2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Chicane wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 14:25
When you make a big course correction regarding aerodynamic direction, three fourth of the way in to development you are not only going to be playing catch up all season long but also end up compromising the development schedule of next year's car as well. It is not just about time but the fact that a cost cap is in place makes it really challenging to manage their resource allocation.
The course correction has started though, during the off season, not after pre season. Whatever needs changing was identified even before the car launch. I think it's still well within a reasonable time to have a minimal effect on further developments and the '24 car. It may not be pretty, but the fact that Stella, who is new to the role and quite reserved is showing quite a bit of optimism and confidence in what's in the pipeline, I'm willing to go along with them and wait and see.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

McL-H wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 12:42
the EDGE wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 12:16
If they can get on the correct path with the Mcl60B, then there’s every chance of catching up by then
Why do you think so? Baku is in April. Season will be long underway then. They will need to learn and understand their MCL60B (although Stella doesn’t want to call it a B-car). That will take time, where current testing is largely meant for. While in April they are figuring out how their new car works, AM and Alpine will actually be developing their ones further. You play catch up and maybe you’ve catched up come Abu Dhabi. What’s the point?

It is a fruitless adventure imo. I hope you are right and I’m wrong. But I just don’t see it.
You mean Race 4 out of 23? With roughly 7/8th of the season left is long underway?… There will be plenty of season left to keep learning / working on the car and fighting for P4 at that point in time.

Marc.W

I'll be surprised if we make it out of Q1 for the first half of the season

Ben1980
Ben1980

Last year people were saying scrap the car, sack the lot of them. Make a B car. It was crazy. Then had a podium after a few races.

So much drama.

EddyBaggio

More problems around the wheel hubs…

organic

EddyBaggio wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 15:13
Norris hasn't gone out yet right? #-o

EddyBaggio

organic wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 15:15
EddyBaggio wrote:
Norris hasn't gone out yet right? #-o
13 laps so far.

Emag
Emag

We started last year with a car that was on set to be lapped twice on the race, and somehow I am expecting worse this time around.

Macklaren
Macklaren

EddyBaggio wrote:
Just putting in the same fix on the other side. Prob 10 min

Emag
Emag

And what pisses me off is that James Key was saying the car was fine after Bahrain last year. That really triggered me hard.

How can you be 3 seconds off the pace and say the car is fine. That's an astonishing level of unprofessionalism. That's your work there out on track failing to compete with cars produced on inferior circumstances, and your response is the car is fine?

I wrote him off after those comments last year. I guess McLaren has put the bet on him and it's too difficult to poach any valuable options from competitors at this point, but if he doesn't deliver when the infrastructure he likes to use as an excuse is upgraded, then he has to go.

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 12:10
mwillems wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 11:40

Bahrain was also one of our worst tracks last year and then we picked up, it is important to remember we are testing on a track we have not enjoyed or done well on in recent times.

I think this is why the team can gauge progress very well here, here they can see many flaws that they don't necessarily see at a track like Barcelona.
Last year certainly, before that Lando finished 4th in both ‘20 & ‘21, albeit in the previous car generation

I’m not sure what relevance any track would be at the moment, it guess it depends if any learning can be transferred to the new package
In terms of the cars performance it is relative to this track. We were bummed about the car last year after Bahrain but then we had some very good races, it is quite probable that the car doesn't like this track and will pick up in the following races.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 15:01
Last year people were saying scrap the car, sack the lot of them. Make a B car. It was crazy. Then had a podium after a few races.

So much drama.
Exactly.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McL-H
McL-H

CjC wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 14:53
McL-H wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 14:46
Chicane wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 14:25
When you make a big course correction regarding aerodynamic direction, three fourth of the way in to development you are not only going to be playing catch up all season long but also end up compromising the development schedule of next year's car as well. It is not just about time but the fact that a cost cap is in place makes it really challenging to manage their resource allocation.
Exactly this. You either compromise this year or next year when you’re on the back foot in current F1.
To both posters…. Aren’t the current cars just an evolution of their predecessors though?
So any development done to the 23 car, especially aero could be carried over to the 24 car?
It all depends on the 2024 concept on whether the 2023 parts can carry over.

If they’d retain the same design philosophy, than probably yes. If McLaren starts using their new facilities and their findings would lead to a different philosophy, than it could be yes for some parts and no for other parts. While knowledge carries over either way.

But if for example in a few months the team finds out and decides it needs to alter its rear suspension, then it can’t do so any more for 2023. If they were to change the suspension for 2024, this would likely change the gearbox too, could impact packaging, and thus aerodynamics. It all affects the concept of the new car and thus concept changes for 2024 can affect compatibility of 2023 parts on the 2024 car.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Oscar saying he believes the car will be "in the mix of the midfield"

organic

Seems they are trying to repair the front right again