[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Hi, would it be possible to have a bigger number of (nearer) slices generated by WFlow PP?

LVDH

Right now I am finally preparing the reports from the race. There I keep the number fixed.
You can try to change it for your own simulations by opening the mvrc.ini file in the mwflow_default_setting folder and adding these lines:
x_slices=12
y_slices=15
z_slices=15
Please confirm if it works. You will have to setup the case and at least rerun the command in the runCase.sh: mpirun -np $nCPUs sample -latestTime -noFunctionObjects -parallel
Or you just run a new case.

CAEdevice

Thank you, I will test it this evening.

CAEdevice

Hi, I am looking at the cars on the official website, trying to learn something from the other teams.
I have a curiosity about the heat exchanger position of JJR's car: are they placed in the front wheels axle area or in the rear wheels axle area?

JJR
JJR

Hi Matteo, heat exchangers are placed in the rear wheels axle area where rear diffuser start.

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:Hi Matteo, heat exchangers are placed in the rear wheels axle area where rear diffuser start.
I am going to test an identical configuration in a couple of days.

At the moment my hardware is busy with some tests to avoid convergence issues with my car, meanwhile I dedicated some time to look at the most successful design. My impression is that to place the heat exchanger in front of the rear wheels is the more versatile solution for both high and low df tracks.

Thank you for sharing the information.

LVDH

I thought the good thing about the JJR design was that it allowed fine tuning the cooling flow without affecting the CoP. His results show something else though.

I am finally uploading the reports from last race. Only now I noticed that I did the mistake I made on the Mercury car last time, which was generating too little slices this time on all cars. If anyone needs a full report let me know and I will fix it.
Also I have not forgotten the request from Pure Power Racing. I might get to it during the F1 race today, if not I will do it tomorrow morning.

We also need a deadline for the last race. What do you guys think about 10.12.2016? It would be a Saturday but that way I can get started cleaning the cars on Sunday which would help a lot.

Ft5fTL

LVDH wrote:I thought the good thing about the JJR design was that it allowed fine tuning the cooling flow without affecting the CoP. His results show something else though.

I am finally uploading the reports from last race. Only now I noticed that I did the mistake I made on the Mercury car last time, which was generating too little slices this time on all cars. If anyone needs a full report let me know and I will fix it.
Also I have not forgotten the request from Pure Power Racing. I might get to it during the F1 race today, if not I will do it tomorrow morning.

We also need a deadline for the last race. What do you guys think about 10.12.2016? It would be a Saturday but that way I can get started cleaning the cars on Sunday which would help a lot.
Thanks for not forgetting the request. I have some new ideas but i did not start before i could figure out the cooling. 10.12.2016 is fine by me.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

CAEdevice

Ok for me

etsmc
etsmc

dates fine with me

Update:
Having an issue with new version of mantium flow so have posted in the challenge forum

etsmc
etsmc

well if this last test is anything to go by and low drag is what we are after then a Cd value of 0.344 should do well....
I think something has gone wrong in that simulation but would be nice if it was correct :)

the fact that there is no flow through the HX and the balance is a little of are things to work on.

LVDH

Maybe you forgot the car body?

etsmc
etsmc

LVDH wrote:Maybe you forgot the car body?
just got into work and checked the geometry folder and all files are accounted for, so looks like it's all there. :wtf:

as I said downforce is still lacking but very close to my numbers from Sao Paulo, just need to gain back some rear downforce.
Another really strange number from the results was the pressure over the exhaust 392.273 Pa*m^2 :shock: my pressure on the exhaust always used to come out as a negative but now its positive and I have not flipped the face.

LVDH

You can send me the case. These numbers look wrong. Your car always created trouble for me.

etsmc
etsmc

have sent a copy of the geometry files I used for the case via dropbox, not able to send the case as the machine I run simulations on is at work.
The machine is also running another case when i left with only small adjustments to the car and it was up to iteration 989 and still reporting a Cd 0.316