2014 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MercedesAMGSpy

Re: 2014 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal

anzx wrote:
MercedesAMGSpy wrote:I heard that Red Bull will bring a major engine upgrade in Austria, so until then I think they will suffer on the straigths.
What about Renault or other Renault teams (Lotus for example), as I remember Renault claimed that they will be close to 100% of the engine power in Canada. Let's hope we'll see what the Renault engine is capable of. It can't be the most expensive and the worst on the grid, that doesn't make any sense :)
In my opionion Redbull and Lotus are the best chassis on the grid, and with good engine they would match Merc.
Lotus has a good chassis indeed, but not sure they could compete with Mercedes. Red Bull could. People shouldn't underestimate Mercedes chassis though, even in 2013 they had a good car (quali pace) and this year the updates look nice and clean too. It's the whole package that is brilliant.

I don't know if Lotus will have that major engine update in Austria. Red Bull is Renault works team and they will receive those updates earlier than Lotus (one race earlier).

Spacepace

Red bull are bringing an organic upgrade to canada.

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic- ... Onion.html

Anon123
Anon123

Juzh wrote:One thing I've noticed looking at the onboards from monaco was how ferraris were the fastest cars at the end of the tunnel, faster even than mercedes by at least a few clicks and they did it regularly. 285 kmh vs 290 kmh for ferrari. Renaults were further 5 kmh off.
Lower gearing possibly?

f1316
f1316

Anon123 wrote:
Juzh wrote:One thing I've noticed looking at the onboards from monaco was how ferraris were the fastest cars at the end of the tunnel, faster even than mercedes by at least a few clicks and they did it regularly. 285 kmh vs 290 kmh for ferrari. Renaults were further 5 kmh off.
Lower gearing possibly?
They're expecting a big engine step for Montreal, so I expect they'll be better able to manage what downforce/drag penalty they run than in previous races.

Thoughts/questions:

- Is this race front or rear limited?

- Is it likely a team like Williams will change their gear ratioss, having run short up til this point?

- who has already used their allowed ratio change (if anyone)?

komninosm
komninosm

Spacepace wrote:Red bull are bringing an organic upgrade to canada.

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic- ... Onion.html
They what?
The what and the what what now? :?: :?

mikeerfol

f1316 wrote:
Anon123 wrote:
Lower gearing possibly?
They're expecting a big engine step for Montreal, so I expect they'll be better able to manage what downforce/drag penalty they run than in previous races.

Thoughts/questions:

- Is it likely a team like Williams will change their gear ratioss, having run short up til this point?

- who has already used their allowed ratio change (if anyone)?
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/472336722739875841

Juzh

Anon123 wrote:
Lower gearing possibly?
Maybe... not convinced though. Power band from these engines is too wide for it to be an issue imo.

f1316
f1316

Nice one, thanks! :)

Cuky

Interesting...I thought Ferrari and McLaren changed theirs ahead of Bahrain GP

Anon123
Anon123

f1316 wrote:
I think it's rear limited, it has lots of slow corners, some where you need to chuck the back end around a bit and some which lead onto straights where you nail the throttle at low speed.

stephenwh
stephenwh

This just in! Breaking news! According to a recent facebook post from Lewis Hamilton - Lewis and Nico have recently talked and have agreed to be FRENEMIES FOR LIFE! [-o< =D> =D> =D>

dans79

stephenwh wrote:This just in! Breaking news! According to a recent facebook post from Lewis Hamilton - Lewis and Nico have recently talked and have agreed to be FRENEMIES FOR LIFE! [-o< =D> =D> =D>

I saw that, and it reeks of a mandatory PR statement.
197 104 103 7

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

The post: https://www.facebook.com/LewisHamilton/ ... =1&theater
Lewis Hamilton wrote: We have been friends a long time & as friends we have our ups & downs. Today we spoke & we're cool, still friends #noproblem

Kingshark
Kingshark

So now they're friends again? But Lewis, I thought...

Well, whatever...

Shrieker

Kingshark wrote:So now they're friends again? But Lewis, I thought...
He says "maybe" at the end which leaves the door open. Sooo... There you go. But Lewis generally sounded like he did back in Monaco 2011 post race. Not that he said anything wrong back then, just the way he said it. It's a little bit irritating.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk