How soon can Vettel win 2011 WDC?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: How soon can Vettel win 2011 WDC?

Diesel wrote:If Newey left Red Bull, they would slowly go backwards down the grid. You can see this in McLaren & Williams.
Probably. Out of interest, does Newey keep the same people around him whenever he changes team or is it all on him? It is stagering to think of the number of excellent cars he has been instrumental in designing.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Nowhere in 06/07/08? 2005 onwards the McLaren was possibly the fastest car on the grid.

He doesn't just pop a winning design out overnight though, it certainly takes him a while, just look at the progress of the Red Bulls over the years, you can clearly see the evolution.

CHT
CHT

Diesel wrote:I would say any driver in the top 3 teams could probably set that car up and dominate. Your suggesting that the other drivers are inexperienced F3000 drivers that don't know anything about setting a car up. All of the top drivers have this skill.

SV is not more the 'right driver' than any other driver in the top 3/4 teams. The car is massively superior, the guy who designed it has done it plenty of times before so it's no suprise. Couple that with the full backing of the team, and SV has got all the tools he needs to walk away with this championship.

There's no reason he shouldn't dominate at the moment either, really he should have done the same last year, they just made a big of a meal out of it.
are you judging vettel based on this season alone or his F1 career since he started as 3rd driver for bmw in 2006?

PlatinumZealot

Redmondo wrote:A little off-topic, but I think this Newey religion is a bit overboard. Doesn't anybody remember Ferrari beating him over the head with a baseball bat for -five- straight years? Or the fact that his cars were nowhere in 2006, 2007 and 2008?

He's obviously excellent but not everything he touches turns to gold.
Newey like all humans learn to do things better over time. Now he has more resources, freedom to create what he wants and better people around him. That's any engineer would want.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

LionKing wrote:
Diesel wrote:Webber is probably quite close to Vettel, but he doesn't have the full backing of the team. He says he's struggling to adapt to the Pirelli tyres this year. Let me think, which Red Bull driver was it that attended the first Pirelli tyre test last year? Red Bull had a massive problem with two championship contenders in their team last year, and it nearly lost them the title. It looks like this year they've fixed that problem.
Why did not those McLaren drivers win the previous three races all where they were faster than Red Bull in race?
Because track position is king.
With this year tires and the available of DRS, I think it is more important to have the better car in race than the fastest car in qualifying.

If you are fast in race, a lot of opportunities become available to you. Can use DRS on straights, pit a lap early for fresh tires to undercut. The lead car can not cover all the possible strategies. For instance in this race Vettel opened 3 and 4 seconds gap in first and second stints but the gap evaporated when he pitted later than Webber and Alonso.

Webber is nowhere near Vettel. The best he managed out of eight races is one second place which also means that he got beaten by a non-Red Bull car in seven races. As for the tires he should now have ~10K km on these Pirellis.
Webber is driving a RedCow not a redBull..lol If he hadn't had his unfair share of problems he would still be a shoe in for WDC (if he was the number 1). What Vettel is doing any decent driver can do... stick it on pole and cruze to the finish.

LxVxFxHxN

Caito
Caito

Well.. webber's got the same car and is nowhere near. Anyone can do it, but he's the one doing it, and the one with luck. Vettel could also go to a Mclaren and have a faster race pace as button does.. who cares.

He's delivering. all but 1 poles. all but 2 races, and 2nd positions.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

PlatinumZealot

Who cares. You got it! That is EXACTLY the point!

Did you read the post race press conference? Vettel said he was, "racing against his car." LOL what the hell? OK.. lets just wait till 2013 guys. Maybe then Newey might screw up his designs.

MW: I think this is probably our weakest track of the year, maybe, so we didn't do too badly today on a very weak track. We have a different regulation from Silverstone onwards and we expect that we can still be pretty competitive again. If we can keep Valencia as one of our weakest, definitely our top three weakest tracks, we didn't do too badly today, so we should go OK on the other ones.
:shock: :shock:

LxVxFxHxN

CHT
CHT

Diesel wrote:Webber is probably quite close to Vettel, but he doesn't have the full backing of the team. He says he's struggling to adapt to the Pirelli tyres this year. Let me think, which Red Bull driver was it that attended the first Pirelli tyre test last year? Red Bull had a massive problem with two championship contenders in their team last year, and it nearly lost them the title. It looks like this year they've fixed that problem.
And yes, Mclaren is now showing their superiority because of the 3 days of tyre testing with MP4-25 in Valencia early this year.

Mr Alcatraz

Suzuka?
What do I win? :P
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

CHT
CHT

So far Vettel is gaining an average of 9.6pt per race, if he continues at this rate, he should be able to seal the WDC in Singapore.

77 + (9.6 x 6) = 134.6 pt with 5 races left.

However if RBR continues to dominate at Silverstone, Mclaren and Ferrari might have to make a decision to abandon 2011 development and concentrate on 2012.

And that will leave Webber as the only real challenger to Vettel's title. So if RBR finishes 1-2 for the rest of the season wth Webber finishes 2nd, then the WDC will have to be delayed to Japan.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

CHT wrote:
And yes, Mclaren is now showing their superiority because of the 3 days of tyre testing with MP4-25 in Valencia early this year.
If you can't see that Vettel is being favoured inside that team then you are clearly blind.

Traction

Diesel wrote:
CHT wrote:
If you can't see that Vettel is being favoured inside that team then you are clearly blind.
any definitive facts to prove that?
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

The Silverstone 2010 front wing debacle - 'not bad for a number 2 driver'. Vettel being elected to do the first Pirelli tyre test in the RB6.

His frustration inside that team is plain to see, with alot of angry public outbursts this year:-

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... an-vettel/

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Vettel is the lead driver in the team so that is why he gets the new bits first. I don't recall anyone complaining when Hamilton was getting the updates first over Heikki Kovalainen. Double standards me thinks.

Over defensive Hamilton fans rebuke in 3, 2, 1....

In fact the same can be said for all teams, but it is only certain drivers that are critisized for this. The designated number 1 driver gets the new toys first. Most number 2 drivers accept this and quietly get on with it, however there are the odd 1 or 2 who throw their toys out the pram, notably Barrichello (who obviously didn't understand that being told that they have driver 1A and 1B was just another way of telling him he was the number 2 driver) and to a lesser extent Webber who runs his mouth from time to time.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

It seems your memory is poor. The issue was that both drivers received a new front wing. Vettels failed, so they took Webbers and bolted it on to Vettels car. Webber vented his fury in the press conference after qualifying, slamming his glass down on the table after saying "I think the team is happy with the result". Webber wen't on to win the race and famously said over the radio "Not bad for a number 2 driver".

I agree, most teams do prefer one driver and that driver can sometimes get development parts before the other. Hamilton Vs. Kovalainen is hardly a good example now is it? Hamilton won the championship in the 2008 McLaren, where exactly was Kovalainen? You could argue Kovalainen was given poor equipment, but he doesn't exactly have a good track record.

Trust me, I will be the first to scream and shout the day Mclaren give development parts to Hamilton, and not to Button ;)