Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: Mercedes W11

matt_b wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 14:15
Avocado wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 13:24
Mercedes unsure if it will run DAS in early races
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ... :lol:
We don't know how much time it is actually worth track by track and it carries a weight penalty, media are overhyping this system like its a silver bullet but if it was then Mercedes would've definitely kept it quiet until Australia.
I wonder if the have a DAS suspension and a sans-DAS suspension they can quickly plugin
If stewards rule illegal do they swap or lock in place

daniellammers
daniellammers

Something in my head thinks that DAS is to diverse us from the real revolution they've gone through
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

Airshifter

f1jcw wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 15:43
matt_b wrote:
Avocado wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 13:24

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ... :lol:
We don't know how much time it is actually worth track by track and it carries a weight penalty, media are overhyping this system like its a silver bullet but if it was then Mercedes would've definitely kept it quiet until Australia.
I wonder if the have a DAS suspension and a sans-DAS suspension they can quickly plugin
I would suspect that they have those bases covered already. I think they would assume it's a given that someone will officially protest, and though it appears the FIA might allow it, they would have to be ready just in case.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Airshifter wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 16:26
f1jcw wrote:
matt_b wrote:

I would suspect that they have those bases covered already. I think they would assume it's a given that someone will officially protest, and though it appears the FIA might allow it, they would have to be ready just in case.
FIA is separate from race stewards, that’s the problem

turbof1

f1jcw wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 16:42
Airshifter wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 16:26
f1jcw wrote:

FIA is separate from race stewards, that’s the problem
Not really, because technical matters can be appealed and it'll end up at a FIA tribunal.
#AeroFrodo

humble sabot

I suspect the real reason it's a maybe is that it's much like other cornering systems over the years that have required a different approach to the corner than the straight in addition to an additional physical movement. The McLaren extra brake pedal comes to mind. It took a bit of the season to actually profit both drivers because it took getting used to.

The other factor is that optimum tyre cooling on any given track varies with temperature and rain. So on some tracks it just won't offer an advantage. Though those might be the tracks where the slight top speed advantage will come back in to play. Long straights mean cooler brakes and sometimes cooler tyres by the end, but a longer straight means there's also more to be gained by reducing your rolling resistance.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

zibby43
zibby43

F1Krof

How does it stack against the other cars from this angle? The tightest? No?
Wroom wroom

nico5

F1Krof wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 12:26
By some margin

Chene_Mostert

nico5 wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 20:40
F1Krof wrote:
By some margin
not sure, she looks pretty chubby in the center section.
like there is an extra bulge.
a sort of a knocked up goat look to it.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

zibby43
zibby43

F1Krof wrote:
It's seriously impressive. The extra floor space visible in the overhead shot, starting at the front of the side pods on the W11, compared to the SF1000, is pretty striking (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28777&start=450).

Ferrari's is not as tight, as they still have a fair amount of their cooling equipment in the side pod region. Instead, Ferrari have a smaller, triangular roll hoop intake and larger shark fin surface area (both of those design choices work together in terms of freeing up flow toward the RW).

Merc is really wanting to force air downward to the rear of the floor and rear diffuser.

mmred
mmred

zibby43 wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 22:50
F1Krof wrote:
It's seriously impressive. The extra floor space visible in the overhead shot, starting at the front of the side pods on the W11, compared to the SF1000, is pretty striking (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28777&start=450).

Ferrari's is not as tight, as they still have a fair amount of their cooling equipment in the side pod region. Instead, Ferrari have a smaller, triangular roll hoop intake and larger shark fin surface area (both of those design choices work together in terms of freeing up flow toward the RW).

Merc is really wanting to force air downward to the rear of the floor and rear diffuser.
A longer car helps With the tighter rear obviously, but they pay the extraweight and mechanical umbalance

zibby43
zibby43

mmred wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 00:24
zibby43 wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

A longer car helps With the tighter rear obviously, but they pay the extraweight and mechanical umbalance
You can easily offset that weight by innovating with lighter materials elsewhere. There have been some credible "rumors" from someone that works at Merc GP that say the W11 is significantly lighter than the W10, and they have loads of ballast they can play with all over the car.

mmred
mmred

zibby43 wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 00:29
mmred wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

You can easily offset that weight by innovating with lighter materials elsewhere. There have been some credible "rumors" from someone that works at Merc GP that say the W11 is significantly lighter than the W10, and they have loads of ballast they can play with all over the car.
Sure, but compared to a shorter Mercedes car with the same materials technology you still have extra weight and less balance in sharp turns.

Technology Is a given

zibby43
zibby43

mmred wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 01:30
zibby43 wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 00:29
mmred wrote:

Sure, but compared to a shorter Mercedes car with the same materials technology you still have extra weight and less balance in sharp turns.

Technology Is a given
A lot of variables affect balance.