2013 Indian GP - Buddh

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Unc1e_M0nty

Re: 2013 Indian GP - Buddh

Agreed that the season feels really flat right now, sooner he wraps it up the better.

Aero is king and has been for the last few seasons, I really hope it changes next season because this is bad for business, and bad for motor racing fans.

flynfrog

Shrieker wrote:
FoxHound wrote: But red bull have to be applauded for finding this solution in such tight regulations and tests too.
They also have to be applauded for having the thickest wallet. I think some of their speed comes from being able to spend a lot much more without ever feeling the sting of it. That's my uneducated guess.
to bad they don't give trophies for trying really hard. :roll:
Speed costs money how fast do you want to spend. This applies at all levels of racing.

SectorOne

flynfrog wrote:Speed costs money how fast do you want to spend. This applies at all levels of racing.
Not really.
Similar sports to F1 yes, but spec series no. The emphasis is much more on team/driver/setup.
In F1 it´s first and foremost car design and who can pump in the most money.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Unc1e_M0nty wrote: Aero is king and has been for the last few seasons,
Aero (by which I think you mean downforce or perhaps L/D) has been king for decades, not just the last few seasons.

F1 is an "aero series". Got bad aero? You're not going to win.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

flynfrog

SectorOne wrote:
flynfrog wrote:Speed costs money how fast do you want to spend. This applies at all levels of racing.
Not really.
Similar sports to F1 yes, but spec series no. The emphasis is much more on team/driver/setup.
In F1 it´s first and foremost car design and who can pump in the most money.
you must have never been involved with a spec series. They guys with more money can rent the track out for the weekend get better at setting up the car. They can afford a "more spec" motor. They can afford new tires every race. They can run data acquisition. They have more better tools ect. Not saying its a shut out but it sure doesn't hurt.

spiritone
spiritone

RBR have more than the best aero. Renault has been ahead in the engine game for quite awhile despite most people thinking that merc had the most power. Now that the v8 engine formula is coming to an end renault is showing how far they were ahead in the mapping game. (well at least in vettles car) Ferrari and merc better get it together fast our they will be chasing again.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

flynfrog wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
FoxHound wrote: But red bull have to be applauded for finding this solution in such tight regulations and tests too.
They also have to be applauded for having the thickest wallet. I think some of their speed comes from being able to spend a lot much more without ever feeling the sting of it. That's my uneducated guess.
to bad they don't give trophies for trying really hard. :roll:
Speed costs money how fast do you want to spend. This applies at all levels of racing.
You also had teams like Honda and Toyota spending hundreds of millions for their mediocrity.

Juzh

So cutting and extending corners in qualifying is permitted by charlie whiting. Expect some serious off-roading when things get real.

atanatizante

RBR are very slow down on the straight so it'll be very interesting to see Vettel how is managing the situation after 5 or 6 laps into the race when he will hit the traffic ...

Another thing : bearing in mind that the softs lasts very short time, could anyone in top 10 be thinking to start on the primes? who could be and what's the advantages vs. disadvantages?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Juzh

atanatizante wrote:RBR are very slow down on the straight so it'll be very interesting to see Vettel how is managing the situation after 5 or 6 laps into the race when he will hit the traffic ...
They'll be so much faster with new tires it won't be such a problem.

tim|away
tim|away

Juzh wrote:So cutting and extending corners in qualifying is permitted by charlie whiting. Expect some serious off-roading when things get real.
I was shocked to hear that as well. Apparently, Charlie Whiting argues that drivers aren't gaining an advantage during qualifying by leaving the track with all four tyres. Consistency anyone?!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Air Sauber..

atanatizante

Juzh wrote:
atanatizante wrote:RBR are very slow down on the straight so it'll be very interesting to see Vettel how is managing the situation after 5 or 6 laps into the race when he will hit the traffic ...
What I really wanna see here is how would be Vettel behind Hulk after the first pit stop on a similar situation like Lewis was in Korea ... Vettel 312km/h and Hulk 319km/h and a mighty traction setup for turn 3 ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Juzh

atanatizante wrote:
Juzh wrote:
What I really wanna see here is how would be Vettel behind Hulk after the first pit stop on a similar situation like Lewis was in Korea ... Vettel 312km/h and Hulk 319km/h and a mighty traction setup for turn 3 ...
If vet hits drs train then he could have a problem, otherwise not so much i think. Hulk has maybe something like 300-305 kph max speed when heavy on fuel and no drs. And he's gonna have worse traction off turn 3 being on older tires than the ones who have just pitted (+ it's a red bull behind you with best traction of anyone). I do see some people going for hard tire start though, no question about it. Jenson button could be one of those.

SamH123
SamH123

These tyres are making things interesting

Massa & Vettel both did heavy fuel runs after their quali sim

Massa did his first 6 laps in 553s, Vettel in just under 560s. (that's a big difference) Vettel had very minimal traffic so Massa's traffic can't have been much worse. I wonder if the soft tyres are behaving a bit like pre Germany tires for RB and their high downforce/camber (?) are catching them out a bit

I imagine they will still win the race as they can blitz it on the meds but the race might have some interest. Not sure there is any chance RB won't try and get pole though