2014 Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
SectorOne

Re: 2014 Design

I get this feeling Button will be on the radio a lot next year.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

autogyro
autogyro

Holm86 wrote:
you get into eighth gear before you get to seventh gear now.
Im pretty sure its because the gears are longer next year. Or you stay in the same gear for larger rpm span.

So what he means is that on the new engines you shift into 8. gear before you would shift into 7. gear on the old engines.
I think you will find that the gears will be shorter next year with less of a range of RPM between shifts.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

doesn't that mean more rev drop shifting in the higher gears than the rev drop shifting through the lower gears ?

the mode of engine use being eg 10500-12300 rpm in most gears
but eg running in the highests gear over a bigger range eg 10500-14000 rpm
so the rpm takes up the slack, but only in the highest gears, maybe 7th and 8th

or ??
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 16 Dec 2013, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Holm86

autogyro wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
you get into eighth gear before you get to seventh gear now.
Im pretty sure its because the gears are longer next year. Or you stay in the same gear for larger rpm span.

So what he means is that on the new engines you shift into 8. gear before you would shift into 7. gear on the old engines.
I think you will find that the gears will be shorter next year with less of a range of RPM between shifts.
I dont think so. The powerband of the engine is much wider. Why not take advantage of that? And the gear ratios are fixed so I dont see why you would want a close ratio gearbox. The ratios for the individual gears may be lower than they were with the V8's. But I think the distance between the ratios will be larger.

FW17

What Jenson says is questionable

The gear ratio of the 8th gear is going to be based on monza 340 kmph, with final ratio used only for the 30 kmph (or less), I don't see how/why Jenson would be jumping to 8th any sooner

Huntresa
Huntresa

WilliamsF1 wrote:What Jenson says is questionable

The gear ratio of the 8th gear is going to be based on monza 340 kmph, with final ratio used only for the 30 kmph (or less), I don't see how/why Jenson would be jumping to 8th any sooner
Its not rly questionable since he didnt specify on what track he would do this or if he would do everywhere, but seeing as he is the one that has been in the simulator and not any of us i think his word is ok to believe.

scarbs
scarbs

ringo wrote:I'd like to know why most of the designs here have the nose tip kinked upwards?
Are you guys doing this for any particular reason? or is it because of what you have seen on the previous year's cars?

It's not wise to design from styling, you be surprised at what wont work if you don't understand why it is how it is.

3.7.8 Only a single section, which must be open, may be contained within any longitudinal vertical
cross section taken parallel to the car centre line forward of a point 150mm ahead of the front
wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line and more than 125mm above the
reference plane.
This rule above makes all the noses above illegal by the way. Especially the boat hull bulb thingy. If you take any section outside of the webbing you will have 2 sections.

The nose must have a tapered shape taping away from the nose tip basically, if it is to comply with the above rule.
I guess they are kicked up to provide a link back to the front bulkhead, remembering that the finger section is part of the crash structure. What do you propose is a better idea?

BTW many of these nose designs are legal, it just depends on the detail of their design. Mitsura’s is legal, just as McLaren’s similar design was legal. You just need to provide a link between the side of any upper and lower surfaces. You can draw almost all of these designs to meet the single section rule.

PlatinumZealot

Because of the torque maybe... Or maybe just because of the characteristic of Jerez track surface in the winter. More wheel spin on an cold road means you have to shift up earlier. Or maybe the power dilevery is so flat you can have a reaaally long eighth gear for the straights??
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

langwadt
langwadt

n smikle wrote:

Because of the torque maybe... Or maybe just because of the characteristic of Jerez track surface in the winter. More wheel spin on an cold road means you have to shift up earlier. Or maybe the power dilevery is so flat you can have a reaaally long eighth gear for the straights??
with the fuel flow limit and rev. limit the power from the ICE should be nearly constant from 10k to 15k

PhillipM
PhillipM

You'll probably most of the rpm's available to run at monza, where's other tracks you'll be flat out near the fuel flow limit at ~10krpm, so you 'll be in 8th gear by ~220 ish.

djos

Perhaps some traditional F1 mind games?
"In downforce we trust"

autogyro
autogyro

It will all get closer to the powertrain definitions for electric racing.
With fuel flow and fuel amount limits, the gearing will reflect this and be tuned to the 'sweet spot'.

ringo

because the power band is so wide, he may shift at 10,500 instead of 15000 in each gear.
The 8th gear will be tall ofcourse, but the engine will allow him to shift to eight and still get decent acceleration.
For Sure!!

wuzak
wuzak

ringo wrote:

because the power band is so wide, he may shift at 10,500 instead of 15000 in each gear.
The 8th gear will be tall ofcourse, but the engine will allow him to shift to eight and still get decent acceleration.
He will shift gears so that in the new gear he will be at 10,500rpm. This will not require him to rev to 15k.

siskue2005

theWPTformula wrote:
siskue2005 wrote: Does the rule say how wide the pylons should be ?
If not they can put a small slit in the single pylon and claim it as two pieces
Yes, article 3.7.2 in the regulations. Must be no greater than 25mm wide and maximum area of 5000mm^2 in total.
i didnt understand
are you talking about single pylon or both?