McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
domh245
domh245

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda

DarkAlman wrote:
domh245 wrote:
DarkAlman wrote:ummm, they ran the rear wing support through the exhaust pipe?

I realize STR came up with this idea, but it just occurred to me, could they put an exhaust duct in there to do something F-duct related?
I don't think you would be able to, in the regulations it states:
Engine exhaust systems must have only a single turbine tailpipe ...

...All and only the turbine exit exhaust gases must pass through the turbine tailpipe
which I would take to mean that you can't run exhaust gas through a central pylon.
Does the rule say all turbine exit exhaust gases must "pass through" or "exit" the tailpipe?
With an ability to liberally interpret the rules like that, you should get a Job at Red Bull! :D

But, whilst it does only say that they must pass through the tailpipe, the preceding point about only being able to have 1 exhaust exit, along with the rules about where that exit must be located (article 5.8.4), would rule out any exotic ducting to try and influence the rear wing aerodynamics. However, I wonder if it would be possible to add some small devices onto that central pylon (similar to those protrusions on the rear wing end plates of a number of cars) to try and influence the flow of the exhaust?

DarkAlman
DarkAlman

I imagine a similar conversation happening in the engineering departments at all the top teams last year.

The bisecting of the tailtipe is definitely to influence the exhaust gas. But the logical result is likely to just add stability to the flow.

But i do remember the FIA passing a directive last month that the waste gate could not be used as a fluid switch.

dren

Major rear reworking of the suspension as I figured would happen. A good overall evolution.
Honda!

Mansell89
Mansell89

What a beautiful car. I wish the livery was somewhat different- I'd rather the car be Champagne white like the race suit than the other way around but McLaren are being innovative and agressive with their aero- crossing all fingers that they have a power unit to go to war with this year although it is a big ask.

On a side note- the knowledge and analysis that you guys do on this forum is bordering on mind-blowing, some great insights for somewhat of a novice like me.

One question for you- to my (very) untrained eye, there seems to be some similarities this year between Merc, Ferrari, and McLaren? Last year there were clear differences in the nose (and the power units! :lol: , but this year, do the the nose designs look somewhat more aligned as well as the tighter rear packaging? Could one say- as bonkers as it may sound now- that McLaren have led the way with the innovative rear aero packaging, and could that cause pressure or problems for those teams who are dealing with it this year, with cooling and other reliability/performance issues?

Or, am I clutching at some straws?

dot235
dot235

Just thought will repost it here.
dot235 wrote:rough comparison with MP4-31

photos of course taken from different perspectives (someone needs to teach guys at McL how to take the proper pictures of the top view :) ), size matched to rear axle track length with tyres (551px).

PlatinumZealot

Mansell89 wrote:What a beautiful car. I wish the livery was somewhat different- I'd rather the car be Champagne white like the race suit than the other way around but McLaren are being innovative and agressive with their aero- crossing all fingers that they have a power unit to go to war with this year although it is a big ask.

On a side note- the knowledge and analysis that you guys do on this forum is bordering on mind-blowing, some great insights for somewhat of a novice like me.

One question for you- to my (very) untrained eye, there seems to be some similarities this year between Merc, Ferrari, and McLaren? Last year there were clear differences in the nose (and the power units! :lol: , but this year, do the the nose designs look somewhat more aligned as well as the tighter rear packaging? Could one say- as bonkers as it may sound now- that McLaren have led the way with the innovative rear aero packaging, and could that cause pressure or problems for those teams who are dealing with it this year, with cooling and other reliability/performance issues?

I wouldn't call it innovative though. Years ago Adrian Newey of RedBull pioneered tight rear-end packaging with everyone else copying it over time. If you look back to the last days of the V8 engines pretty much everyone had extremely tight bodywork around the back. Once the new V6 turbo engines were introduced the teams went very conservative to allow enough cooling for reliability. Everyone has mastered that now so they have all gone aggressive with the bodywork - Even the Haas car looks tight.

P.S - Livery discussions are not allowed in the car threads.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Mansell89
Mansell89

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:What a beautiful car. I wish the livery was somewhat different- I'd rather the car be Champagne white like the race suit than the other way around but McLaren are being innovative and agressive with their aero- crossing all fingers that they have a power unit to go to war with this year although it is a big ask.

I wouldn't call it innovative though. Years ago Adrian Newey of RedBull pioneered tight rear-end packaging with everyone else copying it over time. If you look back to the last days of the V8 engines pretty much everyone had extremely tight bodywork around the back. Once the new V6 turbo engines were introduced the teams went very conservative to allow enough cooling for reliability. Everyone has mastered that now so they have all gone aggressive with the bodywork - Even the Haas car looks tight.

P.S - Livery discussions are not allowed in the car threads.
Only just read the rules re: livery- apologies. If it needs editing out let me know.

I guess I used the word innovative in the sense of the new formula- they were definitely the only team to fully go with it last year and now the others seem to be looking to master it.

Tom.Ace49

Thanx for all the cool pics guys, and the all the insights. I cant wait to see pics from testing, hopefully we might have some tomorrow.

Here's looking at you mp4-31!
"The crowd cheered as if it all made sense" - Clive James 1982 Formula One season review (Monaco)

bill shoe
bill shoe

Did somebody already mention this?-- First time in 3 years that McLaren has not saddled themselves with any rear suspension links that are located far aft in an attempt to use suspension links as aero devices over the diffuser exit. The 2014 car had the severe "blockers" but even the 2015 car had one stubborn link trying to be fancy. That must have put quite a bit of extra weight in the rear structure to hold those extreme-rear loads. In 2016 McLaren is not carrying around the extra weight. Finally.

gold333
gold333

photos of course taken from different perspectives (someone needs to teach guys at McL how to take the proper pictures of the top view :) ), size matched to rear axle track length with tyres (551px).

Lol, Mclaren is known for being size zero, yet the Ferrari is even slimmer at the back.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

Redragon

All the stills from the video that are important to study with more details

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ieyl1xny7yo8 ... b3HAa?dl=0

proteus

gold333 wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/SsBNCCB.jpg

Lol, Mclaren is known for being size zero, yet the Ferrari is even slimmer at the back.
Not really, Ferraris ending of body is as wide as the rear wing, while Mclarens is narrower. Midpoint is somwhere same.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Alonso Fan

It seems as though the mp4-31 has a marginally less tight back end compared with the mp4-30, and f1fanatic echo's this view too. Combine this with the extra space they get by raising the head rests, hopefully it should give the engine more breathing room. Rest of the car looks sleek and a nice controlled evolution of last years car, even if a little on the aggressive side. Let's hope it performs like it looks: A good improvement over last year's chassis which the BBC claims was around as quick as the Ferrari.

Waiting for tomorrow...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

PlatinumZealot

Don't let the cooling outlets distract you. The real area where the slimness counts is under the cooling outlet, at the coke bottle itself. This location is from the leading edge of the rear wheel across to where the gearbox is and extending back to the diffuser. The span of the cooling outlets actually can be used condition the air to your advantage depending on the track, but that coke bottle zone is important to keep it clean and clear.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

horse

If the engine cover fits this well then the power unit will get plenty of cooling once it tears itself off...
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu