Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
cdsavage
cdsavage

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

An update on the rule changes: the email asking for votes needs to be sent out soon. I think we should make these final changes to the proposal:

- Increase area template requirement (something like 170K mm^2)

- Cooling outlet outer template 900mm long, with the final 325mm allowed to intersect the rear suspension templates

- Drivetrain template split into 2 templates instead of 3 - engine template and gearbox template (no upper/lower engine template)

- Abandon the 'shrouding' rule on the outer templates for the inlets. Use the subjective wording in K4.1 and K4.3 to govern unrealistic designs which would otherwise be legal. If this becomes a big problem then we could think about re-introducing this rule, or something similar.

- The 'realistic volumes' between the cooling inlet and outlet, and between the engine inlet and the engine: use 'offset' guides in the guide file to indicate how much space should be left between the bodywork and the corresponding internal template, where neccesary, to remove some of the subjective interpretation. Would not apply to cases where the internal flow would not pass by these templates (for example, where the inlets and outlets are both in the 'sidepod' area of the car).

CAEdevice

I like very much the new rules, they would correct the not realistic designs, but I'm not sure about voting. I think that the KVRC team should decide. Being an opponent (my car would be almost legal) and a sponsor I decided for the "not voting option".

A question about the rules: what about the side impact structures?

cdsavage
cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:A question about the rules: what about the side impact structures?
No change from the first version, the upper structure is unchanged and the lower one removed.

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

@CAEdevice I contacted Richard but unfortunately they are discontinuing the distribution of openFoam as a standalone. So no help from their side...

Race #3 Nurburgring is getting really close (less than a week to go). The submission deadline is 25th June...

etsmc
etsmc

Car submitted lets hope the changes make a big difference..

CAEdevice

Hi, I'm back to my workstation after weeks.
It's too late to deeply develop the car for the third race, but I think I have partially corrected some of the problems I had during race 2.

I have to questions for the staff:

1 - Is there on the KVRC website a table with standings/points?
2 - The link to the latest release of OCCF points to a 008 release. I've installed the last one announced on the forum (006, May 31st): should I upgrade?

TalnoRacing

Updated design submitted, hopefully it performs better than my Monaco entry.

Arno

RicME85

I submitted yesterday, have gone for a design that incorporates some changes from the new rule proposal

cdsavage
cdsavage

There's a little over 48 hours until the deadline for round 3. So far we have entries from:
TalnoRacing
BrookMotorsport
MercuryMotorsport
Kineuton

It would be a good idea to make a separate copy of your working files when you make the submission. Last round there were a couple of people who were asked to resubmit due to legality issues, but they had continued working on their models and no longer had a copy of the model as it was submitted. This made it difficult to resubmit with no changes other than the fixes for the legality issues.

CAEdevice

Is Kineuton a new team?

PS: You forgot CAEdevice in the list of submitted cars :)

cdsavage
cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:Is Kineuton a new team?

PS: You forgot CAEdevice in the list of submitted cars :)
Yes, first entry from Kineuton. And you're right, I forgot CAEdevice.

Another thing for everyone to keep in mind before submitting - if there were any 'minor' legality issues from round 2, these are carried over and need to be fixed for round 3.

Gridiot
Gridiot

Hi guys,

I'm the Kineuton entry and I'm pleased to join you for the next race.
First of all, congratulation to Julien and Chris to run such an interesting challenge!
I'll probably post a render of my car here soon. I haven't done any CFD yet, so I don't even know if the balance will be right but I hope I got some concepts right. I may have a look at OCCFD after this round if I have enough time for development between races.

Looking forward to the race.
KVRC Team Kineuton

CAEdevice

Gridiot wrote:Hi guys,

First of all, congratulation to Julien and Chris to run such an interesting challenge!
I'll probably post a render of my car here soon. I haven't done any CFD yet, so I don't even know if the balance will be right but I hope I got some concepts right. I may have a look at OCCFD after this round if I have enough time for development between races.

Looking forward to the race.
Hi Gridiot! Welcome to the KVRC!

machin

Gridiot wrote:Hi guys,

Cool, looking forward to seeing your car on the grid!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH