't heard before: the scream of tortured tyres, the cheers of the crowd, etc. Presumably the drivers can hear the crowd as well now, which adds a psychological element to the racing.

mnmracer
mnmracer

damo46 wrote:On the TV they mentioned that the sound of the engines use to be 150db now they are below 100db, the legal limit for a road car is 98db!!! Try going to a concert and getting them to turn the volume down it just wouldn't be the same. From a spectators view the sound is very important and something should be done about it.

The new power plants are great and the cars look challenging to drive, which will make for good racing, but we need to feel and hear these cars to create excitement.
That's not quite true either.
The V10s did over 150db on the test bank, and about 141db in the car on track.
The V8s did 144db on the test bank, and about 134db in the car on track.
The V6s do 134db on the test bank, so I reckon about 125db in the car on track.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

I wonder how tame a burnout would sound these days? It would just be the car spinning around, tyres smoking and not much else.
A very sad thing has happened to the engine noise, the wild, mannerless beast has been tamed. Gone are the days when the engines were like a volcano in a bottle. I used to enjoy haunting down videos of F1 engines on YouTube, sadly this era will not add to such entertainment.

Want to see a proper engine unleashed? Try this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kApVM30AoUo[/youtube]

el-Magico
el-Magico

It's a HORROR!
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

Hail22

I'll just be a hermit and continue to watch this till the day I die...because this is how I will always remember how Formula 1 should sound like:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqaJKTRs-Kg[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

el-Magico
el-Magico

Hail22 wrote:I'll just be a hermit and continue to watch this till the day I die...because this is how I will always remember how Formula 1 should sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqaJKTRs-Kg
+1!!!! Those were the days!
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

krisfx
krisfx

At least it's louder than Formula E :)

mistrx
mistrx

I could listen to THIS http://vimeo.com/76775692 for hours!

That's a proper F1 sound! And one pretty good driver as well :)

mnmracer
mnmracer

krisfx wrote:At least it's louder than Formula E :)
My snores are louder than Formula E :lol:

mistrx
mistrx

krisfx wrote:At least it's louder than Formula E :)
Good one! :lol: But this situation still makes me really sad :( There's Formula E, there's LMP for those that want to follow economy runs with quiet machines so why the hell they are doing this to F1? #-o :(

HVS5b
HVS5b

After watching quali yesterday I have yet to find the words to express my utter disappointment in the engine tones and volumes.
Interviews being conducted without issues next to garages with cars running and revving.

The pole is a no-brainer imo. Ripped the bleeding heart out and replaced it with a pacemaker.

Will certainly stop me attending any F1 races in person. Absolute nonsense :-(

ScottB
ScottB

I wonder if the TV companies need to do something about this.

The difference between the old cars in the flesh and on tv was noticeable; presumably they were reducing the noise for broadcast for whatever reason, easier to talk over etc. At least it seemed that way to me...

If they are using the same set up now, could it be exaggerating the sound reduction? Or could they boost the noise a bit for broadcast?

I do like the sort of noises we get now, from the turbo and the recovery systems... Just needs to be a bit louder!

zeph
zeph

I don't have a problem with the sound of the new PU's.

At least they don't get on my nerves the way the high-revving, shrieking V8's did. And they even sound a little futuristic!

rickzeppelin
rickzeppelin

[x] Acceptable

On low RPMs they sound like vacuum cleaners, but when accelerating on high RPMs they sound like a muted DKW or Saab 2-stroke. But I like the Saab's sound so.... But I'm still surprised even a 30hp 2-stroke L3 is somewhat louder than a 600hp v6. :?

Take your own conclusions (see from 1:42):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSM-h_nmi8